1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If Gordon Strachan ends up our manager again at any point I'm supporting Arbroath. I would say surely the board aren't that daft but after the Lennon debacle, nothing would surprise me with that lot of *.

2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I've just read through this thread for the first time in a couple of weeks. * *. It's not even October.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Over Lennon, aye I would rather Mowbray.

However, for the sake of being somewhat sensible, we still have Ange and the guy deserves to keep going for now.

If form continues as is though, it won't be a long time he remains. Unfortunately, as I have said before, the overall issue is the board/club, not Ange, he is not remotely supported in the way he needs to be.

JML67 likes this.
  4. Mr Cleansheets

Which is why the fans ought to be supporting the manager and shouting down the board.

Ange gets the club, gets the fans, and will bring success given any semblance of a chance. If you want to send a message to the board, support Ange no matter how much they try (eventually) to turn him into a scapegoat for their own negligence and neglect.

OziBeerMan, Peej and Boruc17 like this.
  5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I’m still behind Ange 100%. Some of the * spouted on this forum at times is beyond parody.

The guys clearly a good manager that’s been hung out to dry by the scum on the board so far. But we do need to start picking points up on the road or he won’t last long.

OziBeerMan, JML67 and Sydneysider like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's trying to do both, in a rational sense (I will happily hold my hands up at being irrational for sure at times).
    Almost everyone is behind the guy, we all know this isn't fully his fault.
    But at the same time that we can blame the board for decades of neglect and gross incompetence, we still expect the manager to be able to at least get some points on the board and put in a title challenge - we aren't doing that. The squad at his disposal, even with injuries, really should be good enough to get better results. He deserves some blame for the match performances. Albeit the greater issues are above his head.

greengrocer likes this.
  7. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I’d say the only midfielder we have that’s actually suited to his style is McGregor. Rogic has been playing like his old self at times but he’s never going to keep that up over a season playing at this intensity.

McCarthy has 100% been Desmond’s signing. Not suited to us one bit from what I’ve seen, and I was quite excited when he first signed to be honest.

8. James Gold Member Gold Member

The thing I don't understand is people shoot down the board for downsizing or not investing enough but yet still defend the appointment of the manager. He's here now so we have to back him but he is a huge part of the under investment as well

Artorias and Peej like this.
  9. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Reminds me of the Davie moyes situation at Man U. Get moyes in don’t back him then get rid and get somebody else in. It’s almost a stop gap manager to buy the board time. I’m still backing ange and against the board

10. Mr Cleansheets

As a person who's frequently had a vested interest in Ange's success - especially as an Oz NT supporter - he can be a frustrating * but his methods always work eventually. I truly get why the fans are frustrated now - Ange could definitely have taken a more pragmatic approach and accumulated more points in the league. But that's never been his mission. I've been taking Dom at his word (perhaps unwisely) and thinking that Ange believed himself to have been brought in to do a specific rebuilding job, with the requisite time to do that job.

That time is a minimum of 18 months, and now Dom - possibly Ange's only supporter with the board - is gone.

Ange has truly been isolated and what would happen if he was sacked? The club would never again attract a modern progressive manager. They would attract only cheap journeymen with less and less power as the finances dwindled.

Ange is a football genius and deserves everyone's support. The * board may well find a reason to withdraw theirs (I think this is all but certain) which is why the most politically assertive thing the fans can do is support Ange in defiance of the board.

OziBeerMan and Peej like this.
  11. Mr Cleansheets

Absolutely.

Bang on.

Boruc17, Peej and Noskeil like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah the manager is 100% part of the downsizing, and absolutely no offence, he shouldn't be here right now (as said before, in other circumstances, such as a proper footballing department, he would be better equiped/suited).
    I know the Aussies will not like us saying that bit, but it is true. If we had a board willing to back the club properly, we would not have sought Ange at this time.

*, if you go all the way back to 1999 when we chased Hiddink, til Desmond put his beak in and demanded O'Neil, if we actually pulled that one off and continued on the path we tried to go on, we could be in a whole other set of circumstances right now. Alas, Desmond got his way with O'Neil (and well done as the success was great), and from there on out, any ambition was squashed at this club. The CEO at that time eventually left and we eventually got Lawwel, the Desmond puppet. Everything since then has been all about either what Desmond wants or attempts to downsize.

MacDonald (I think?) was the CEO at the time, he figured EPL or European League was a certainty and spent money in an ambitious way that was to gear us up for that. Turned out that was a risky gamble in some respect and when it never worked out, we needed to reign the spending in - think we all accept that. But to the level we have done it, with such little ambition, it is extremely poor from the club to have gotten us to this stage now.

James likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I do agree with the majority of this bud, bar the "genius" tag, that is still to be seen for most of us.
    He's certainly modern and progressive and deserves more time at a club than what we are able to afford him. However we can't afford him 18 months of this sort of form. It quite literally is form that will see us without any European football next year, let alone gifting the huns CL money. The setback would be MASSIVE.
    It truly does feel like right guy, wrong time.

14. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    This threads * special *

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think that kind of language does his cause any favours tbh.

It’s very early days in terms of what we’ve seen from him. If I had to make an assessment I would say he’s more of a coach than a manager. He got the team playing to his style quicker than I thought possible, but hasn’t been particularly impressive (and that may be being kind to him) in terms of in-game management and an ability to adapt to changing circumstances.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Only down side, none of us have any belief the board will do the right thing any time after Ange tenure (however long or short it may be).

Honestly, best outcome is the board suddenly accepts they are detested here and all * off. Someone with football ambition at the front of their mind (with a sensible approach to finance) then comes in and Ange remains during this time.

But we aren't going to get that.

17. Mr Cleansheets

While they're making money?

Not sure if serious...

Peej likes this.
  18. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah, I was being a tad facetious.

Peej likes this.
  19. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Well that’s the problem... quite quickly becomes a vicious circle. Needs nipped in the bud ASAP

Peej likes this.
  20. Mr Cleansheets

I stand by it.

I understand that it puts a target on him but he's always been successful with far less resources than he has at Celtic. He will definiely be successful in time but his insistence on sticking to the program could bring him down if the fans lose patience.

That loss of patience would spook the board to negative action which would seriously damage the club in the long term.