1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

WHEN Celtic supporters first heard that Ange Postecoglou was in line to take over as their manager, for many, it was the first time they had heard of him at all. It hasn’t taken them long however to take the Australian to their hearts.

Whether it is the attacking style he so resolutely sticks to, or his often acerbic and consistently witty comebacks to journalists, the Celtic fans just can’t get enough of Postecoglou, and the man himself is hugely appreciative of the welcome they have given him.

The Celtic fans have been great since I got here,” Postecoglou said. “Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I haven’t bumped into anyone, either at games or just out and about, who hasn’t been supportive.

“I said when I got the job that maybe there were supporters who weren’t quite sure about me but I know all of them would have wanted me to do well because if that happens then the club’s doing well and that’s all they want.

“Their passion and love for Celtic is there and we, as individuals, are transient figures that will contribute to the club being successful.

“I’m hoping that if they like me it’s because of what they see. Even though the results haven’t been as smooth and as consistent as we would have wanted, I’m hoping that the way the team is playing and the way we are going about things is the way they want their football team to be.

“Before I got here that, as much as people weren’t too aware of me, I know what Celtic Football Club is about. I know the history of it is, I know what supporters want to see in their football teams. That’s what I’m trying to do. And because I’m trying to do that, the supporters are behind that.

Postecoglou’s journey at Celtic may only be in its infancy, and his team are still finding their feet as they get to grips with his unique playing style.

There are signs that it is all starting to come together, though ahead of the game against St Johnstone at Celtic Park that marks the end of the first round of league fixtures, he was reluctant to gauge their progress.

“It’s hard for me to say,” he said. “I don’t work to those kind of time schedules and I didn’t know we would get significant injuries or that some players would come in and hit the ground running while others took a little longer. You can’t know how these things will work.

“But I kind of knew that, after the second international break, we’d be more settled and that’s where we are at the moment. Our performances have shown that we’ve made some progress but how far along are we? That’s difficult to judge but we can get better and we have to get better – it’s not a process of getting to a certain point and then jumping off.

“Anyway, if we’re a quarter of the way through then that means there are still three-quarters left, with important games to play in all four competitions. Our goal is to keep improving during that period and, hopefully, be in a good place at the end of it.”

The big Viduka likes this.
  2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We have two players whose official position is defensive midfielder. Okay, McCarthy has fitness issues, but he and Bitton do play that position naturally, as does McGregor- but his forward movement warrants him being...unshackled by playing him upfield. Meanwhile, there's no overabundance of right backs in the team.

George Theodorou and martin_d like this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Starting to look a lot better defensively..

The way we're playing is clearly off the training ground. The way we pass. Counter. Press..

Late on still pressing and by then we could've scored 3 or 4 the last 10 as St Johnstone were out on their feet and we'd suffocated them..

That was one of them game's last year we would've stuttered to a nil nil/1 each pishy draw..

Encouraging the way we're progressing..

4. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Nice scenes at the end there with ange and the fans.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Desperate for him to be a success, comes across as a really great guy.

6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Only thing we're missing is a LB and a proper CM/CDM to take the load of the defenders, we have the makings of a fantastic team.

bobs1974 and McChiellini.. like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Can't wait to see this project after another transfer window .

bobs1974 and Rydo1888* like this.
  9. James Mc

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Over the moon to have such a progressive manager in charge, let's not forget he is still fixing the mess that Lennon made.

10. Sgt Neppers*

Another good win. That last international break done us well. More training time for Ange, players getting back to full fitness, all good. The way we approach games now and control the game is brilliant. Earlier games looked very gung-ho and chaotic at times. But now it's measured, relentless and suffocating.

If we continue like this, teams will hate playing against us. So many ways we can come at you and options now appearing on the bench, we're only gonna improve. Only slight criticism is, if we could be a bit more ruthless in front of goal. Cause our build up and work to get the ball in those areas deserve more.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. jj81

Pure class that video

Big Marn and Wee Baldy like this.
  13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Beautiful video that.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The Tao of Ange. He ain't going to change. Man's got principles.

15. Foley1888

Class from Ange and Callum at the end of the game.

Another solid win and the team seem to be gelling.

I do think we need to improve offensively from set plays, as when we come up against stuffy opponents we get a lot of them and need to start picking up goals from them. It is the difference between us and them, (other than decisions by the refs) so far this season.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I often notice that we bunch up our players for corners, and nobody is at the far post, but has to run over there, by which time the ball has whizzed past. What a weird way to do corners.

George Theodorou likes this.
  17. Mr Cleansheets

Feels good to know we are definitely in the hunt this year.

18. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I've gotta whole lotta man love for the big guy

Hammy89 likes this.
  19. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Top class from big Ange. He fully understands the ethos of our club. He's one of those guys you would love to go for a beer with

20. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Lovely touch from him.

He's a likeable guy, just not sure yet, hope he pulls it off though.