1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

Completely understand this position - it doesn't look great right now.

My own position is slightly different - I've been here a long time as a genuine fan but Ange signing on was just brilliant for me as an Australian Celt. I'm someone who desperately wants success for the club first but if that's because of Ange - so much the sweeter.

If he genuinely can't do it (as opposed to being undermined by the board) then I'd be the first to hound him out. (No matter how much that would hurt.)

martin_d and James like this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ange has to do his bit too, we heard how strong minded he is with boards etc, now he is in the door he needs to be that person, he's supposed to be.. And that surely starts with getting a Head of Recruitment who can find players who suit his vision.

No point in the likes of Starfelt and McCarthy thrust upon you when they look unable to adapt to what you're trying to do..

We're a shambles off the park, so we need a manager who can be successful in spite of that, hopefully Ange can be that man.

We the fans really need to do our bit by forcing change at our club, been saying for years even when we were being successful..

3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Hungry players give you 100% and want to make a difference - its also a matter of self respect and earning your money on a public forum. Some players have no scruples and will take the money assured in their contract and not give the manager their best or in fact any type of quality. You can make of that what you will.

I would give the younger players a run, no matter what the game. Blood them, give them 15-20-30 minutes each at a time and trust them. If other clubs can do it we can also. Give these players a profile also. We see Starfelt, Montgomery, McCarthy, Welsh gradually adjusting and improving their game where as there are others that have had more than enough time to come good. They have been in the squad for some time now and on good contracts also, which they probably would not get else where, given their form at present. These are players that Ange should be able to fill the gaps with when required and be in rotatation, but he does not see them as good enough.

If they are not good enough for rotatation then they need to go because they are detrimental to the performance of the squad and to winning points.

I would like to see Murray, Shaw, Henderson, Urhoghide given a run. I would like to see Scales and Boli more - they looked capable to me . They need an experienced player on the pitch to guide them and talk to them during the game and surely their game and confidence will improve. That is 6 players.

I would like Celtic to also get two/three midfielders from Portugal or Spain in the next transfer window. Players who play the ball on the deck, intelligent, and can open up defenses and shoot from outside the box. Two players from Japan as well. That's another 5 players.

Then we will have a rotating squad to be reckoned with and less injuries during the season.

4. Kiro Kompiro

Are you telling me all of the 9 are the ones whose names would go on the starting 11 team sheet?

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Knowing this club and the links the board has to the City Group - it is highly unlikely to be a visionary appointment.

It was cheap and easy - * last minute as well.

That doesn't take away from Ange past experience or that he could still come good - we all do enjoy the football when it is working (when it did work) and we all do think he has the right ideas on football and sounds a good lad. But none of that excuses the fact that our board * the club so badly, that we went to the City Group for a helping hand/point in the right direction.

We've done it many times before, over the years there is nothing to suggest this board is remotely "visionary".
    Although, like yourself man, if there was any remote aspect of that, it would likely have been Dom.

but again (and very much because we have been worn down by this board), it is very highly likely that Dom and the club saw a way to fabricate a story that Dom knew of Ange before now and that is the story to pretend we actually done a job for once.

King of Kings likes this.
  6. James Gold Member Gold Member

I appreciate that obviously it would be massive for any Aussie tims but we were promised the world when he signed. His football would be breath taking, He won't take * from anyone, He'll do it his way and walk away if the board get in the way but in reality what has changed ? Aye we played well at home a few times but in the grand scheme of things barring I would say 2 at most it still looks like the board are signing the players. Ange had a go at the board once and hasn't since. I'm sorry to say it but we've seen this movie before.

Peej likes this.
  7. James Gold Member Gold Member

How many of the Celtic team that played would walk in to the United team ? probably all of them

8. Kiro Kompiro

That's what a proper Director of Football does-is the intermediary between the manager and the Board. He also does scouting of players/

9. celtic warrior

Aye and how well did Ralston do exactly?

10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The only people in the first team you could 100% argue isn't first choice is Ajeti, Starfelt and maybe McCarthy, with the latter two being viewed as first choice when they were brought in.

I didn't criticise him for the Midjyttland games or the Hearts game, I was even fairly lenient on the Rangers and Betis games as I could see the football we wanted to play, but there's zero excuse for the last two games, Livingston were rock-bottom in the league when they beat us (And lost 3-0 to Hearts the following week) and Dundee United were skelped 3-1 on their home pitch shortly before they came to Celtic Park (and let's be honest, they probably should have won)

If he loses or draws against this abysmal, and I mean abysmal, Aberdeen side and we go 9 points behind the huns (*, we could potentially be 8 points behind Hearts too) then any goodwill he's built will be completely gone.

King of Kings and Peej like this.
  11. Kiro Kompiro

Well not Ajeti for one.

12. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

No point at all really, just an observation.

13. James Gold Member Gold Member

You think Dundee United would knock back a 5 million pound striker in favour of Nicky Clark ?

14. Kiro Kompiro

Not if he played like one.

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hart, Juranovic, Starfelt, CCV, Rogic, Turnbull, Jota and Abada. I would say those 8 would start 9 times out of 10. Maybe Abada rotating with Forrest.

What team have you been watching if you don't think those are all regulars for the first team? That team we fielded on Saturday was 3 players away from our strongest XI. One of those being Jullien who Ange hasn't even seen yet.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  16. Kiro Kompiro

Ange Postecoglou was without eight players, most of them attackers, and the only player he brought into the side, Josip Juranovic, limped off in the 26th minute.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/...ip/albian-ajeti-produces-miss-season-21683843

17. Kiro Kompiro

Its hard to know who exactly is first 11 given there has not been a settled back 4 let alone a settled first 11.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'll like the DoF model and think it would be a massive benefit in the longterm for continuity.. If Ange is dead against it tho I wouldn't force one on him at this stage.. Ideally he should have been appointed before the manager.. We'll see..

A DoF doesn't really scout players tho, a DoF would put a head of scouting in place, ideally..

A shared vision from DoF, recruitment and manager..

We have always suffered from a lack of vision.. And a failure to build on success properly.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

No it’s not. Hart is our first choice goalie. Juranovic has clearly been signed to be a first choice. CCV the same. Starfelt is ahead of Welsh in the pecking order.

Rogic, Turnbull and McGregor has been the starting 3 in midfield.

Abada is an ever present. Jota has come in and is by far our best left winger. Kyogo is our main striker.

The only position on the pitch that is really up for debate is left back.

That team at the weekend wasn’t even a B team, never mind C team.

AdamRS and Peej like this.
  20. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Correct me if I’m wrong but Yokohama were struggling when we took Ange off their hands.
    Someone, possibly you, recently informed me that they then appointed Kevin Muscat and have now improved.
    Is this your idea of working every time?