1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jota.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Jota. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

WHEN the Celtic players trudged off the pitch at half-time during their Europa League fixture with Ferencvaros on Tuesday, the fans inside the stadium could be forgiven for feeling a little uneasy. The Hungarians hadn’t truly threatened Joe Hart’s goal, nor could they be said to have really laid a glove on Ange Postecoglou’s side, yet things weren’t exactly clicking into gear for their hosts either.

The mood in the home dressing room was one of confidence, despite the game being goalless at the break. That faith in themselves would be rewarded in the second half as first Kyogo Furuhashi and then David Turnbull benefitted from the incisive passing of on-loan Benfica forward Jota to seal a 2-0 win.

After recording back-to-back away wins in the league, there is a sense that this Celtic side have turned a corner after getting a rather sizeable gorilla off of their backs. It’s this belief that meant the players’ heads didn’t drop at the interval against Ferencvaros, according to Jota, and the Portuguese reckons that confidence will only grow within Postecoglou’s squad.

“In the first half they were a bit more compact,” he explained. “We knew what we had to do.

“We had to stick with our ideas, with our process. Some guys were getting tired and we had to fill the spaces they left for us. We took advantage and scored so it was really good.

“Big things and big achievements need some constructions.

There are rough times, there are good times but we just need to believe. That’s the most important thing.

“We are all starting to believe in the ideas and to try and get through the difficulties and yes, I think the time in the future will tell us what we have been preparing and hopefully some good things are going to happen.

“[Growing in confidence] is very important because we are all new. We didn’t know each other and it’s crucial we learn throughout thegames. Like a family we need to stick together and keep doing our thing.

With the game approaching the hour mark, it was Jota’s threaded through ball that undid theFerencvaros defence and sent Furuhashiscarpering through to slot the ball home and hand Celtic the advantage in matchday three.

It was a superb demonstration of the winger’sprecision under pressure and the assist highlighted the burgeoning relationship between the two summer signings on the pitch – but Jota will be putting the hours in off the park to ensure greater communication between himself and the Japan internationalist.

“For sure [I enjoy assists as much as goals]because the team winning is the most important thing,” he reasoned. “The feeling is really good when that happens.

“If I can contribute with assists or goals, it’s really good. I’m really happy to see my team-matesscore.

“I’m starting to get to know Kyogo and hismovements are unbelievable. He really can move, he’s one of the best players I’ve seen doing movements.

“I saw his move and I wanted to do the pass. It was good because he scored, he did a really good reception [of the ball].

“Unfortunately, Kyogo doesn’t speak English so [developing a relationship] been quite difficult.

“Actually, it’s funny because I said to Kyogo if he didn’t learn English then it’s no worries because I will try to learn some Japanese so we can talk.

“I will definitely go to learn some Japanese to speak with him but I think the most important thing is inside the pitch we are starting to get to know each other.

“Game after game we are going to get better.”

After losing out to Real Betis and Bayer Leverkusen in their first two group stage games, the victory over Ferencvaros has reignited Postecoglou’s hopes of making it through to the knockout stages.

Jota knows a win in Budapest in two weeks’ time would go a long way to helping his team achieve that particular objective but is remaining focused on domestic matters for the time being.

“We had been looking for something like this,” he said. “We had two games with negative results and we wanted to do something good.

“I think we did very well and now we are looking to the next games.

“For sure [we can have a repeat performance over there]. All the games are different though and we will try to learn as much as possible from thisgame and try to fix what we didn’t do so good.

“I think it will be a good game in Budapest and now we are focusing on our first games in Scotland so we have time to think about that match.”

Tuesday’s clash had the unusual kick-off time of 3:30pm but that didn’t stop over 50,000 Celtic supporters descending on Parkhead to create a raucous atmosphere inside.

It was the first time that Jota had sampled the famous crowd’s salutations for a European encounter, and he admits the fervour from the stands caught him a little off-guard – even if he was somewhat dubious about how so many fans managed to get the time off work to attend the game.

He added: “I would like for every football fan just to experience a game in Celtic Park. I’m telling this to my family and my friends because it is definitely something different.

“You feel things about football that you don’t feel in other places. The atmosphere today speaks for itself. It’s an afternoon, most people have to work and the stadium is full. They have to come from their jobs or they are skipping, I don’t know!

“They make the effort to come to our games and enjoy them, and we are grateful.

2. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Watched the game again. He's so comfortable on both sides of the pitch. Superb option to have and allows us to fit in Mickey.

martin_d and eire4 like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Wake me up before you go go .cause I'm gonna pass to kyogo ...Will it catch on ??

5. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    What a player. So good I would let him clap my cheeks

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Wee Baldy likes this.
  6. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Quickly becoming my favourite player. So exciting, creative and productive on the ball. Has flair and the x-factor . . . the lot! I was directly in line with him when he made that killer pass to kyogo. Time stood still as the ball left his boot. Great touch and finish, too. Happy days.

Rydo1888* and Wee Baldy like this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That pass man..

Could watch it all day..

What an outrageous talent..

8. Hydrobhoy

6.5m is pennies for his talent get him signed and if the board don't stump up there will be a revolution and we will all have to do a go fund me to sign him ourselves

terrasidius likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou admits he’s optimistic about Celtic’s chances of keeping hold of Jota beyond next summer while he plots another raid on the J League.

The Hoops gaffer joked his board should stick some cash away for the £6.5m buy out clause to land Jota on a permanent deal from Benfica

Postecoglou also admitted securing Jota in the long term is a decision for down the line but the Portuguese attacker is relishing life in Scotland.

The 22-year-old stole the show in Tuesday’s Europa League win against Ferencvaros with punters already convinced Celtic should be stumping up to make him a permanent fixture at Parkhead.

Postecoglou said: “I don’t know if it works that way, if that’s how they (board) do things – if I’d need to tell them to put some money aside.

“We’ll always make decisions that are in the best interests of the football club and also the player.

“Jota is just starting his career but he’s already fallen in love with the club.

“He loves the environment here and the supporters. Who wouldn’t?

“Who wouldn’t want to play for a football club where you get 60,000 cheering you on. The crowd is something special.

“Let’s just let him enjoy it. Those kind of decisions will come in due course.

“From our perspective, I know everyone here is the same, we’ll do what’s best for the football club moving forward and that will be in consultation with the player’s wishes.”

10. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Pay the money celtic. Make a good decision at board level for once please

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The flick for the penalty man :35:

Rydo1888* and The Phoenix like this.
  12. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    How many motm's is he on now? lol

Rydo1888* and The Phoenix like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Just pay the money for him now DD you *.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    There will be no shortage of clubs willing to snap the guy up if we don't buy him, he's a classy player.

James Mc, Rydo1888* and Taz like this.
  17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Was he really MOTM today? * me, I actually thought he wasn't too great, neither was Kyogo.

Great wee player though.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Does anyone know what the deal is with these loan to buy potions? Is a deal agreed between the clubs but also the player and all we have to do is activate the buy clause? I hope this is the case but I assume the player can veto any deal

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I always presumed the player is yours once you activate it but suppose it may depend on deal.