1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Valhalla, Oct 8, 2019.

Discuss PlayStation 5 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The wolverine game has my interest but it really has to be 18/mega violent.
    Only saw a little of the show but wasn't blown away. Remakes that don't need remade.
    I have had KOTOR in my backlog for ages too so I am glad I can now get that played but in a (hopefully)better form.

Jamesy Bhoy 7 likes this.
  2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Shocked at how good that Astros Playroom is.

Fontaine likes this.
  3. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Aye it's excellent, Nintendo level platforming polish. Even without the duelsense feature showcase (which is very good) the game is just so well done and good to play. Touches of nostalgia sprinkled through it too with the old consoles.

MacEwan likes this.
  4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I deleted that pish.

Artorias likes this.
  5. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    :56: it's brilliant.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

How dare you delete that cute wee guy.

7. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Aye Astros playroom was unreal :56: ended up getting the platinum trophy :52:

Artorias and MacEwan like this.
  8. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Anyone know the retail price for a ps5, cheers..

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    £449 or £359 for the download only version

Jack Torrance likes this.
  10. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Go for the digital version. I've got a disc version but thats because I pre ordered games beforehand not knowing it would be so hard to get a ps5 when it released but now I've got one I find myself just downloading everything. Should also add there is noise when its playing games, not a fan noise like the ps4 but a buzzing sound and I dont know if its because it's a disk version, I've got an xbox series S which is digital and completely silent.

11. Sin

I've got the disk version and a digital version, the only time you have any extra sound coming from the disk version is when you put a disk in and it starts to read it, after that it makes the same sound as the digital version, although I never actually play games from disk on it, just downloads like you.

I got the digital for the young lad and I got the disk version for in the main room as we use it from time to time for Blu-Rays.

The young lads PS5 sounds the exact same as mine when we play games together and to be honest, the noise is very low, I can't say I notice any noise at all, like I said, just when we put a disk in and the console's disk drive starts up, I think that's the same as any console though.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  12. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Is anyone interested in buying a Playstation 5 disk version? It comes with two games Resident Evil The Village and Fifa 22 and one controller. I bought it last month for £600, open to offers.

13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Strongly disagree with this. Mental to willingly go digital. You lose the opportunity to buy pre owned games, borrow games. Even if you buy a game day one you can play through it and sell it getting the lions share of the outlay back. The convenience of no discs is nice but you are paying for it.
    I gave my pals son Miles morales the other week there and he doesn't have a disc drive. He's having to play it on his dads machine.

14. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If you are desperate for your cash back I think CEX will give you more than RRP for it.

World Champion likes this.
  15. Sin

I think it will vary from house to house what is best.
    The way we have it set up here it is better we buy downloads.

I have PS+ in my name, I have my sons PS5 set up as my main PS5, I have my daughters PS4 set up as my main PS4, any free game from PS+ my son and daughter can both play, I can also play it on the family PS5 in the living room, any game I buy digitally then all 3 of us can play it as I can login to any PS5, so the PS5 in the living room and play my games, the kids can play any game on what I have made my main console.

I bought Borderlands 3 once but all 3 of us could play it together, no need to buy 3 disks.

I also very rarely buy a game at release, my son also not as he is pretty careful with his money.
    We know games go on sale pretty quickly these days so are happy to wait, so no need for us to go looking for second hand games, even when we did buy disks my kids would never let me sell one.
    I bought the kids Bomberman and Arms on the Switch, both of them didn't really like them so I said I could sell them and get some money back, the answer was a big no! They said maybe they would play them in the future..... Over a year later they're still in the drawer and never getting used..... :31:

Artorias likes this.
  16. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    That is a good point if you are doing the game share thing. It still makes more sense to just have the disc version and you have all that you do and the ability to borrow, buy pre owned and sell if done with it (if your kids will let you! Hehe).

17. Sin

I do get your point, maybe the kids that are still at school or so still swap games, I take it they do, the kids around here don't seem to do that I must say.
    Quite a few of my young lads mates have either a PS4 or a Switch and I've never seen any of them borrow a game or my kid come home with a game he borrowed, still I'm sure some kids still do it.
    In that case yes it would be worth the extra €100, in my case it would just be a waste of money, we have the disk version but that is just for so we didn't need to buy a separate Blu-Ray player.
    My son has had his PS5 since Christmas last year and not having a disk drive hasn't been an issue.
    Again though, we haven't bought disks since long before the PS5 came out, only on the Switch have we bought physical copies.

We are going to pick up a third PS5 when they are readily available, so maybe in 2033!!
    That is so my daughter has her own, again though we would go down the digital version as it would again be waste of €100

Artorias likes this.
  18. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I don't actually know if kids still do that haha but at least the option would be there, I used to do it as a boy but we had * all and only way to play new games was to borrow a pals or the occasional rental. All digital is the future but it is a future I am resisting.

Couple of weeks ago I got COD modern warfare (2019) to play through the campaign. I got it from GAME (a shop I rarely buy from) for 14.99. I played it over a couple of nights and sold it on Facebook marketplace for 15 quid undercutting the next best few that were on sale and sold it that day. Got to play the campaign for free. If you did that with a few games over the life of your console the extra 100 for the disc drive would pay for itself.

I don't buy many games day one but even if you buy a brand new triple A game you are getting most of it back if you sell it on a few months later.

Sin likes this.
  19. JamesM09

I think if you can get a loan of just 1 or 2 games then it justifies having the disk drive.

The Spider-Man game is a good example of one that you could just borrow off of nephews or whatever and save yourself a few bucks.

Sin likes this.
  20. Sin

Yeah I agree, if it suits you and you get benefit from it then for sure get the disk version, like I said earlier, I think it will vary from household to household.

We have one of each, if we buy another it would be the digital version, then having 2 digital versions instead of 2 disk versions has saved us €200, it really has saved us €200 then as my kids hardly know what disks are anymore.

Like Artorias said, it is the future and it will come.
    I actually don't mind it now.
    I learned my lesson with Diablo 3 though, I bought it on PC when it first came out, I then changed to console gaming, I decided to buy the disk version again, then my son saw me playing it and he wanted it, so I bought it again ..... Then my daughter felt left out and wanted to play it........

Yeah digital for me and my family from now on, * this buying a game 3 or 4 times! :84:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Artorias and JamesM09 like this.