1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

This will be a critical period for Ange, as anyone who's read his book will understand.

He will (probably) have believed himself brought in to do a particular job in a particular way, and will have believed himself to have been guaranteed the time to get it right. McKay leaving might have sent a tremor through the camp as (from a CEO rhetoric perspective) Ange's time to get it right is no longer guaranteed.

He'll be looking over his shoulder in a way he wouldn't have been before and the bad luck with players unavailable will be haunting him.

I'm a massive fan of the way his teams play and would love him to be a success at Celtic - but Celtic is the one club where you don't have the luxury of time. He'll walk before he gets sacked (especially if he feels unsupported) but I desperately want him to stay and win.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Has Shaw being playing for the reserves?

3. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Ah ffs I haven't read the book. Does it tell you when we can expect to win an away game?

4. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Despite the Livi result, we have scored plenty of goals and produced decent football. The concern is the defence and the calibre of player at the club.

Ange clearly has an eye for a player. He was also a centre back in his playing days.

If we can just stay within touching distance of the huns until Xmas. No more than 5/6 points. I trust Ange to build a better team in the next window and challenge for the title.

He's working with a very limited team in terms of ability and its been a chaotic time.

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

we should have beaten livingston no reason is good enough for us continually being * on that ground, ange hinted at it i think all or some of the players were beat before we went out on that pitch, i,e, i think mentally we werent right we ofcourse were also tired after a huge effort on thursday

but it really is bipolar in here with people going all doom and gloom after one game

in other news see the bankier came out with a statement illustrating the happy clapping nature of our board saying theve done a good job, what a bunch of charlatan * takers they really are, sack the board

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  6. Mr Cleansheets

Win an away game?

Are you high?

7. rusty83

Fav Celtic Player:
    rogic
    The thing about Ange is, usually at the beginning of his tenure, you get some wild fluctuations and bizarre results. The result against Livingstone isn't a huge surprise to anyone whose tracked his progress over the years. The team is going through a period of major adjustment and it will take time before the team develops the understanding and cohesion to produce consistent results. This will be at the expense of ladder position, as Ange elevates his philosophy above short term results.

This is one of the things I admire most about Ange as a coach, he is willing to put his neck on the line for what he believes is the long term interest of the club, rather than throwing mud at the wall in a desperate attempt to keep his job. Anyone who's begging for Ange to adjust his tactics at half time and make subs just doesn't understand Ange's philosophy. His ideas are set in concrete and isn't moved by boos or fan pressure.

Ultimately the Scottish game may be too helter skelter for Angeball, unlike the slower pace of the A and J Leagues, but I think we're a long way from giving up on Ange yet.

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Muscat is coaching Ange's previous club now and doing very well also - Yokohama Marinos.

9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Ange played at left back and was an excellent overlapping wing back and scored goals also.

10. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Didn’t know that but the point is Ange must know better coaches and must have worked with better coaches in the past than Kennedy and Strachan.
    Given the big part they played in last season’s debacle it’s criminal that they’re both still picking up a wage.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Livingston reminded me of Wimbeldon in the English Premier League in past years when Wise was playing.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    He had Pappas with him but he is coaching this year in Australia on a 3 year contract.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

if kennedy and strachan were so highly thought of as coaches clubs would be wanting them but see as no * in football wants them then they seem like charity cases to me and the fans, which they undoubtedly are

you have to wonder about the ambition of john kennedy he had a raw deal promising defender that lost his career playing for scotland, i can understand our club wanting to help him out

but if he thinks anything of himself he's gathered enough experience at celtic to try his hand at a small club to see what hes made of

we need well thought of coaches not charity cases

14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Soro and Bitton and Ralston and CCV can lay out players like Holt but the referee was on their side on Sunday - seems they all favour the home team with that whistle.

15. SuperZidane

I'm glad Muscat's doing well in Japan so he wouldn't be an option for us - wouldn't want that animal near our club.

I know Ange doesn't have a trusted number 2 as such who he brings everywhere. However, I agree that he must have at least one person who he knows and/or has worked with before that he could bring in to support him at Celtic.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

He won't do that because then he would be exposed, couldn't hide behind others, he'll be more than happy to pick up a wage at Celtic for the rest of his days.

Sgt Neppers* and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  17. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    This isn't to absolve Ange of any blame for Sundays result, but what the * were Kennedy and Strachan doing, especially Kennedy?

They both know how Livingston set up to play against us, both have seen us drop points every single time we've went there, and they done absolutely nothing to help Ange out for that game.

If he's still here by Christmas, and we're still in the league (We should be, even with our form the huns are abysmal this year) he needs to demand his own staff.

18. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The above in bold.

I´ve said it since he was appointed; He´ll need to learn to adapt and be pragmatic, and double quick. There is no other way. Just like any other manager, at any other club, with a huge task at hand. If not, the risk is that it will end in tears.

He has never managed in Europe at a decent level before, now is not the time to hang on to principles.

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Agreed, Muscat was an animal as a player - sadistic in his tackles.

20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Honduras, Greece in a friendly, Costa Rica in a friendly - all very defensive. One or two Middle Eastern sides as well in WC qualifiers.