1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Many Saints Of Newark

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Valhalla, Jun 29, 2021.

Discuss The Many Saints Of Newark in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If the movies a success and people buy Gandolfini as an actor then HBO will throw all sorts of money at them to make a prequel series.

Going by the trailers it honestly looks like a cheap TV movie.

2. jonbhoy1990

3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Yeh I knew about that going by those dates that would make him 23 cause he’s meant to be born in 59 Chrissy is born 69 from what I see in the movie they have used artistic licence and made Tony older than originally thought and according to paulie Willie overall is Tony’s first kill but who’s to say Tony has actually kept his first kill close to his chest …. Like how did he know it wasn’t actually TV trays he was bringing home when he was killed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It’s more about dickie than about Tony

Taz likes this.
  5. Conlon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Past - Henrik .... Present - Who knows
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing... among others
    Gandolfini has starred in few things I've quite enjoyed, The Deuce being one of them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

6. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Bit disappointing for me. All a bit slow and low key.
    Ray Liotta playing 2 parts as well :39:

7. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I think the idea would work really well as a series and not sure why they haven’t done that.
    The whole appeal of the sopranos was getting to know the characters and really investing in them over time.
    This didn’t really happen for me with Dickie Moltisanti in the movie.
    A lot of the characters from the series were just there for effect as well and played no part in the movie. The guy doing the Silvio impression was particularly cringeworthy.

Pearse67* and Taz like this.
  8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I have to agree @paulie walnuts no idea why they didn't do this as a mini-series/stand alone season instead of trying to cram in scenarios and characters that just didn't fit the narrative this story was trying to tell. It really needed the extra time to expand on and develop. TBH, it's like David Chase had an entire season all planned out, but some genius at HBO said, 'go make it into a movie instead', and as you say, some of the characters inclusion was purely there for fan service, as I alluded to, but did not serve the narrative of the story this film was trying to tell.

Am really not sure how much crossover appeal that this film would have for those who are not previously into The Sopranos... or for that matter, anyone who has never seen the Sopranos and then went to watch this movie, would it inspire to go and then watch a 20yo TV show, no matter how good or recommended it was?

paulie walnuts likes this.
  9. Pearse67*

Just seen it and a tad disappointed, as stated paulie, sil were included just for their quirks, story sort of bounced all over the place, would of made a cracking ten part series and could have went further.

As a film, too many things going on.

Did enjoy it though just seeing the sopranos on the big screen and thought vera farmiga had livia down to a tee.

Taz and paulie walnuts like this.
  10. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Aww im gutted about these reviews.. Will still go see it tbh! Had a hunch there was a lot going on even from the trailer.

Hopefully something else comes from it! So many streaming platforms now a days hungry for remakes and mini series.

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Writers getting tired chase doesn’t trust anyone else on it too I’d think

12. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I seen it last night. Really unsure what to make of it. I feel like a mini series should’ve been made. There is no way they can capture the essence of the sopranos and hint to all the storylines mentioned in the sopranos in one, two hour long movie. I was impressed by Corey Stoll however, as I expected to be. Did really well as junior I reckon.

13. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Exactly. Silvio and Paulie and their roided up versions of themselves were just there for fan service ultimately.

14. Gully Sands

Fav Celtic Song:
    SAM song
    I had a good time but I wish it was a series and not a movie. I understand the Sil criticisms but I really enjoyed young Paulie and wish he was in it more. Tony, Livia and Junior were all spot on. Hoping for more.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  15. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think everyone's consensus is that what was written would've served to make a much better series than it did as a movie...

Besides Alan Taylor's record as a film director is somewhat less than impressive. Terminator Genisys & the worst MCU movie of them all, Thor: Dark World on his resume and now this. Think even he would probably have wished they'd been able to expand this into a full season and he just took responsibility for an episode or two.

16. stew37

Been really looking forward to this, saw it was on my IPTV a while back but went to see it at the Vue tonight, first film I've wanted to see in the cinema for a while.

I'd glanced over some comments on here about it being disappointing, but while I knew it wouldn't be of the same quality as the series, I actually enjoyed it as a standalone movie.

Thought all the casting was pretty decent, and the soundtrack was really good. The humourous dialogue between characters was always going to be difficult to reproduce, as in my opinion, the Sopranos is the best series written.

17. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Still not seen any ideas as to why Ray Liotta played 2 parts. Seemed utterly bizarre and totally ridiculous to me :39:

18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's not unusual really where actors playing siblings/twins, going back to the likes of Bette Davis (can think of her doing it twice in two completely unrelated movies), Olivia deHavilland and Kirk Douglas, to more modern times with Tom Hardy, Armie Hammer, Edward Norton, Nicholas Cage, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jeremy Irons are just some that I can think of off the top of my head. And that's before even going into those who've done multiple but unrelated roles in the same movie.

paulie walnuts likes this.
  19. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Fair enough. Looking into it, Dan Grimaldi also played both Parisi twins in the Sopranos. I had no issue with that.
    Don’t know why but this was just one of the many things that I didn’t like about the many saints of Newark.

Taz likes this.
  20. Smithy

The actor who played Vito in the Sopranos also played a random guy (Gino?) in the Deli when Christopher shot the kid in the foot.