1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Books you've read or are reading

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Kayal, May 28, 2011.

Discuss Books you've read or are reading in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Phoenix Rise

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Irvine Welsh's Skagboys. It is a prequel to Trainspotting. So if you have not read Trainspotting try and read this first as it really sets the stage for all the characters very well. Not quite as crazy as Trainspotting or its sequel * but very enjoyable all the same.

[​IMG]

neilly1987 likes this.
  4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Susan Wright's Slaves Unchained the third and final book in her sci fi action adventure series and it was like the previous 2 a fun and enjoyable read.

[​IMG]

5. Moustache

I read The Picture of Dorian Gray over the weekend.

It had been on my ‘to read’ list for a while, and was originally on the list of books for a sort-of reading challenge I did last year, but it ended up getting pushed out.

On the whole, it’s a decent read, and I can certainly see why it’s considered by many to be a classic. This is the first time I’ve read anything by Oscar Wilde and he certainly lives up to his reputation for having a talent for clever and witty dialogue. It’s genuinely quite funny in places, but more than that, it elevates what otherwise could have just been a fun piece of Victorian Gothic horror, into a piece of literature that’s stood the test of time.

My only real major criticism is that it maybe could’ve benefited from being a bit longer. There’s definitely a couple of moments and plot points that get addressed quite quickly despite feeling like they hadn’t really been as developed as they could’ve, and maybe should’ve, been.

It’s not particularly long either. So if you’re ever in the mood for some late-Victoria era literature, it’s a worth a shot.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    eire4, bagforlife and tarboltontim like this.
  6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    An absolute classic Is The Picture of Dorian Gray. Have read it myself multiple times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually my only criticism was not so much the length of the book. It is quite short as you say less then 200 pages. But for me my criticism was such a pity Oscar Wilde did not write more novels this being of course his only one.

bagforlife likes this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Harlen Coben's Win an enjoyable action crime novel. This one is focused on Win one of the support characters from his earlier action crime novels.

[​IMG]

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Dawn by Octavia Butler. The first book in a sci fi trilogy. An interesting read set in a post nuclear war earth where an alien civilization has come and rescued the few human survivors but they want something in return.

[​IMG]

9. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Ken Bruen's The Dramatist. Another masterpiece of a crime drama set in Galway that really just has it all. Cannot praise it too highly.

[​IMG]

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Reading the Witcher books loved the game and series loved the soundtrack to the game especially skellige
    Am an in closet romantic so intrigued by the Gerald yennefer storyline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Octavia Butler's Adulthood Rites book 2 in this sci fi series. The book starting a few years after the end of book 1 and again it is a really interesting and compelling read.

[​IMG]

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Lars Brownworth's The Normans an interesting and concise account of how the Vikings who settled and created the Dutchy of Normandy in Northern France emerged to become such important players in the wider history of Europe.

[​IMG]

littlekennie likes this.
  14. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Finished this the other day and it might be my favourite autobiography of all time. Dave's such an amazing Storyteller and most pages made you smile at least. Seems to have been the master of being in the right place at the right time as well. I just highly recommend this, such an easy reader. In fact he even narrates the audiobook as well which will be even better so I'll end up picking that up too. Easy 5* no question.

[​IMG]

15. Heb Celt

Bobby Gillespie with an autobiography out,will be a great read that.

16. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

He pops us a few times in the Dave Grohl book

Heb Celt likes this.
  17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Octavia Butler's Imago the third and final instalment in her sci fi trilogy set in a post nuclear war earth after an alien race has arrived and saved what was left of humanity but want something in return. The whole series had a really interesting premise although I felt this third book was not as good as the first 2.

[​IMG]

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Anyone in here read Dune?

Thinking of reading it before the film.

19. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I haven't but for what its worth its the biggest selling sci-fi novel of all time, so it can't be rubbish.

Something about the 'Game of Thrones in space' puts me off though. I was going to hold off until after the movie, its a beast of a book to commit to beforehand.

eire4 likes this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I have read Dune. In fact I have read all 6 books in the series. The first one Dune is the best one and I really enjoyed it. Not sure how much you read but it's a big book about 800 pages in the paperback version I have so you will need to leave some time to get it read if you want to finish it before the film.