1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

He will probably work more with the defence than anyone else given his playing career. 2015 was the last time we played them. We couldn’t defend a set piece then, and we still can’t now. 4 different managers, 1 coach has remained constant though.

Smithy and martin_d like this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    A proper rebuild would've been a new manager coming in with his own backroom staff, i think this was really important in terms of a fesh start and a new beginning.

As it is we have a manager who nobody had even heard of, he's here on his own, having to work alongside JK and laptop, our new CEO was gone before Strictly started, all a bit of a mess tbh.

Nothng personal against JK but it's never healthy to accomodate someone and especially for the wrong reasons, not good for the club, a very unprofessional way to run things.

3. murphy88

It’s a shambles mate. That’s the long and short of it. We are run like a pub team.

4. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I wonder what the photos and the video is like ???????

5. JamesM09

They gave him his only job and have kept him in the job through 4 managers and 2 CEOs.

Very close.

Believe it or not assistant managers usually come and go with the manager.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  6. JamesM09

Common sense this.

The way people bend over backwards to normalise John Kennedy’s position is baffling.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Why’s that? Damien Duff was confirmed as working the most with them in the 9 in a row season, considering his career why would that be?

Probably the most successful coach in our history that the players seem to love. Fans just go out of their way to try and mentally tally up a poor opinion of him.

I’ll just go off of what the guys that have worked with him think rather than us on the sidelines that have no idea what happens on a day to day basis at Lennoxtown.

8. celtic warrior

I'd be seriously questioning why anyone with such a respected reputation as a coach is still an assistant after all this time.

What has he left to learn if he stays here and goes nowhere? Football is not like a normal job you can stay in for years or even decades for one spot, it requires risk, ambition, to go out of your comfort zone, see new things, learn new ideas.

He offers nothing and any new manager be it Ange or otherwise really needs his own hand picked team to work with

9. john2061

One of the great mysteries in football who is Celtic defensive coach or have we even got one and if we don't that can go along with no CEO and no head of recruitment and it's a * shambles of a way to run this club and * this board .

10. murphy88

Well given the fact he has taken responsibility in the past for the defence, I would say that is reason enough to believe he works extensively with them. I haven’t seen anything about Duff working with our defence. Was it with full backs or centre backs or both?

Aye, guys have said good things about him. Folk have said Lennon was a good manager as well. Folk have said Peter Lawwell was a brilliant CEO. I don’t particularly think either of these are correct. But people in a better position than me and you have said it, so it must be true then eh?

Peter Lawwell is also the most successful CEO based on trophy haul. However, when you take into account that for a lot of that time, we only had to be better than Aberdeen, Motherwell etc, it is a nonsense. He also turned us into European whipping boys. Something Kennedy has been a part of as well. He was also a major factor in the biggest collapse arguably in our history.

AdamRS likes this.
  11. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

*, came in hoping he had gotten a job elsewhere.

Disappointing.

12. G40B

We do have an idea of what happens, as we’re able to watch Celtic games.

Under Deila, Lennon and now Postecoglou we played turgid football with unfit players. Kennedy is the constant in that.

I’m not saying he’s solely at fault, but I think he’s a substandard coach. I also don’t think it helps that he knows he’s bulletproof - I doubt he’s sitting on the bench panicking that he’ll be walking out with Ange.

murphy88 and LectersLuncheon like this.
  13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I forgot that I made this thread in a drunken mist of rage and confusion... :rolleyes:

Added a poll, I'm interested in what the general consensus is.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He’s highly thought of by the players from what we’ve heard and Ajer went out of his way to credit the role he played in our overwhelming domestic success in recent years. I’d rather he left when Lennon left if I’m honest, but his colleagues rating him is usually a good sign.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Probably is a good coach to come as far he has at the club tbf.

But some folks have pointed this out already on the Ange thread - I think it would have benefitted us more with Ange to hand pick his guys to help him. We don't necessarily need to chase Kennedy out of the club, but fresh perspectives on the training ground and general running of the club on the playing side might help.

If the core staffing and roles are just going to stay the same regardless of manager then it's probably going to be difficult to faciliate real change. Alex Ferguson wasn't short of quality staff but he had absolutely no problem tweaking roles or bringing in new coaches when things got stale or required modernisation.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No, we have no idea what goes on at Lennoxtown. What’s his schedule like? What’s his main focuses? What is he to work on with players? What’s his remit? How does he train them? How is he at interacting with them? How good is he for squad morale?

Callum McGregor and Damnati like this.
  17. celtic warrior

I mean we had a brief window to see if he's a good coach when he was at the helm and we saw no reaction from the players, despite everyone signing his praises.

I know it's easy to say and easy to take apart, especially given the obvious new signings to the squad but the players reacted better to Ange them they did Kennedy.

I mean, for a period Ange done the impossible, that no other manager or coach has done previously and made Ralston look a baller.

18. G40B

What goes on at Lennoxtown directly correlates to what happens on the pitch.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You haven’t been able to answer a single one of them though

Damnati likes this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's a strange one. Some players have highly praised him but he's been a constant here for years during which we've seen the same old problems in defence (and elsewhere). I guess it's just impossible to really know what he does day to day and if it's good enough.

He's been here under two failed regimes, one incredibly successful and this one now which is still taking shape. But within that you would have to give him some leeway for the failed regimes - working under Deila who was out of his depth and had a bit of a toxic dressing room, and Lennon who was just the most unprofessional guy going. And Rodgers has done a fantastic job (mostly) at Leicester and had a good career before coming to us so you would have to give him, Davies etc most of the credit for that.

Ideally Ange would have brought his own guys in. Just not a fan of people sticking around for years on end under various managers with different philosophies and approaches.