1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Poor * hasn't had a fit squad since he got here.

"I must have walked under a ladder mate" was his response to the Giakoumakis question:giggle1:

Raoul Duke, Noskeil, James Mc and 7 others like this.
  2. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  3. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    FFS, Bain will be getting a stint at centre forward soon the way things are going. :56:

Wllm likes this.
  4. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    FFS. We are the good guys and yet we have * luck whereas the huns have a pack with the devil and seldom get any injuries.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  5. Sin

I'm guessing we signed the Greek lad to give Mikey someone to talk to......

6. Foley1888

We are winning no league this year squad is so threadbare and got nearly half a team out every week.

Julien, McGregor, Forrest, Kyogo, Johnston, Giakoumakis and Taylor who would all be first team squad players out.

Imagine having them available or even the first 6 instead of Urhoghide, Bitton, Nobody, Ajeti, Montgomery and nobody because that’s who we have right now. We would still be light at CM and not have an obvious first choice left back but it’s a lot better than not even being able to field a credible first team.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I do feel sorry for him..

He isn't faultless but he's hampered to *..

Two welcome player's in/back in to the squad and both injured when we already were short in both position's..

Just a nightmare injury list..

Mr Shelby likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The list of injuries and niggles is just stupid now.

The bizarre thing is, probably contrary to what most Celtic fans will tell you, with absolutely everyone not just fit but match fit we’re fairly well equipped but even just a couple of injuries and the bench looks weak as *. A ‘couple’ of injuries would be a Godsend at this point, it feels like a couple dozen.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Ange was saying last week he was optimistic McGregor would be available for the Livi game. Now he only has an outside chance of being back for the Leverkusen game.

Unbelievable.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Doubt McGregor will be starting at Pittodrie then, which is the only coming game I was bothered about..

Is our training intensity, coupled with our volume of game's too taxing so early on?

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Calmac was always going to hit the skids at one point, he’s played more than games than almost any player in European football over the last several years almost without a single injury and most likely to his own detriment as he’s played through niggles and the pain barrier.

Gubbing a couple pills at the side of the park a couple weeks ago and then being subbed was very telling.

13. Rogicisgod

14. JamesM09

I don’t really buy the ‘bad luck’ *.

I mean it’s not Ange’s fault obviously but we’ve clearly not got the right people looking after player fitness.

I think we hired a sports scientist from Morton or something the other day so obviously we’ll be fine going forward now..

15. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    The number of injuries our players have been getting for years has been ridiculous, guys pick up these knocks that don't seem like anything to worry about and then you're lucky if you see them again in the next 3 months whatever we do behind the scenes is just one of a million things that needs overhauled.

16. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Glad we didn't score 6 or the "Kyogo is the new Larsson/we will score six against everyone" type of chat would be starting again. Still a good dose of humility and realism here that we are a good few weeks/months off from any sort of stability.

October is going to be an extremely interesting month. I am not too optimistic of maximum points domestically.

17. AussieGreek

Chris Sutton - Ange Postecoglou's Celtic interview screamed one thing to me ahead of nightmare few weeks

Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou looked like a man with the weight of the world after the game on Thursday night.

No wonder.
    His post match interview following the Raith win just screamed of a guy thinking, ‘Give me a break’.

Postecoglou could sure do with one.

It’s important for Celtic supporters to keep the faith with the manager. He has certainly improved the side from last season, even if they are still way short of where he wants the squad to be.

But you cannot deny he’s been dealt an incredibly difficult hand in his three months in charge.

It’s been issue after issue for him and he’s been left fire fighting on a weekly basis.

Postecoglou hasn’t been helped by the fact he was late in the door in the door and that had a huge knock-on effect on new signings. I can understand why he’s feeling a bit cursed when it comes to the recent injury problems.

Celtic are missing so many key players at a time when the manager needs all hands on deck.

The next few weeks could be a nightmare if he doesn’t get some bodies back.

It’ll be hard enough against a decent Dundee United side at Celtic Park tomorrow, but I’ll looking down the line at Bayer Leverkusen next week and it’s impossible not to have concerns.

The Germans are a proper team and they could inflict some damage if they click in to gear. There are hazardous trips to Aberdeen and Motherwell on the horizon where all the talk will be about Celtic’s woeful away record.

So I’m not surprised Postecoglou is looking like a man who’s lost a tenner and found a fiver.

He’s had so much to deal with in his short time in charge it’s bound to have worn him down.

Kyogo Furuhashi comes in and lights up the place – and then gets injured.

Callum McGregor takes his game to another level since being handed the captain’s armband – and then gets ruled out.

He’s not been able to call on trusted campaigners such as James Forrest, his main left back in Greg Taylor gets crocked, there’s been issues with Covid.

Now his deadline day striker signing gets injured in the warm up before he’s about to make his debut.

It’s been a never-ending run of misfortune for the boss.

In fact, it’s probably a minor miracle Celtic are only four points behind Rangers in the league, in the group stage of the Europa League and the last four of the Premier Sports Cup.

But the bad news is, it doesn’t get any easier.

The Giorgos Giakoumakis news on Thursday probably summed it all up. We were working at the game and were wondering where the Greek forward had got to in the second half.

He’d been out warming up earlier on but was nowhere to be seen after the break.

When it went to 3-0 and Raith went down to 10 men, it looked the ideal time to get him on and give him some vital minutes.

But nothing is going to plan for Postecoglou.

He had to take Albian Ajeti off as he’s the only striker left and while Jota was impressive all night, he was less effective when he went in to a central role.

There just are not enough options for the manager right now as his squad is light in every single department.

We saw the problems at the back earlier in the season, now it’s in the forward areas.

I have concerns about the midfield as well. McGregor is a massive miss in there.

Some of the criticism of James McCarthy at Livingston at the weekend was OTT but he responded with a decent performance against Raith.

He clearly needs games but he’s ability shouldn’t be questioned.

The worry is there’s a lot being put on Tom Rogic and David Turnbull but those two are playmakers rather than dynamic midfield workers.

Again, it’s needs must for Celtic right now.

There is nowhere to hide for Postecoglou – but he knows it as well.

He has cursed his luck but he’s not made excuses.

I said at the start of the season this could be a bumpy ride and it’s already been the case. There would have been blips even with everyone fit, never mind with so many key men on the sidelines.

Livingston was a shocker at the weekend, but it shouldn’t have come as a surprise. There will be more of those kinds of days to come as it’s simply going to take the manager time and a few transfer windows to properly build his squad.

I understands results like Livi will get fans’ backs up but they are going to have to be realistic.

This is a club that finished 25 points behind Rangers last season and needed completely overhauled. We know things could have moved quicker in terms of the recruitment, but that’s not on the manager.

He will need the people around him to lift him as well and it’s going to be on the more experienced players to really step up to the mark in the coming weeks.

The likes of Jota, Liel Abada and Kyogo have hit the ground running and while Carl Starfelt, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Josip Juranovic have been launched in to the side but they’ll need to show they have what it takes to be Celtic players.

McGregor will be back soon, Christopher Jullien is on the way and Kyogo has resumed training.

This is a brutally tough period for Postecoglou who is due an upturn in fortunes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2021
  18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I back ange, I hope and believe we got a good manager in him. Whilst no man in charge of our club is immune from criticism I am struggling to remember a tougher set of starting circumstances. A major rebuild, injuries all over the place, one transfer window and chaos at board level. I guess the point am trying to make is regardless of who is charge right now it would always be tough. If it were during a MON or BR reign I think as a support we would be more likely to jump on the defensive. For me we can only judge the man when he has fair resources to get the job done. Yes that starting 11 should have had enough to see off livingston but their are many variables at play that are beyond ange's control. Having ajeti lead the front line then and for the foreseeable is a major problem. Thank christ the huns are also wobbling otherwise as a support we would be far less patient. Given time I think he will prove to be a success, I just hope time allows him to show us he will become a success. Cannot think of many favorable conditions for him at the minute but when things turn more favorable we will go up more than a few gears. If he doesn't when we get key players back that's when we can rightfully question his ability.

As much as any other Celtic fan I think winning the league is nearly a minimum requirement but I won't let the bigger picture go unnoticed either. Big couple weeks coming too

19. Heb Celt

Sutton gets it spot on in that article.As he says towards the end of it,the players picked in the next few games have to up their game to help out the manager.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member