1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liel Abada

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Jul 14, 2021.

Discuss Liel Abada in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Don't think anyone has an issue with his ambition.

What ppl DO take issue with is unwarranted ambition from a new player.

I'm of the thinking that generally, people should keep their mouth shut about their ambitions in a NEW position. It's disrespectful. I don't walk around my school telling the kids I want to teach somewhere else for more money. And I certainly wouldn't walk into a NEW school and tell the staff and students "better start looking for my replacement, I'm too * to be here for long, you bottom dwelling *".

We've had some great players who haven't been shy about their ambitions. Specific ambitions, that were voiced in response to questions about justifiable interest from good performances.

Gary Hooper told the world he wanted to play for Barca (dumbass).
    VVD made no apologies for one day wanting to feature for Liverpool.

But these were players who A: waited a while before announcing their intentions. And B: We're doing it for us on the park.

If Abada had been killing it and was a season or two in, then said I want to play in the EPL...well, that's just par for the course. Keep doing what your doing mate, you'll get your big move.

The fact that he both brand new, slabbering about wanting to go already... As well as playing absolutely * mince, isn't winning him many friends.

Keep your mouth shut, work on your MANY weaknesses, get the plaudits...THEN wait for interest.

THEN....

THEN, by all means. Where do your want to be son?

But for now. Shut your * mouth, get on that training pitch and learn how to cross a * ball.

connerm57, Maestro 08 and Slaw like this.
  2. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    No happening for him at the minute , hard work needed on the training ground .

Maestro 08 and Dan Breen like this.
  3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Think it’s his increased defensive work that’s taking the sharpness out of his legs and game. He’s been up and down the wing all game and not shirking his defensive responsibility.

Once he adjusts he’ll be back to his best.

Thought he was unlucky not to have a goal in the first half, made a nice run to the back post and if Jota squares the ball rather than shooting, he had a tap in. People just need to relax and let him develop.

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sorry @craigtheceltic, I usually agree with your points but this is way off.

Abadas not done any defensive at all work up until the last 2 games. That's not acceptable. He can't NOT do it. Before the last 2 games he's hardly moved into our half. He's definitely been shirking his defensive responsibility. The pace and intensity of the Scottish game might mean hie s is struggling but if that is the case he needs to step-up or play less. The defence have been getting it hard this season in terms of criticism. Carrying someone isn't on no matter what.

He's young and has lots to learn, and I really like him, but not doing the basics is not acceptable in a competitive league.

JC Anton and LectersLuncheon like this.
  5. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I agree, until the last two games he’s not doing his defensive work. I actually think he was making a conscience decision before the last two games(possibly the last 4 games), and because defensive work doesn’t come naturally to him, it’s been a physical and mental increase for him.

Don’t take my comments as excusing his earlier lack of defensive work. What I’m saying, as he adjusts his work rate upwards, I expect his game to dip temporarily. I see that as a player going through development and when the defensive work becomes natural, his all round game will improve. If the player listens to the manager and follows instruction, the manager will live with a temporary dip in form, for the greater good of the team.

I’m also saying fans need to be patient while this temporary dip in form is happening as the result will be a fantastic Celtic player.

NomDePlum and LectersLuncheon like this.
  6. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Agree with @craigtheceltic .

It does LOOK like he's trying to be more defensively inclined.

But my biggest issue with him is his end product. Crossing a ball should be at least 30% of his M.O. It appears he can't do it.

Some of his positioning and awareness, especially closer to our half is suspect as * imo.

There's no other way to look at it.

He's raw as *. Just hope he's not another Forrest. Took that idiot nearly a decade to look up and find a pass. He spent the first 4 years and change running with his * head down, clattering into a defence and then sitting on the grass looking like a * child who dropped all his sweets.

Abada needs to get to work now.

7. stew37

Effort is unquestionable and ability is there, but sure Ange must see need for him to improve his final ball, so it must surely be an area he'll be working on. Lose count of the number of crosses that end up in the stands during the course of a game.

8. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I'm not surprised by him wanting to move to the EPL, but I am surprised that he's openly blurting it out to the media within 3 months of joining. Wind yer neck in and have some common sense.

If I were to join any company, but had plans to use it to move on to a bigger company, I wouldnt sit on my lunch break telling my colleagues and my boss "Im only here for maybe a year, gonna use this place to bump up my carear and then start firing out CV's next summer".

Kyogo did something similar recently. Clearly, we know the business model is buy, develop, sell. But its producing a very bad culture at the club.

9. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I dont see the problem with players aiming to get a move to the EPL. Matter of fact, i think it could be very good.

While the EPL slowly becomes the NHL of football, players want to play there, which is understandable. We can attract immense talents that want to showcase their skills just like Benfica/Porto does (players that want to play in La Liga)

craigtheceltic and Peej like this.
  10. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    His end product has definitely dipped but I don’t think he’s as bad as some make out. Has 6 goals and 4 assists from 17 games where our finishing hasn’t exactly been clinical. He provided a couple of great crosses on debut that were missed by Christie. That cross to Kyogo v AZ and the one for the Ajeti header were pinpoint.

As I said, when Jota was played in by Turnbull on Tuesday, if Jota squares the ball rather than hitting the shot, Abada had lost his defender and was waiting for a tap in. His positioning going forward is ok, but his end product will likely take a dip while he’s concentrating on not letting the team down defensively.

It’s going to be growing pains for a bit, but he’s 20 and has loads of potential. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that since he’s upped the defensive side of his game we are a lot tighter at the back.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

6 goals 4 assists from 17..

Is an excellent return, we've asked him to play and perform far too much for a 20yr old..

His return has been excellent, just needs to work on aspects of his game..

He's been excellent

12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Can’t argue with statistics, decent returns. But over the last 4 or 5, he has been poor. His crossing is criminal right now, he could do with being dropped to the bench Saturday

13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A rest does well for the sharpness of the mind, not just the body. Jota can go over onto the right.

Dan Breen and JC Anton like this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He will definitely benefit from Johnston and Forrest providing competition and helping him..

All wingers struggle with consistency at least now we have options when their performance drops a little, Jota will be the same.

Jota, Forrest, Johnston, Kyogo, Abada, Montgomery and hopefully Dembele too at some point makes this area of the squad competitive.

martin_d and Liam Scales like this.
  15. Foley1888

He looks like he is getting frustrated with himself and trying a bit too hard at the moment, almost trying to force things.

He should sit out on Saturday perhaps come on against tired legs to get his confidence back up.

Turnbull has been playing a bit like that at times too.

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, especially now that we have options.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Really needs to improve his delivery into the box. Overall it's been pretty poor so far. Forrest coming back will be a big improvement.

18. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I think Forrest coming back will help improve Abada, he should look to him and learn from him, especially as you say his delivery but also the defensive side as well

martin_d and Callum McGregor like this.
  19. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Think the boy needs the rest today. Started every game I think.

martin_d likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The right call..

Lot of people were starting to slate him. Has went off the boil aye, but it's been unfair..

He's contributed plenty already..

martin_d and Brian Dunphy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.