1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Graeme Mathie... Our new DoF?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Oct 24, 2021.

Discuss Graeme Mathie... Our new DoF? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    He was at the game yesterday.

Highly doubt he was there to enjoy the kick about. It was also speculated he was sitting with his agent/ lawyer (by * in the pub).

Also to be noted, he wouldn't be sitting there in full view UNLESS negotiations had been concluded already.

Rags are running with it too.

Thoughts?

2. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Great to have another Graeme at the club, a name that’s been under represented for a long time at Celtic

Wllm, Creativecelt, Fontaine and 15 others like this.
  3. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Can't say I know too much about the guy but an external appointment is very much preferred to an internal move. I know he was at Hibs for a few years.

Edit - Just checked his linkedin and he was at Celtic in a few roles between 2005 - 2012 spending 4 years as scouting analyst for us

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Even with past Celtic experience I wouldn't call it a job for the boys. He's been away from the club for a long time and left to get experience elsewhere.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  5. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Not good enough for Hibs? Have a bigger job at Celtic. See this dude started out as a player at Coventry under WGS and with his sons as well? Just saying like. And his time with us before largely coincides with WGS time here.

Fontaine, Doogs. and LectersLuncheon like this.
  6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Aye I agree with that it was quite a while ago he was here

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No idea who he is, but happy to see signs that moves are being made in the background.

8. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Six of one half a dozen of the other.

BAD: Although he's done what *ahem" "others" refuse to do, which is move on, develop elsewhere, get much needed experience and prove himself...this appointment would indicate that the board, have once again, cast a very small net is search of this appointment. His history with the Strachan clan, as well as already being a past employee Inna number if roles, again, underscores the limited vision of this board which is tantamount to pure laziness at best, at worst, another example if penny pinching and financial scrimping. A wider net, a more involved hiring process, evaluation and research if candidates costs money. Mathie would cost a mere fraction to hire. No due diligence it research required, merely ask WGS and other current and past employees if he's done well at Hibs.

GOOD: There's been no doubt he did a great job for Hibs in the seven years he was there. He completely transformed their scouting department and football operations. A cursory look at their transfer history pre and post Mathie speaks volumes. He did however come in for some very heavy fan criticism in the last window. With Hibs fans lamenting his inability to sign a striker before the deadline. There's also fan rumors that the reason he is left Hibs was because he wasn't able to secure any considerable fees for any of their squad, which was a directive given by the Hibs honchos. Overall though, Hibs fans were more than content with him, and credit him with transforming their footballing operations, as well as being a very affable character.

Verdict: Obviously we can do better. Maybe alot better. But given the board we're saddled with it, could be alot worse. We could end up with WGS or some * pencil neck plucked from DD's little black book of " Irish people who I like".
    He's proven himself, both previously at Celtic and on his own feet at Hibs. He knows the Scottish game, will be familiar with financial constraints, and appears to have decent enough contacts with EPL side's.

But still. I think we can do so much better.

9. bebackman

Fav Celtic Player:
    broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    I know him from a spell he spent with Clark Drive * team in the Ayrshire Leagues
    Decent fella who lived for football .went to hibs and done a decent job

10. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Better aff wi Graham Murty

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As long as the guy is professional and ambitious am happy with this. Finally a step in the right direction! (If indeed we hire him).

12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I wonder what a considerable fee is for them. They got less than 3m for Mcginn and it will be a while before someone as good as him plays for them. Nisbet, I think is the only player they could get 3m plus for and that's providing a Championship side fancied paying out which I bet they won't.

13. TheHappyLoss

14. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

nail on head, typical behind the scenes appt from us i.e. someone we already know, has been involved with the club

it looks like we have an absolute control freak as owner, who only wants people he knows, can control, is this to limit damage in case of fallouts and limit damage in the media, leaks e.t.c.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    My thoughts exactly.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  16. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Would rather someone with knowledge beyond Scotland or the UK.

Seems we limit ourselves to such a narrow pool of people then it's little wonder we're turning into a parochial club who can barely compete in Europe any more.

Dreadful.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Wee Strachan playing a blinder, take a wedge off the club for a ‘performance review’ to pass on his mates phone number and sail off into the sunset.

martin_d likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

How inspiring.

Peej likes this.
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    A few will clap along and want to give the guy a chance, I get that and what is going to come across as negative is not a slight on the guy at all.
    But, if this is the extent of our appointment to DoF then I do not expect * all to happen going forward.
    Another lazy job for the boys with someone who very much is one of the boys in regards to past experience at the club and connections to two very highly positioned staff members already in the club.

Consider the board recently have blasted Dom McKay for NOT being "very much a team player" and the former club lawyer is now in his job, I wouldn't expect anything else from this proposed appointment of a DoF to very much be in the same mold of someone "very much a team player" for this board.

No chance are they taking a risk appointing someone else who won't toe the party line, so expect this guy, regardless of how professional or ambitious he may want to be, to do just that.

20. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Definitely smacks of job for the boys who won’t rock the boat. Let’s be realistic here and ask is this guy going to enhance the club going forward on a world stage? I think it is more like someone who can manage his way around Scottish football. Definitely uninspired appointment.

Although TBF I don’t know the guy at all.

Peej likes this.