1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sentinel

His lack of mobility is really a thing of inexplicable wonder. There was a bit where he got outpaced at about 3 different points of the same challenge for the ball against the same man. I could barely work out what was happening. Like the David Blaine of physical comedy. 4 year contract was it? :55:

2. oh bhoy

Had a wee jog back for the 4th goal showed all his determination and athleticism.get him to *

3. Lewis Kerr

He chose us as a retirement ground.

A Desmond signing, clear as day. He's no better than a finished Scott Brown in the last few years. Slow, can't dribble, can't tackle, not a goal threat, only passes backwards and sideways like a crab

Was worried when he came in and so far all my concerns have been proven.

Fear Dearg likes this.
  4. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    desmond's a * idiot, whya re we wasting money on him instead of players in their prime ready to go. we are not a place for has beens to come and see out their playing days. gtf with that *.

5. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    A quick glance at wiki shows how many games he has played for each club

376 games,as of tonight,for a player that is in the 16th year of his career is shocking

A four year contract,worth so much to him that he won't be agreeing to a switch to Dundee or Hamilton ,will see us get 80 games at most,though I fully expect him to be a squad player for at least the last two years of it

6. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I said it reeked of lazy scouting when he signed, and he's actually been far worse than I expected.

Waste of wages

Dan Breen and Morcombe like this.
  7. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Looked like he was running in treacle, didn’t really offer much

8. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Gona be a long 4 years!

Mince.Charming and Dan Breen like this.
  9. MAP

Agree.

Slowest man on the planet when it comes to movement and kicking the ball. It just really seems to slow down the pace of play when he gets involved.

I find his inclination to go to ground as he kicks a ball frustrating too; takes him out of play for a handful of seconds as he gets back to his feet.

I might actually prefer Bitton to him (when he plays deep and defensive).

Dan Breen and Damnati like this.
  10. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    So average it's not true, even that might be too much praise, his weird voice was a red flag in itself

Limited passing range, preferring to go sideways & backwards 99/100, no energy, no pace, doesn't cover a lot of ground, not a goal threat from open play or set pieces, can't tackle, no skill, dear oh dear.

King of Kings likes this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Scott brown would be better in this system. I bet he would still be pressing like mad. We need 2 more midfielders who have pace and power to adopt this press. Instead we have 3 slow chain smokers who ate all the pies.

12. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    I thought he would've been one of the best players in the league, but why is he so slow he looks like he doesn't know how to run he actually gets slower

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Struggling for good viable options in the midfield and not one single person asking for McCarthy as an option...

He really needs to work hard this international break as he looks so far off the pace it's not true.

mayo likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Random bump but I want to see him get a chance. I really want him to succeed here.

Definitely wouldn't write him off yet. Hate to use them as an example but most of their fanbase had written off John Lundstram and now two games later he's their best player and 1st name on the teamsheet. Now I am not saying that Mccarthy will have as big and as quick a turnaround but we are far too quick to jump to conclusions as football fans at times particularly regarding players who are clearly not fit still. I've not been impressed so far, how could I be, but still.

Not arsed about the length of his contract either, makes no difference to me. Do I think that a 2-year deal would have been more sensible? 100%, but he's here now.

I don't believe that McCarthy has become a horrid footballer all of a sudden. He's still only 30, lets wait and see if there's a role for him.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye he's clearly taking longer than we'd hoped to get up to speed..

I'm glad he is being left out again until he's at the required level..

We only saw a few minute's of Giakoumakis on Saturday and he looked a lot different to his game before. I'll judge McCarthy when he's really at it..

Still think he'll be a big plus for us. He isn't * at all..

packybhoy, Hammy89 and Mr Shelby like this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You need to be mobile in the system we play, he doesn't seem to fit the bill at all..

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I honestly can't judge him too much yet mobility wise as I still think he's nowhere near he needs to be. Tires quickly as well..

He's probably quicker than Turnbull, Rogic and Bitton..

He may turn out to be a flop but I've still got hopes for him..

Loads of quality and played at a high level in the EPL for most of his career..

Has he started a league game that McGregor has? Think McGregor would take a lot of the burden off him as he has the ability and pace that is instrumental to the way we play..

JC Anton likes this.
  18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hes never going to be as mobile as he once was but in the same instance we badly need someone capable of sitting and breaking up play, particularly in bigger games.

I had and still hope he could give us that. He's not going to score or assist into double figures I think we all recognise that.

Hammy89 and McChiellini.. like this.
  19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    We knew he was lacking game time when we signed him. The minutes he has put in he has looked rusty or missing at times but he will come good. The lad is a good player and just needs to get himself in good shape and it will click. He is at his bhoyhood idols, has been here a few months and needs game time with his new teammates. We can’t just turn round and call him pish and look to chase him out. This team is being rebuilt and some of our fans want a quick fix. It takes time ffs.

Hammy89 and McChiellini.. like this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    If Ange is gonna tweak it again with only one of Turnbull or Rogic as the 10 type and the other two behind, then McCarthy would be a lot better once he's up to speed and sitting beside McGregor..

Might have to jog my memory but he's played sitting behind Rogic and Turnbull exposed a bit on his own. Trying to think of whatever trios he's been started in..

packybhoy likes this.