1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aiden McGeady

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Regime, Mar 1, 2016.

Discuss Aiden McGeady in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

There’s something about him that makes him a bit unlikeable. Can’t quite put my finger on it, good interview all the same.

2. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Aye man I get what you mean, he’s very casual and comfortable in his own skin. But I’m not sure that’s why I would unlike him. It’s a weird one. The more I’ve watched the show the more I dislike Si Ferry, think he’s got a nasty streak, constant jibes at Kev Kyle and Slaney (Who I wasn’t too keen on initially but has won me over). You could argue it’s for the cameras and is just patter but it’s constant.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

This Eto’o story is unreal.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AIDEN McGEADY has left the door open to a return to Scottish football when his days in England are over.

The former Celtic star also revealed that John Kennedy tried to persuade the winger to return to Parkhead while he was at Everton.

McGeady says he is still looking to finish his career north of the border but understands it may come down to circumstance as to whether any club would want him.

But his return could quite easily have come many years ago after a chat with former Hoops boss Ronny Deila’s No2 Kennedy who tried to prise him away from Goodison.

McGeady reveals the timing wasn’t right as he continued pursuing a successful Toffees career.

Speaking on the Press Box podcast, McGeady said: “There was a possibility for me to rejoin Celtic actually.

“It was when I was at Everton where I was in and out of the team and Ronny Deila was the manager.

“John Kennedy actually phoned me and asked if I fancied going back, I can’t remember if it was on loan or permanent.

“But I had only been an Everton less than a year and had it in the back of my head that I didn’t want to go back then as I thought I would play for Everton at some point.

After that, the opportunity never appeared again. Deila got sacked, Brendan Rodgers came in and for whatever reason he wanted to go down a different route.

“I had it in my head when I was younger that I wanted to come back to Celtic one day and finishing my career there would’ve been the ideal scenario.

“But it just didn’t happen and it won’t now as it’s not happened yet I don’t think.

When I left Peter Lawwell said ‘never say never in football’ about going back one day.

“I don’t know if I would play for another team in Scotland, football is a funny game and things can change.

“I don’t want to come across as disrespectful but I want to play in England for as long as I can.

“I would like to say yes to coming back up and finishing my career in Scotland and living in Glasgow but it might not be what the clubs that would want me would want.”

The Ireland international also discussed his decision to choose to play for Ireland over Scotland.

And reveals he did try to play for Scotland at youth level but wasn’t allowed to due to Celtic’s pro-youth ruling that he couldn’t play for his school team – a requirement for the international side at that level.

He said a call from Hoops legend Pat Bonner and his desire to play at that grade meant his choice was simple, especially with his Irish Catholic background.

He added: “I think it is common knowledge that – and I don’t speak for all fans - most Celtic fans grow up with an Irish Catholic background.

“And then most Celtic fans end up supporting Ireland because of their history and their roots. And that’s no different to myself.

“My grandparents are Irish and we would go on holiday to Ireland every summer and would always have Ireland kits as a young boy, instead of Scotland.

“I don’t know why, it’s just what I was drawn to.

“But when the time came to play for either Ireland or Scotland, i initially saw the Victory Shield and thought ‘I want to be a part of that’.

“And I was seeing other players from Rangers playing in it and playing international football from around u14’s.

“I tried to play for Scotland from around that age and they had that rule where you had to play for your school team and play schoolboy football.

“And I wasn’t that bothered about it, I was fine.

“Then Packie Bonner phoned up my dad and asked if I wanted to go away and play for Ireland.

“And my dad said to me, and I said ‘definitely, because it’s international football’.

Tommy Burns took me in to see Berti Vogts and he was trying to get me to declare for Scotland.

“And I didn’t want to do that as I felt I would be turning my back on Ireland and the people that gave me a chance when Scotland didn’t.”

McGeady took a thinly-veiled swipe at supporters that gave him abuse from the terraces.

And he pointed to an anti-Irishness in the game when stating that players picking other countries over Scotland didn’t suffer the same abuse he did.

He concluded: “Even going back to pre-season with Sunderland against Hearts, every time I touched the ball I got booed at Tynecastle.

“James McCarthy got the same, every away game in Scotland. Booed when I got the ball, cheered when I lost it or got tackled.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    The Phoenix and eire4 like this.
  5. Mr. Slippyfist

Eto'o sounds like a bawbag.

6. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Agreed. Sounds like an arrogant, disrespectful *.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Reminds me of a story about John Carew when he was at Aston Villa during Alex McLeish's brief time in charge. He so disliked the training sessions under McLeish that he decided one day to get through an entire session without ever tying his boots shoe laces and just going through the motions and nobody said anything.

8. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Who does he think he can
    Like Balotelli not knowing who Arbeloa was three months into his Liverpool career and he still didn't know the names of a few of his teammates by the time he left

9. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    I'm sick of all these players wanting "to finish" their careers with us.
    no, * off, you dont wanna give us your best years then you dont get to end your career on a high, you can stay in obscurity where you belong.

10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    It’s definitely not a signing we need or want. McGeady gets a bit of abuse from our own fans and it is not deserved one bit. Although he was a moaning * on the pitch and a bit awkward with Strachan he never sold the fans short. He always put in the effort and played when he wasn’t 100% fit at times. He also got us the biggest transfer fee in Scottish football at that time and helped us build a squad from the proceeds. Always have time for Aiden. :57:

eire4, mayo, Rydo1888* and 3 others like this.
  11. oh bhoy

McGeady was * amazing!

3:47 in this second clip for him taking the top row out of Alex rae ,deserves a medal for that alone

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    The67Sound likes this.
  12. Bonobhoy

Its exactly someone like this we need now.

Someone that runs at teams,confident on the ball and shoots anywhere he feels like.....add in the spin to take the *.

Mince.Charming and oh bhoy like this.
  13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The sooner Jota is back the better. We have missed him so much.

Taz likes this.
  14. oh bhoy

If jota was doing the sort of things McGeady was capable of we would rightly be comparing him to all the greats

15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Give the lad time he is still only 22 he may well get there given how well he is already doing.

16. oh bhoy

not knocking jota just biging up mcgeady

eire4 and Mince.Charming like this.
  17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People were extremely harsh on McGeady. Gave plenty of top defenders a torrid time.

The_Bhoy, eire4 and Mince.Charming like this.
  18. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    I * loved McGeady.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    To be fair I think McGeady would absolutely flourish under Ange's system if he was playing now.

20. oh bhoy

st mirren could pack their own box and he'd still jink his way through

eire4 likes this.