1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Agree. We can become predictable to opposing defenses. We need to surprise them at times also and have them hit the panic button, otherwise they get into a rhythm in terms of how they will defend against us if we come at them in the same way each time. Watching the way we played in the first half in containing them in their own half was like churning butter.

2. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    We do have plan B and C and so on. That’s why sometimes you see CalMac drop deeper and other times you have inverted fullbacks receiving the ball in midfield. It’s essentially a chess game where our players have a move for every defensive move.

You aren’t going to see Ange gamble the small percentages. If you want him to do that, you will be waiting forever. He wants his team to play the high percentage game.

On the break is a different thing all together, the percentages go up for the attacking team.

Of course Mikey was awesome late on. The game is tailored to him coming on late because the hard graft has taken place, the opposition are tired by then. It’s no coincidence that we could have won the last 3-4 by much bigger margins than our 2-0’s because that’s what Ange’s system does.

Wee Baldy and George Theodorou like this.
  3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yes City is very very similar and it’s no coincidence since Yokohama FM are under the City Group.

4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :50:At least, what should be done is to have secret triggers for suddenly dropping the patient build-up, in favor of a surprise period of about 5-10 minutes of direct, risky football, aimed to shock the opposition who have, up until that point, thought themselves to be safe. Long shots, fearless runs forward at defenders, crosses, and passes of any length.
    I have a reputation for favoring a strong defense, but I was as frustrated with our play in the first half, as you were. Thank * Juranović was fed up with it, too. I like players who take responsibility in attack.

5. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Rogic always looks nackered midway through the second half . He is more effective in forcing a positive outcome in the final score for us when he comes on in the second half with fresh legs against a tiring opposition. He takes advantage of this and has the vision to make the killer ball that will finish off the game for us. The Aberdeen game comes to mind.

Wee Baldy and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    True, the mobility of the midfield could be improved with CalMac moving up. Bitton can take his current position, making it easier to even form a temporary 3 at the back. Callum could then be left to roam, and screw up the marking patterns of the opposition.

7. thefutebollover

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota and Kyogo
    Ange has been heavily influenced by Pep Guardiola since Brisbane Roar. Similar style, variations in play and formations. That's why he was hired by YFM.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I get your comparison, and since I follow a chess channel, I'd definitely say we loiok like the work of a positional style chess player, slow and cautious when doing their moves. The problem is that chess players in classical format get hours of time to think their moves through. A game of football is closer to a rapid time format.

I'd rather see a gamble, because we shouldn't assume that an average SPFL defense will handle every adventurous pass forward perfectly. I'd say our percentages are medium at worst, not low, knowing who our midfielders are.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  9. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I get where you are coming from, it feels monotonous passing about or backwards and yes no doubt some of the SPFL teams struggle with a gambled ball, but it’s not done for no reason and has bigger fish in mind.

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bigger fish in mind- yes, but I'd rather see us prepare specifically for them, rather than mainly train the team in this "sedation" style for games we are expected to attack and win. Really good teams will also punish mistakes by our defenders as they pass amongst themselves. Controlling possession is risky unless your defenders are blessed with great awareness of an opposition player's location. On top of technique.
    Having been used to blunders stemming from defenders trying to play from the back when they can't, I developed the view that it doesn't matter who has possession, but where is the ball. If the ball is in the opposition's danger area= great. In ours=red alert!

That being said, I would have to tip my hat off to Ange if we got a result against a big team in Europe through making the game a snoozefest by hogging possession. That's never been done before by any manager, in my time as a Celtic fan.

George Theodorou likes this.
  11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We have all seen teams in Europe that play out badly from the back and concede silly, unnecessary goals that look ridiculous and are a gift to the opposing side.It leaves defenders looking like dimwits. No matter what, the ball in such a deep area of the defense is a gift waiting to be accepted by alert attackers when the ball is being played out badly. It can turn a game on its head and undermine all the good work by that team leading up to that mistake. Frankly it is a kick to the guts that is not needed and should not happen.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  12. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Did not know he had his own book. Might be worth a wee read :)

13. Lewis Kerr

Rogic rarely affects the game when he's coming on as a sub. He's a starter all day long if he's fit.

Wee Baldy and Spring Time like this.
  14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Have read it, helps you understand him as a man and coach/manager . Deals mainly while he was in Australia as a club and national coach/manager. How he views football.

Wllm likes this.
  15. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Going to pick up a copy I think. Does the book touch on his time at Brisbane Roar?

What he done there was actually incredible

16. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Yes it does, but not in great depth. Best to read a few reviews first if you wish to buy it. I have lent it to a friend but have not got it back yet because of lock-down covid restrictions here in Melbourne.Otherwise I could have given you the page references.

Wllm likes this.
  17. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Cheers mate. I'm going order it. Read some reviews which sounded good. Sounds more like an insight into him and his mentality rather than an outright autobiography.

AussieGreek likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Mr Cleansheets

No it's not a biography.

Very interesting book though. I've reviewed it on Goodreads.

Wllm likes this.
  20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    In regards to his book, look at youtube clip - Sport and Leadership Speaker Ange Postecoglou. 5.15mins. Ange talks about his book.

Wllm likes this.