1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I said he obviously isn't a *..

Overrated. Hype job. Splitting hair's there but he's been matched well, I'll give him and his team credit there..

Aye the tier below the top 3 or 4 just aren't very good. Even Wilder himself is a terrible boxer..

I don't see people giving Fury credit for Usyk beating Joshua. Just an observation that Fury would've demolished Joshua last night.....and i fully agree..

Free the Adblock likes this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Your hand in this debate is that weak it is frightening. He’s a * joker and the day after he’s been boxed about a ring for 12 rounds in his own back yard by a cruiserweight isn’t the day to be standing up for him.

Slaw likes this.
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You’re overestimating yourself here by considering this any form of ‘debate’. It simply you ranting and raving saying ‘Joshua is a *’ on the basis of you not liking him.

As I’ve said already, I Joshua is * then so are the vast majority of fighters out there. He goes into every fight as a favourite with the exception of 2/3 fighters in world.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You have no idea of my opinion on AJ. Which shows.

He’s a fraud and a *, at the elite level. And history will prove that.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You’re literally telling me your opinion on AJ :giggle1: FFS man.

I see you’ve now added the ‘at the elite level’ caveat. Nicely done.

The reality is, you know that by labelling Joshua a *, you’re attaching that label to 99% of fighters, hence you now trying to add in said caveat.

Childish, but expected.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Don’t lower yourself to @Al Bootyerbaws level tactics - I know you’re better than that. He’s a retarded jakey, you’ve got a brain.

I like Joshua, you can search this thread if you can be arsed. What he isn’t though is Tyson Fury - an elite of the elite heavyweight.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    If your point is simply that Joshua isn’t Fury, you’ll find very few who disagree with you. I’ve felt Fury has had his number for years, and the past 2/3 fights for each of them have only cemented that in my mind. While Joshua is a live dog with anyone, I think Fury stops him.

What Joshua isn’t though, is a *. I mean, the term is subjective, but if he is, then it’s a label that would fall on every fighter with the exception of the very elite of the elite.

8. Al Bootyerbaws

"Khabib does not like being punched in the face, can't believe nobody has figured this out yet." Who said that RuPaul?

9. Quickness

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Looks like we have another major fight coming up at the weekend fight fans. Who you got winning and how? From what I've heard Fury had a good training camp. There's nothing like a fight party so invite some friends round - watch out for the food getting eaten in 60 seconds especially those Jaffa cakes. We got some greedy pigs round my way.

Saturday 9, October 2021

T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

TV Sat - BT Sport Box Office PPV

Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 3

Robert Helenius vs Adam Kownacki
    Efe Ajagba vs Frank Sanchez
    Edgar Berlanga vs Marcelo Esteban Coceres
    Jared Anderson vs Vladimir Tereshkin

10. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Just watched the press event for Fury v Wilder 3 - the fact they didn't have a face off was weird and i think Arum also said it had been agreed before hand that there wouldn't be a face off . Clearly one side didn't fancy it and I doubt it would be Fury, he clearly wanted a face off. So... if Wilder's team demanded no face off as a condition shows yet more insecurity from Wilder.

Looking forward to this one as a neutral.

11. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I'll bite. What makes Tyson Fury an elite level fighter?

You can rip the * our of Furys record relative to his opponents rankings as similarly as you can with Wilder. With the exception of Wlad there's nothing splitting them. Wilder sure as * isn't a 'scalp'.

The HW division is weak, but each of these guys in the top 5 are well capable of beating each other.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Elite = the best of the group. The definition of what he is right now.

The heavyweight division isn’t weak at all, that’s a statement that’s been made at every point of boxing because people always believe/think those that have went past are better.

Tyson Fury (at his best) gives every single heavyweight boxer in history an extremely solid puzzle to work out. 6 foot 9, awkward and heavy, supreme movement and hand speed and the heart of a thoroughbred warrior.

13. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Elite isn't exclusive to one person and again Fury has no proven track record to back that up even then. Again, look at the rankings of his opponents at the time he fought them - its not pretty reading.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The literal definition of elite is the best of the group, he is the the current best heavyweight on the planet. And by some distance into the bargain.

You’re going down a rabbit hole with the last comment, disregarding the fact he fought and beat Klitschko and Wilder at their best, in comparison with these stronger eras you’re suggesting - this has a crop with far less stacked in the L column. Wilder has only been beaten by Fury, Fury hasn’t been beaten at all, AJ has been beat twice (once by the now undefeated heavyweight champion) and that person, Usyk, hasn’t been beat either.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Fury’s definitely elite. As are Joshua, Wilder, Usyk and possibly a number of other depending on your definition of the word. It’s nigh impossible to argue against Fury though, given he’s the number 1 in the world.

I actually think the current standard of the heavyweight division is pretty good. People compare it to the 70’s or the 90’s but they’re fairly unusual periods. You’ve got 3/4 heavyweights just now who give each other good competition and then 3/4 others who are capable of an upset or progressing towards that level. There aren’t many divisions in combat sports with that depth, and it’s very rare at heavyweight especially.

16. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I haven't disregarded the fight against Wlad. I said In my comment previous that Wlad is the only difference when comparing the CV's between Fury and Wilder. Other than Wlad, Furys record has massive question marks all over it for me. Wilder has fought nobody as well, he's been the most protected champion in my lifetime with his only victory of note being Ortiz. Most of Wilders opponents don't even rank in the top 100 and Furys not far off that himself.

AJ is in a bit of bother but to his credit, he's the only guy taking frequent risks which I think has to be commended.

17. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah that was my point I think. Not that Fury isn't elite but that he's not the only one but yeah, Fury is number 1, but by an absolute bawhair for the reasons mentioned in my above post.

King of Kings likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

AJ is the only guy taking frequent risks in what respect? Fury is literally about to fight the most dangerous puncher, arguably in history, in his own back yard for the 3rd time. He went to Germany and beat the super champion when no one else would.

AJ is taking no risks whatsoever in comparison.

19. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

In respect of fighting top 10 ranked opposition. I feel we need to take Wald off the table here because that fights never been in question as being a massive result. HOWEVER, it was a horrible fight. Fury constantly clinching, it was a win but it was ugly.
    Again, you're giving Wilder way too much credit. He's been knocking out guys who have bene outside the top 100. It's like putting Celtic up against Elgin City every weekend and having us put 6/7 past them.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Are you genuinely trying to argue that AJ has fought better opposition than Fury at this juncture because I honestly believe that is laughable mate.