1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Al Bootyerbaws

Joshua is a poor man's Frank Bruno.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :giggle1:

3. scootz

They are very comparable in terms of physique, energy levels and fighting style (one probably dictates the others!).

I’d pick Frank over AJ.

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The bolded is all in saying really, because I would favour Joshua over Wilder it’s fairly marginal and based on Joshua being able to rebuild after yesterday’s loss.

Basically I'm just disagreeing with the sudden “Joshua was always pretty average” angle I’ve been seeing here. he’s very much a live dog against anyone, and nobody in the heavyweight seen is close to flawless, which is what’s making it so exciting just now.

I genuinely don’t think there’s any need to dissect his performance too much because Usyk was just that good. He could’ve coasted for the last couple of rounds but actively sought the stoppage, and simply wasn’t going home without all the belts.

Hammy89 likes this.
  5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Nonsense.

There’s no point in even discussing it frankly, if you definition of a bloke who has a single unavenged loss in his career which includes a stoppage win vs Klitschko a *.

I don’t even like the guy, but you’re very clearly letting the bolded cloud your judgement of him as a fighter.

He could fight the likes of Chisora or Joyce and quite easily make tens of millions, so our definition of done may differ.

6. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Usyk is going to get better and he is Fearless

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Yeah, agreed although I would say Fury vs Usyk is a terrible fight that I would favour Fury in.

Joshua didn’t even perform that badly. The people who believe he did should ask themselves what he could’ve done differently.

I think people are just not aware that they saw a genuinely all time great fighter at his absolute peak last night. This isn’t like Ruiz, where you watched it knowing Joshua could come back and make adjustments, there’s very little he’ll be able to do differently if they fight again, and Usyk delivers that level of performance.

8. Al Bootyerbaws

Discussing boxing with daft Paul is like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon just knocks the pieces over, * all over the board then struts around like it won. This is a guy who once told us on the mma thread the secret to beating Khabib was to punch him in the face, I * you not.

King of Kings likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He is right to an extent though..

He's obviously no a * but he's been severely overrated for a long time..

He avenged a loss to a guy who won the jackpot, partied and still cautiously stayed on the outside. Against a wee fat * who'd smashed him all over the place on a few day's notice..

Wlad was 40, out the ring retired for 2 year's after Fury took the * out of him. Yet still, he had Joshua down and in allsorts of trouble. A fresh Wlad ends him..

He's looked chinny and worried about being caught there for a long time now also..

In the eye's of the public, he'd be finished. Fighting Del boy wouldn't change that..

Fury would maul him in my opinion and although Joshua is a far better boxer than Wilder...I'm convinced Wilder cleans him out..

Hammy89 likes this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    100%

11. celtic20

Btw I know nothing about boxing so could easily be getting the wrong end of the stick here. But why do so many people seem to have such a dislike for Joshua? Always seems really humble and respectful whenever I heart him or see his social media stuff. Comes across as a genuinely decent guy. Why does he have such a sizable number of folk that can't go him?

12. Al Bootyerbaws

Humble * all he's a bullshitter and folk can smell it off him from miles away.

13. celtic20

What makes him a bullshitter? No being cheeky or anything, just don't get it

14. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Racist, arrogant, false *. For a start.

AJ is severely overrated. His best win to date is still a 40 year old, inactive Wlad, and even then he was spitting gumshield out twice (also spat it out vs Ruiz), and can count himself lucky Wlad let him off.
    Fury has always been levels above him.
    I think AJ is better boxer than Wilder, but if they fought I think it's a firefight and Wilder hits harder, way harder. He lands on that glass jaw and it's curtains.

dmccourt95 and McChiellini.. like this.
  15. celtic20

Racist? Didn't know that!

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He’s been the poster boy for British boxing for a while and has very much been catapulted to stardom by the big media sources. That means he has to toe the line and he does it. The widely held view is that he’s not the humble, nice guy that he likes to display.

You have to separate that from his ability as a fighter though, which is very much top level.

celtic20 likes this.
  17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Look into it, you’ll find out. His mask has slipped a couple of times now.

Anyone see the clip of Hearn confronting a fan after it ? He’s * raging :56:

18. KingArtur'1

AJ is a one trick pony...a right hand. Been shown up here

19. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s no valid grounds whatsoever on which Joshua can be labelled a * or anything close. It’s fairly easy to see where he is - which is behind Fury who is the top heavyweight in the world and Usyk who is a genuine pound for pound great and just put on the display of his life, but above the next tier of fighter like Whyte, Joyce and Parker.

Basically, if Joshua is a * then combat sports is * brimming with them, because only the very best are actually better.

I don’t know anyone who really rates Joshua as the best heavyweight in the world, therefore I’m unsure where the overrated angle comes from. He was arguably the most hyped, but that shouldn’t be unexpected given his Olympic background and the fact he fits the appearance of a top heavyweight that people still buy into. Most now believe Fury is the guy, as do I, having said that I won’t be giving Fury any credit whatsoever for Usyk beating Joshua.