1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic 1 - 1 Dundee United

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by McChiellini.., Sep 23, 2021.

Discuss Celtic 1 - 1 Dundee United in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    High-intensity press is about the only thing that could do it, but the lack of proper staff definitely means the players are training improperly.

2. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Of course it's too early to call for the managers head, but... It's not too early to criticise and today is a case in point. In fact the last few games have had our bubble burst and Ange needs to take a bit of the flak. Against Betis we were naive and didnt have a game plan to sit on a good 2 goal lead until at least half time. And then we're lucky not to be hammered. Against Livingston we were far too gung ho in attack instead of mixing it up and drawing them out to give us space behind to attack. Against Rovers midweek we looked really flat also.

Today? Loads of questions. Why did we persist with an ineffective McCarthy in a holding role, to then swap him out for an even more ineffective Soro. Neither of them were able to pick the ball up from defence and start attacks. Some of our passing today was amateurish and too often we overplayed the ball to get it out wide instead of a direct approach. How many shots did we have at goal?

Distinct lack of communication throughout the team and no leadership. Yes, missing McGregor and Kyogo, but lack of winners on the park and a seemingly isolated Ange off it is worrying. ( We all want to know what Kennedy and Strachan's input is right?) There was no press today either, often Utd simply player little triangles round us to get out of trouble.

Hit the bar 3 times, and some players showed up. Jota I thought was excellent for us, and Abada and Ralston were good.

But we looked shapeless in play, disorganized and toothless. Manager has a lot on his plate right now but needs to be more pragmatic. Yes, we all want a free flowing expansive side. Everyone fan at every club does. But we need to go right back to basics and build the foundation for that to happen. Starting with getting our defence organised and strong, getting players to play with a little more fire in their belly and , hopefully getting our key players back.

3. wulliebad

Or players should not be playing high press three times a week plus training and we need a much bigger or better quality of squad.

4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    At least not the same midfield and forward lineup, thrice per week.

5. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Icant comment on the game as i never saw it......then again i saw the result and Utd drew level within 2 mins ,,, this is happening to often

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Yep..

We can't hold leads against anyone who comes at us and never look like winning a game when we go behind..

Recipe for disaster..

7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    I can’t remember the last time I went into work on a Monday thank *

kramer1, Dannybhoy81 and honda like this.
  8. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Another disappointing outcome.Today and recent weeks have shown that despite the positive start and additions to the squad. We are still far down the road in terms of rebuilding on the previous years of failing in all departments.

Granted we have been missing two of our key players in McGregor and Kyogo, whilst trying to bed in a new style and players. And picking up consistent injuries.

We continue to see the reappearance of last season’s failings. In Betis we buckled under pressure, just like in Lille, in our last season’s Europa League. Livingston last Sunday we were asked to defend an individual battle and couldn’t do it. Despite winning against Ross County. Today we floundered against Dundee United in a similar manner. Consistently conceding cheap goals and not doing enough going forward or taking chances.

Domestically, we continue to struggle with organised sides. Livingston last week with a team defending the area and today with Dundee United with a team who compressed the middle third of the field but held a higher defensive line than Livingston. Both methods, in their own different ways have proved to be beyond the solution. Livingston defend the area, force us wide and deliver into the area. Dundee United, knew there was nothing in the way of a vertical threat from Ajeti. Allowing them to compress the middle area where Rogic and Turnbull work in. We got a goal from Abada coming in from the wide area and Jota was an individual threat. But again, all relatively comfortable and in the manner Dundee United wanted the game to go.

Another week in domestic football where the rhythm and pace of our play seen in previous weeks has been virtually non-existent. Down to the opposition and their set-up. We are seeing the same tactics/ gamesmanship. Andrew Shinnie went down 3 times last week; on each occasion the rest of the Livingston squad went to the side-line for a conflab with their coaches. On other occasions its more simply to break up any consistency or rhythm to our play. Elongation of getting the ball back into play from goal kicks and throw ins. That is to the opponent want and for the officiating to be savvier (wouldn’t hold my breath). However, for me, what’s more of an issue is down to the lack of quality and the unsettled nature of our team. The lack of quality has been evident in the make up of our bench today. No attacking option to influence the game. Even at Livingston last week, chasing a goal and the best we could summon was Soro and Bitton to enter the play. Same was needed today. It doesn’t help when your only other attacking option cannot even make it past a brief warm-up on the side of the pitch days previous.

There were plenty of opportunities today. Ajeti can afford to continue only having single digit passing interactions if he sticks the ball in the net. However, he passed up 2 goal scoring opportunities today from inside the 6-yard box. And they have proven costly. We did hit the bar 3 times today, so potentially luck wasn’t in. But the general play wasn’t near good enough.

I’ll start with the inverted full back option we utilise. Against teams for example Betis, who are more open about their play. Then you can utilise it. Today, we had Ralston and Montgomery doing it consistently. The main outcome was largely a numerical bogging down of the middle. And the constant flitting of the ball to the opposite centre back, to a repeat of the same issue. Add into the fact that neither Ralston or Montgomery is particularly adept at taking the ball into feet and facing limited options. I feel we need to use this aspect with a little less frequency in domestic games at least. Both Ralston and Montgomery are better facing the direction of play and offer more to building the play. With the inverted play and the clogged middle, the only forward option is the longer pass from centre half to the wide area (Abada or Jota). The pass must travel a fair distance, so it’s unlikely to interrupt the oppositions defensive set-up. Add into the mix that probably 2 of our centre half’s seem capable of executing such a pass, one of which isn’t available for selection. Against Ross County we didn’t break through until Carter Vickers decided to step forward and challenge the County players to make a decision in dealing with him. Was a similar picture at Livingston, where Vickers managed some success in playing passes for Juranovic. Starfelt on the other hand looks bereft of even average ball playing ability. And at times, an almost point-blank refusal to pass to his left side. In addition, we are now including another midfielder in order to build play. Which is to our detriment. McCarthy carried on from his Livingston outing in his 45 mins today. Not had a look at the numbers yet, but very few passes in advanced areas. He was however on the end of a poor challenge from where I was seated. Need to see more of the probing passes like the one which put Jota through against Raith on Thursday.

Rogic and Turnbull initially found spaces against Dundee United, however United eventually dropped Fuchs and one other into 2 defensive mid sorts and they snuffed out the space. Neither Rogic nor Turnbull seem intent or instruction to look at running beyond the opposition defensive line akin to Stuart Armstrong did during his spells at both clubs. Rogic does with the ball at his feet but not in off the ball movement. On a couple of occasions today, Rogic’s final pass or decision was off. One in the 2nd half remains ingrained in my mind. We had a 3 on 3 with Rogic driving towards the box, instead drawing out a United defender, he played it early. Instead of Abada being in on goal with a clear shot, he was played in still with an opponent to beat. Just one of a fair few things he never got right on the day. Although he wasn’t alone.

Jota is an individual threat at present. And for me, has been the only who looks capable of threatening the domestic set-ups we face. He has ability to win 1 v1 and can deliver a quality final ball.

We don’t have enough in terms of quality and depth to our squad. We have badly missed McGregor and Kyogo. We haven’t replaced the quality which left, while trying to dig out of the * crater that has been our player recruitment and squad mismanagement. No way should we be starting with players the level of Ralston (boy played through the last 20mins today struggling with a knock because of the issues), Taylor and so on in domestic football, let alone trying to forge a challenge on the European stage. And that lies at the door of those current or previously in the higher positions of the club. We don’t know or didn’t find out whether Dom MacKay would be able in the position. But we have plenty of proof over the last few seasons that the decision makers have any knowledge of running a proper “modern and progressive football club” they profess we are.

Does Ange deserve criticism? I don’t think he can go without. I believe he needs to make some adjustments. But he’s been badly hampered by the ineptitude of others. He stated from Day One how he wanted to go about things. And I agree it’s the right style to play.

We head into Thursday night against an outfit on form and with better quality than Livingston or Dundee United. Before travelling to Aberdeen on Sunday. We are already way behind and could be chasing from even further away, come this time next week.

9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    The majority of thise teams are not playing anywhere near as many games, nor having their players away on international duty on top, nor are they playing with the intensity that Ange is trying to get the team to play at every single game while trying to increase the fitness levels from what they were at last season.

10. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Just came on to say that that performance today was up there with the * we had to endure last season. It even surpassed some of the * we seen in the 90s. Ajeti was pish - no more excuses for him. Soro was like a headless chicken, Abada wastes too many chances, Turnbull is a pale shadow of the player he was last season and Starfelt was as bad as Duffy. We are playing like a mid table team and, if we continue to play as we have done recently, then we will end up finishing the season in mid table. Not fecking good enough and the players need to have a right hard look at themselves

11. dmac

Too many players wanting to let someone else take responsibility instead of doing it themselves, players standing waiting instead of moving to create a bit of space for others to play in ball played out wide to be crossed in to the middle for a forward who can't jump and is static most of the game. Disappointing barely scratches the surface on today's performance

George Theodorou likes this.
  12. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really noticed that today, players aren't showing for the ball at all or pulling their weight.

Two instances that stick out. We had a throw in our own half, 4 dundee united players marking abada and rogic who are standing static and not moving. No other player came over to help.

Few minutes left in the game, United player has the ball in their left back position just holding onto the ball not moving much. Crowd going off their head for someone to press, Jota has to run from LW passed Rogic, Ajeti, Turnbull and Abada to press the man.

We aren't playing as a team, we play with inverted fullbacks to have a man advantage in midfield yet it's like we have no one there most of the time.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i was taking the * mate ;)

6 of them 12 signings were 1 free transfer 2 loan sigings and 3 projects, and like you said we sold 2 players for 30m and spent 20m we have definately been downgraded but i now see why people were saying dont buy your season ticket cause the board will take the * and
    they have

The Phoenix likes this.
  14. ddub11

Ange was supposed to be a no nonsense manager.

Even taking bad luck with injuries what we are seeing from those on the pitch is not acceptable,we are slow to move the ball up the pitch,we are to predicable when we do move up the pitch and our use of dead ball situations is an embarrassment.

Theres a serious lack of passion/desire in this team and imo that starts with the manager.Wheres the passion and fight in this team?what the * is Ange saying to them before they go on the pitch?im guessing its all that be patient/build from the back * talk.

Sick to the teeth of this lot going out and letting us down on the pitch,struggling against mediocre opposition and it seems every game one of them goes awol with some kind of injury.

Ange needs to sort this mess out sooner rather than later otherwise he can * off,he defo talks the talk but as things stand he doesnt walk the walk,The fans going the game need to do their pert as well,if the players dont perform then i hope they get dogs abuse and Ange needs telling to.

Sydneysider likes this.
  15. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

were already seeing excuses coming from the manger about unable to rest players

thats a terrible sign he shouldnt be saying these things to the media and i think its definately in the players heads cause they arent giving everything, their holding back

in scotland if you dont show the teams respect and get down and battle then youll end up with egg on your face

rogic has been * since betis and in all his time at celtic has never been a constant regular because of his fitness i dont think hes offering enough

ajeti isnt giving us enough

we shouldnt be trying to play in a particular style when we are so short on numbers for the first team we should be doing what works

that stubborness on way of playing is gonna kill us ange needs to throw his pride to * now and just get us getting wins thats all that really counts for a club like celtic we are used to winning things, playing pretty football comes later

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  16. MAP

Well, that was disappointing. I had that sinking feeling about 2/3 the way into the first half this might not be our day. Probably in part due to what I thought was a bright start. Thoughts:

• McCarthy disappointing. I'd describe him as languid, and not in a good way. Slow to move, slow to pass, and can't find the space McGregor does in front of the fullbacks; we therefore seem to have more difficulty getting forward from that point.
    • Jota, thumbs up. Happy with Abada too, wish he could dribble a little better. Seems he is good with space to move, but no good if pressed/in tight spaces. I think I prefer to see him keep making early crosses.
    • Done with Ajeti. Didn't look confident at all. He is just so static; offers nothing. Proved he can now miss from an unmissable position. Today would have been such a good day to see GG given the number balls coming into the box toward the end.
    • Very disappointed with Starfelt; he was as culpable for the goal as was Ralston - who didn't need to make that challenge (go to ground). If Welsh replaced him I wouldn't mind; I'd have loved Welsh's heading ability/threat at our corners today.
    • Plenty of passes intercepted today, which drove me nuts. A number to from Soro. I want to throw the remote through the tv when I see him make a stupid, rash challenge then jump around like a spoilt child/clown.
    • Happy to see Rogic now dribbling within the box. Haven't seen that for a while and that I think it is a big plus for us moving forward.
    • Refereeing was rubbish, and at times for both teams.
    • In general, certainly seems to me that our play has slowed down (could be in my head).
    • Won't be surprised if Leverkusen really put us to the sword; I just don't think we have the cattle on the park to compete this week.
    International break really can't come soon enough for the squad it seems. Still happy with where we are at; I've no doubt there'll be a few rants above, which I'll now go read.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

no mention of the 2 shocking challenges by dundee utd players on mccarthy and abada today, very fair analysis by the ex rangers steven thomson and steven naismith not

sportscene now hun tv ?

18. Bonobhoy

Another issue is that one player 1 week plays well then sucks balls the following game...never any consistency,either a hit or miss

19. MAP

I agree. The sooner the fat imposter starts doing laps during games the more confident I will feel in his ability to properly manage the team.:56:

20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Excellent, insightful post !