1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kristoffer Ajer

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Jan 5, 2016.

Discuss Kristoffer Ajer in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He actually wins a * of a lot in the air. He just can’t direct where the * it goes for the life of him.

Slaw likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Just shows what he had in him. Wouldn't have killed him to try his * for a couple games last season.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hes one of few who actually did try last season despite the fact he was one of the main ones who wanted away.

5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Won't be long until he gets a big move imo, could honestly see City or Liverpool come in for him in a couple of years, didn't see a sell on fee mentioned when we sold him :(

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's nowhere near that level unless he makes huge leaps (literally and metaphorically) in the next few years.

7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think he will tbh, he still has ways to go but in 2/3 years I don't see why he can't make the jump, he's quick, good with the ball and a solid defender who's only going to get better, biggest issue is his heading. Imo he's not far off the likes of Matip, Gomez at Liverpool currently.

Failing that, if they sort themselves out Spurs/Arsenal would be daft not to look at him at the end of this season.

8. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    We'll be on 10% at least I'm not sure he will be moving anytime soon, for a CB he's still * in the air not the quickest either

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

9. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    We are missing him this season , missing his surging tuns from defence into attack as there is nobody doing that in the team , we are so predictable it’s easy to nullify us .

10. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Not the quickest? Lol It was said that he was amongst the quickest in our squad

11. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    By who

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Don’t talk *. Did you watch us last season?

If anyone genuinely believes Ajer wasn’t trying, they need to take up a different sport.

Liam Scales and James like this.
  13. James Gold Member Gold Member

He was our POTY for me last season don't get the hate some have for him

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It’s mostly from the Sellick da’s who are seething any time a footballer leaves the club to play at a better level.

Weirdos.

Mr Shelby and James like this.
  15. BigDoggyWoofWoof

He downed tools in the latter half of last season, clearly one of the prime candidates alongside Eddy and Christie desperate to be anywhere but at Parkhead. I wasn't aware anyone disagreed with that assessment.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    McGregor had a far worse season than Ajer, for one.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ENERGY drinks, protein shakes and bottles of cherry juice were among the dietary staples favoured by Brendan Rodgers at Celtic.

But Kristoffer Ajer reckons Scotch pies and HAGGIS were the crucial ingredients in transforming him into a £13.5 million star.

Ajer landed in Glasgow as a lanky teenage midfielder but bulked up into a Treble-winning international centre-half.

Now starring in the English Premier League with Brentford, the Norway ace credits his Scottish diet for allowing him to muscle in on the big time.

Ajer told SunSport: “Glasgow was a huge step for me.

“I went there as a very young guy to a city that’s football mad. I absolutely loved it but it was a very challenging period.

“I had never played centre-half in my whole life but I think from the first day in Celtic I was training as a centre-half.

“I came to a massive club that wants the top every single day. At the beginning, I wasn’t ready for the quality needed to play for Celtic.

I went out on loan, six months to Kilmarnock, and learned how to play centre-half. I came back and then felt more ready.

When I came to Celtic, I played as a No 10 and weighed 82.3kg on my first day at Celtic.

“When I came back a year later, I was 95kg. It was a lot of Scotch pies and haggis and training and then I was ready to play centre-half.

“I understood I had to change a lot about body type and the way I played. I was a more offensive player. To be a centre-half, especially in the UK, you really have to be very physical.”

Ajer, now 23, won three Trebles at Parkhead and became first-choice centre-half for his country.

He moved to Brentford in the summer and faces on-form Michail Antonio in a London derby tomorrow against David Moyes’ West Ham.

A clash with European champions Chelsea follows the international break — before a reunion with ex-Celts boss Rodgers.

Ajer said: “Brendan was incredible for me. He developed me so much

“He changed so much at the club and went on and won the treble Treble at Celtic.

He did spectacular work there, the way he set everything up, the way he helped young players, the way he spoke to everyone around the club with so much respect. I learned so much from him.

“John Kennedy is someone I am extremely close to. He is so good at developing young players, with the way he took care of me.

“There are difficult spells when you play football. You play bad games and, especially in a place like Glasgow, it can be quite tough.

“But he’s a guy that took care of me so well.

He spent days off helping me develop at the training ground.

He was always there when I needed him. He’s a guy I have huge respect for. He was a great coach as well. You could see the work he put in every day.

“Football can change so quickly but the quality he puts in every single day for the players shows he will be a top coach for so many years. He’s a very good man.”

Ajer was involved in a thrilling 3-3 draw with Liverpool last weekend, a first meeting with Celts predecessor Virgil van Dijk.

But the big Norwegian won’t have any comparisons with the Holland captain despite making a favourable impression in his early weeks in the English Premier League.

Ajer added: “It’s very dangerous to be compared to, for me, the best centre-half in the world.

“The career he has had is incredible. I watch him almost every weekend to see how he plays.

But I keep trying to develop myself and be the best player I possibly can be. I want to learn from the best but I know that I have a lot I need to develop.

“It’s great to see what he’s done. But I’m not surprised because, when you play for Celtic, you know it is a massive club that would do very well in England.

“When you come from a club that’s expected to win every weekend, it’s easier maybe to settle into the Premier League.

“There’s a very strong belief in the squad that we can really upset a lot of teams this season.

But we also know the quality in the Premier League can really hurt you if you are not at it. Straight after the Liverpool game, we were back at the training ground putting in great sessions. It’s a very healthy environment to be a part of.”

Meanwhile, Ajer insists he will continue to celebrate tackles and interceptions as if they were goals.

And he has revealed he’s cheering Kilmarnock towards Championship glory this season.

He said: “I’m not scared of showing how I’m feeling on the pitch. It’s a lot of adrenaline. I’m living the dream

I’ve been thinking about these moments my whole life. When I experience something I’ve dreamed about for so long, I feel like I have to celebrate it.

"It’s a natural action. When the pressure at the back ends, you almost feel like you are saving a goal.

“Why shouldn’t you celebrate that as much as a goal? It’s nice thing.

“I probably celebrate a tackle more now than the goals I scored before. I think you maybe bring some energy to your team-mates as well.

“I’m so grateful for everything that Kilmarnock did for me. I made some great friends there that are still some of my closest friends.

The way they took care of me was great. The physical side of the game helped me develop."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  18. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Defending a set pieces still awful

19. BigDoggyWoofWoof

What's the word on him, how's he not getting games?

20. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He was injured fir a couple months,only just getting back now

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.