1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Should not have been dropped for Starfelt, and because he did he's come in for this game with confidence levels not what they were.

But he was dropped, and has come back in today, and absolutely was to blame for the goal. That's twice now his lack of ability to deal with long balls has cost us.

I like the boy, but we need better. It's got to be CCV and Julien when he's back. And fir * sake we need to keep it like that for a few month so they can form an understanding.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Cost us the goal.

3. Maestro 08

I 100% agree with with the first part and is exactly what I thought at the time. His confidence was sky high and he was playing really well, getting dropped and then flung back in randomly has to have unsettled him. He deserved to keep playing but the manager (and again this highlights another dubious decision from him) decided to persist with the expensive signing and it inevitably has prob been a factor in their goal today.

Double Dutch likes this.
  4. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The decision to go with Starfelt kinda irked me at the time, but now, having the gift of hindsight, it's majorly * me off. Decisions like that are not the sign of a top manager. Am * livid in all honesty.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  5. Smithy

Don’t talk nonsense. Jozo was awful when he left us, do you not remember the Copenhagen game? There’s a reason he’s now plying his trade in India.

The revisionism on here with guys like Jozo, Gordon, Lustig etc is absolutely mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crilly likes this.
  6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I like him but it’s an absolute myth that he doesn’t put a foot wrong etc.

His fault for the goal today, lost his man against Rangers for their goal, horrific for AZ’s first goal.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This

He's bang average. Quite a number of people were overreacting massively at Welsh being dropped instead of Starfelt. Six and half a dozen for me. Neither of them are good enough to be regulars for us.

8. Maestro 08

He's 21! I don't expect him to never put a foot wrong, especially at that age, he's also had about 3 different goalies and 4 different defensive partner already this season. I would say he's done very well all things considered. Early doors this season he's the one that held things together. A well functioning team, would have experience and older heads to help him out and guide him through games.

So yeah he's not the finished article but he's better than Starfelt who we signed to be our main man. Dropping him when we did was a mistake and I think has prob left him rusty for that goal yesterday.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jozo would have got a decent move if he could pass a medical. Even at his worst he’d have walked into this back line.

Don’t think people quite understand how * our defence is just now.

The fact Stephen Welsh is seen as some sort of great white hope and that people are desperate Christopher Jullien to return sums up how * it is.

The Phoenix likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Pish excuse. He's missed two games, not two months. I'm sure when Starfelt comes back in and makes a mistake you'll let him away with it because he was rusty.

Was he rusty against Alkmaar when he (and Hart) cost us a goal? Or against the huns when he lost his man at the corner?

He came in and did a job for us when the rest of the defence was abysmal. A bit like Soro last season in midfield. But now it's fairly apparent that we need better. He'll do as a back up, but not a first choice.

Sonic Reducer and trackebhoy like this.
  11. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    The excuse making is Trump levels, boy had howler, it happens.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't think he's a bad player but I don't think he's great.

With him, he's one i think we could easily improve on. Squad player.

13. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Guy gets inexplicably and suddenly dropped - losing his place to a guy who, by common fan consensus, is shaping up to be a total dud - and we wonder why he makes a goal-costing mistake when he gets suddenly thrown back in?

Gie yersels peace. The guy’s confidence must be in pieces now. Thanks Ange.

14. cheesepoo

Dropped for a couple of games to rotate with two other defenders of roughly similar quality. If he kept playing every game and got injured people would be moaning he was overplayed and should have been given a rest. People are acting like he came in to training one day and without a word Ange just said "you're out son" without an explanation. There are decision you can give * to the manager for but this isn't one

dmccourt95 and JC Anton like this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He only missed a couple of games and played for the Scotland U21s, it's not as if he's been out for months..

He has made a few costly mistakes this season, so the lad isn't blameless its just when you make mistakes as a defender it tends to cost us..

He's had a few excellent performances too, so for me the jury is out on him.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:giggle1:

Nothing inexplicable about it. None of our centre backs have been convincing this season.

That mistake he made yesterday isn't a one off. That's the issue.

17. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Thrown back in :56:

He played our last league game before the break. Cost the goal actually as it happens.

honda likes this.
  18. AussieGreek

The boy cost us the goals against Livingston and Rangers, but he's also not the reason we lost those games either.

19. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

This is a false narrative. You can criticise the manager for a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. Rotation is natural, especially given the tough schedule so far this season.

Welsh only really has himself to blame for the mistakes, and he's made a few this season. That's part of the parcel with a lot of young footballers and he needs to learn from it.

His mistake cost us yesterday and changed the game. He wasn't thrown in from nowhere though.

eire4 and Mr. Slippyfist like this.
  20. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yes he could have done better for the goal, there's no denying that. The whole team is at fault for our failure to win though. Simple as.

Welsh has generally done quite well, for this what will jump in to say he has been at fault for a couple goals please point me to a defender in our team who has not been at some point this season (other than Julian, he's not played yet before anyone tries to be smart) yes, improvements are needed that's true of every player we have right now there are issues that need resolved in the club we know that.

If the team had not been so * across the board yesterday and we had gone on to win there would not be this sort of hostility to the boy.

martin_d likes this.