1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Agree we need some Brown-esk steel on the pitch - but of the above - ' the ability to put the fear in someone and stay on the pitch' - from what I have seen this season, Ralston and CCV, Soro and Bitton are red cards waiting to walk.....as for the Ref at Livi cant say he had a great game, honestley did not feel he favored them and it was not his fault we failed to win

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  2. rusty83

Fav Celtic Player:
    rogic
    Rubbish. Ange’s entire coaching cv and track record is built on his principles. Now’s not the time to jettison a proven formula for the sake of pragmatism. The moment that happens Ange just becomes another hum drum coach with no real point of difference. There are already hundreds of those in Europe. Ange is trying to build something beyond next weeks result. Winning is important, but the way you win is also important, and can lead to larger success. Suppose against Livingstone, he changes tactics, lobs long balls into the box and wins the game. The pragmatism pays off, but the players learn to distrust his tactics and get frustrated with playing out from the back. When going gets tough the players and coach become start to rely on bovine crude tactics to get themselves out of trouble rather than patient, methodical build up. It works sometimes but ultimately breeds mediocrity which will translate into results. It may even be good enough to win the SPL but Im sure Ange has his sights set on Europe.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I find it weird you wouldn’t want someone who’s doing well and by all accounts would be the aggression needed beside Ange’s calmness. Might add some fight to the players.

Granted, I have zero idea what he’s like as a coach so I’m not actually bothered. Just interested by your logic.

The big Viduka and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Has he even played for the reserves?

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Think he played the Challenge Cup games (x2)

MacEwan likes this.
  6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You rarely see his name but that’s right enough.

He’s in a weird spot. Probably too good for the Colts but slightly below the 1st team right now.

JC Anton likes this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Playing Devil's Advocate here, but it's a widely held view that the club generally treats a lot of players like crap, including some of the Lions. Why would they be so keen to help out Kennedy?

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    When is the last time Celtic beat Livingston at home ? Small ground with a synthetic pitch that any visiting team has trouble getting a result from them.

Is it so important to win against Livi ? I would be happy to get a point from a draw and look to the following game on a decent pitch. You deal with Livi at home by playing different and keeping your players from getting injured.

You play defensively and have them come at you because their home fans will be screaming for them to win the game . That will bring their backline up higher and eventually make them vulnerable to counter-attacks - thus we score and win or draw the game. They are not important in the scheme of things . Less about ego and more about being practical.

I suspect all this anger about the defeat is not about the loss of a possible 3 points. Its about being teased mercilessly about Celtic losing, by arseholes at work and at the pub trying to take the *.

Just do not react and laugh it off as an aberration. Then give them * when their team loses !

9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Sorry, my mistake.

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    One could change ingredients in the formula. For example, his preference for passes on the ground will have to go out of the window when faced with poor playing surfaces.

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    The truth is whoever scores against us, it hurts and I do not like it. Especially if they are stupid goals. A beautiful goal against us I will admire, but not an unescessary one due to error.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

New Head of Sports science appointed?

Had me at Anton..

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Finally some sort of backroom appointment.

Just another 567543375869453 to go

JC Anton likes this.
  14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Pressure will start mounting on him big time if we fall further behind. I’m still right behind him but footballs a fickle game and it doesn’t take long for opinions to change.

If the scum pick up 9 form their next 3 games and we don’t then it’s hard to see a way back. Both of us have pretty tough games but ours are slightly harder as we are away to Well and Aberdeen and they are at home to Hibs and Hearts after this weekends games. McGregor should be back this weekend and hopefully Kyogo will be back for Aberdeen. We are really missing them two.

King of Kings likes this.
  15. JamesM09

You’re way way off the mark here mate.

We’ve a 50% loss rate and the performance at the weekend was simply awful from top to bottom. Anger and criticism is very rational, not any sort of reaction to other supporters. It’s completely irrational to talk down an abysmal defeat to Livingston or try and lower standard to make it somehow acceptable.

It’s * all to do with being ‘teased’ by huns.

I stand by what I said, we should be beating these teams every week and we should be seriously looking at it when we don’t. Ange needs to get his act together and fast because that performance was inexcusable.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Tell me you don't understand the levels of expectations of a club the size of Celtic, without telling me you don't understand the levels of expectations of a club the size of Celtic.

JamesM09, King of Kings and Boruc17 like this.
  17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Motherwell and Aberdeen have already beaten Livi on that pitch this season. It's not this massive task you seem to think it is.

And yes it's important to win against Livi. Are you for real? Every single game is important. Accepting a point away at Livi is something I'd expect to hear from Dundee United or St Johnstone fans.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Or fans of the J-league and A-league, where expectations are of a similar level to those clubs, where top 6 is deemed a success.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Tell us you know nothing about Scottish Football without telling us you know nothing about Scottish Football.

Senna s1979 and Peej like this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I actually feel annoyed at myself here, because the * yet again coming from some of these characters on here, to accept mediocrity, is making me feel like things are being attempted to be either Pro-Ange or Anti-Ange, when the simple matter is, it is neither.
    Ange seems a decent coach, good character etc, but he needs to get results and fast now.
    Time is against him here, we don't have another 2 months of these sort of results before we see some sort of improvement. The improvement should have been a month ago.

The huns have dropped 5 points already in 6 games this season, yet we are the ones 4 points behind!

Expecting to have won all 6 games so far is not an unrealistic expectation. *, allowing for a hun defeat, expecting 5 mins is not a terrible expectation or acceptance of reality.
    Yet instead of being either 5 or 2 points ahead of these *, we are 4 points BEHIND them!

That is unacceptable.