1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Totally agree. Said it before he is not a player I see as been at the level we need to be one of our 2 featured regular centre backs but he is a decent player who over the course of a season given the heavy game load we always have can come in and do a good solid job.

2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Hes made a couple of positional mistakes and hes paid the price but he is still young. Thats of no consolation to us right now as these mistakes have ultimately been costly but its worth bearing in mind it wasnt long ago the lad was on loan at Morton and is now playing european football. Thats a steep learning curve.

He is better than most of our cb options right now and he will continue to develop. I think along with Murray, he could be a very good player for us.

3. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    OK goal aside, he was decent enough.
    The reason we lost the game was not because of Welsh.
    Just think he is a better option than Starfelt right now.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I mean, he was massively at fault for the only goal of the game.

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Indeed he was no question about that, the goal was scored on the 25th minute, we had over an hour to try and at least get a draw out of the game, and were incapable of doing so.

Individual errors are costing us, but we are not playing well enough as a team, that has to be a major concern even this early in the season.

Dan Breen and Hammy89 like this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He was woeful for the goal, couldn’t believe what I was watching. He’s done fairly well since he came into the squad but he still has a lot of room for improvement.

The Phoenix and martin_d like this.
  7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes indeed, goal was his fault.
    But it was up the other end of the park where we screwed it up.
    We are going to concede goals, but we need to look at the root cause.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    martin_d likes this.
  8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Can’t criticise the manager for continually picking Starfelt when he’s looked well off it and not up to standard? Nonsense. At Welsh’s age, every game builds confidence, and knowing that the club’s most disappointing CB signing in recent years is getting a game ahead of you does not help that. Let’s not pretend it was normal rotation: it was the arrival of CVV; on of them had to be dropped, and Ange picked the wrong one.

Welsh was generally on form and making fewer mistakes than Starfelt. Plenty of us on here couldn’t believe that, out of the two of them, Welsh was the one who was dropped when we brought CCV in. That’s well documented on here.

Yes, Welsh was well at fault for the goal, but the lad has generally been very good and will improve. The manager is to blame for the loss. Can’t blame the entire game on a young defender making a mistake, especially when Ange has a ‘score one more’ approach.

9. Lecs

In an ideal world, we would have enough quality and quantity in the CB position that Welsh would be loaned out to a St Mirren or another SPL team this season so that he gains all the experience and makes all his mistakes and learning curves at another team in our league's expense.

But we find ourself relying on kids, and the sad thing is they are often out-performing the so called multimillion pound internationals.

Welsh has got a * of a lot to learn, but I can't fault his attitude and commitment.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    thailandceltic likes this.
  10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yep, Welsh should be nowhere near a Celtic first team at this stage of his career. He is way too young and inexperienced and needs more time to learn his trade outwith the pressure of Celtic first team..

He has done well on occasion but also games like Livi expose him..

If Starfelt Julian and Vickers are fit and performing Welsh doesn't get a sniff

11. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Being young is not a reason, he's at the age he should be breaking in the team he's 21 right now, 22 in January.

We had Ajer in at 19/20, Tierney in at 18, McGregor at 20. Is he as good as them, not really, he's also has a harder time to break in given the issues we have so he doesn't have as easy a time to bed in. In Ajer and McGregor they did get a better loan away than he did as well but at a younger age.

Don't forget games against Livi exposed Julian as well in seasons passed. He has been performing at a level on par with any of our other CB's (which are all underperforming right now) every one of them has been at fault for goals so far and I'd say he's been better than Starfelt and Bitton, CCV is just in and Julian is injured so I'd have him as the 2nd pick right now

honda likes this.
  12. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Being better than the other options there at the moment isn't difficult but he still has a lot of learning to do .

13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Calmac and Tierney were exceptional talents at that age. Tierney played left back, probably a position less exposed than center back and had great players beside and in front of him. Calmac had Broony.. personally I thought Ajer was over rated but again also played in a far better Celtic team.

Welsh isn't the same standard yet of those players mentioned and is being chucked into the deep end at Celtic now. I'm not saying he isn't a good player or won't make it but I think he needs better protection..

Julian had a mare that day no denying and the rest of our central defenders are not performing or fit now but that doesn't mean Welsh is ready..

He needs more time, just my opinion

Dublin Celt and JC Anton like this.
  14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Tierney, McGregor ajer all also came through when we were without being disrespectful domestically were in a one horse race. Lot easier to put the odd mistake down to youth and accept it when you are 15 points clear in the league.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

thailandceltic likes this.
  15. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It is definitely a more unforgiving position at CB and without that big experienced head next to him it makes it all that much harder and I think we all agree, it's far easier to integrate into a better team as three less of a critical element to any mistakes.

At this stage though he very much has a place to play in this team, from what we have seen of him since last season when he came into the team he has been one of our better defenders and I'd have him as 2nd choice right now behind CCV, Julian will likely come in and 1st when he is back from injury then it will be a different question for his development as 3/4 it might be a point for next season for him to get out to an SPL level team to get a full season as a starter but it may not be needed by then.

How we handle things with Murray will be interesting to seen ideally he goes out to an SPL side in January once we have 4 CB's fit, but we may also want to retain as cover this year and see him out on loan next year

Maestro 08 likes this.
  16. Maestro 08

Can't believe the harsh treatment this guy is getting. He's 21!! that's a baby in CB terms. You'll struggle to find many CB's of that age starting at any top 5 team (at least) at any top to decent league in Europe. Theres a reason for that and writing him off is just mad. Ideally he would have a full season on loan somewhere to make mistakes but failing that give him time man! All things considered he's shown fantastic promise. Our own academy players always get absolutely hammered here. To put it in perspective the current best CB in Europe was still about 23 when he joined us and was deemed not good enough by the top teams in his own league up to that point. Welsh is 21 and been playing in a basket case defence.

tarboltontim likes this.
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Shakey enough first 10 min but really grew into the game, found his range, overall was solid. I did notice he was carrying a knock about 10 min before he went off. Unlucky with a header.

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Needs out on loan if we aren’t playing him man, he’s too good to be 4th choice when Julien returns.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  19. stew37

He slipped just when he was receiving a pass near the start, which can happen to anyone, but after that I don't think he did much wrong, and was generally solid throughout. Yellow card was harsh as well, difficult to manouvre with your arms by your sides. More than comfortable with him remaining in the team.

Dan Breen and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Thought he was a massive stepdown from Starfelt tbh, was sloppy for the majority of the game.

At the same time he's had very little game-time the last 2 months and was thrown in at, on paper, a tough away game in Europe, so you can see why he'd be a bit rusty.

Will most likely be 4th choice when Jullien is fully fit so I'm not fully against the suggestions of sending him out on loan in January.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021