1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Turnbull or Rogic?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Sep 17, 2021.

Discuss Turnbull or Rogic? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Agreed, but I don't think the manager even wants to choose between the two- he was known for playing 3 attacking midfielders simultaneously. Unwise in tougher games, but that's Ange Postecoglou.

2. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He took the corner that Ralston scored from. His form has been a bit patchy but we don’t have a better set piece taker and normally he’s very good.

3. jambo_cfc

also ajetis second against coubty came from a cross by turnbull to mccarthy , for me most spl games its a midfield 3 of mcgregor , turnbull and rogic , in the bigger games mccarthy plays instead of rogic and calmac pushes forward one, my feeling is when mccarthys fit we wont see the same 3 in consecutive games as his high press games will require giving players rest

Jordann likes this.
  4. Foley1888

My answer to this is both, rather than one or the other. Given the schedule we have and neither looking the most natural fitness wise, we should be rotating them or as we have seen at home to the likely bottom teams in the league we can get away with both playing.

For me once we get players back it’s like the winger situation, you play one of them for 60-70 minutes and let them empty the tank and then bring on the other fresh to go at a tiring team. That way we don’t burn out our better attacking players and minimise their injury risk from a fatigue point of view. Like can you imagine even in a tight game being able to look to your bench and throw on one of Turnbull or Rogic, one of Jota, Abada or Forrest and probably one of Giakoumakis (yet to see him I know) or current form Ajeti.

Compare that to just now where you look at the bench and it is either guys not fancied, decent defenders but your trying to score or young unproven defenders. I think that’s when we will really get to start seeing how good we could be, especially if we look to add good additions in January for box to box midfield and left back.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Creativecelt and Rogicisgod like this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Stats this season

Rogic - 13 appearances, 1 goal, 2 assists
    Turnbull - 13 appearances, 5 goals, 2 assists

Both are excellent players when at the top of their game and I'd say Rogic is easier on the eye when he's at that level but Turnbull has the greater output. He's also not yet reached the levels he's capable of this season, there's more to come.

Creativecelt likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not sure I agree that McCarthy will get up to speed, or that he becomes and automatic pick alongside McGregor.
    They two together wouldn't be the perfect fit for the style Ange tries to play.
    They certainly would be a good option as a pair, with Rogic or Turnbull sitting in front of them, when playing tougher games. But on the whole I think McCarthy will be rotating with McGregor.
    Can see both Rogic and Turnbull in the same midfield, as has happened fairly often now.

Who does get in ahead IF McGregor and McCarthy play together will also depend I think on who the striker is. If it is Ajeti or Giakoumakis, then I think Rogic gets the nod, as he can support with the ball control and forward runs better than Turnbull. But Turnbull offers a better option to the midfield 3 with a vision to find Kyogo for his runs through the middle.

7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I really don’t care too much for stats when it comes to midfielders. Just look at our first goal against Betis. Wheres the stat for that absolute piece of brilliance by Rogic to start the move?

8. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Or his beauty of an assist to kyogo against Alkmaar

9. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

McCarthy has a while to go before he's nudging anyone out the team so we have to wait until he's up to speed, but there's no gaurantee he's going to be slotting right in. As for Rogic and Turnbull, I don't see any reason we can't play both of them and rotate them with McCarthy and Soro. I think they're quite similar players and complement eachother, with more to come from Turnbull. Toss Rogic in amongst that through the middle and we have a very solid core imo. If playing 4231 then I'd have Turnbull & McGregor playing as the 2, with Rogic in the middle of Jota & Adaba, Kyogo up top. Playing a 433 becomes a bit more difficult to fit the three of them in.

This is all * packet formations though, it really all depends on who is in form and available. Young Mikey, Forrest, GG and even Ajeti are in amongst it too, which compromises who you can play in what position.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    While true, it doesn’t tell the full story, Rogic absolutely controls a game to a greater level than Turnbull but Turnbull is more likely to give you that moment to get goals on the scoresheet. I can’t really seperate them.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Turnbull always more of a threat at goal but Rogic has been unplayable at time's this season and a massive reason in how we're attacking..

If you had a gun on my head I'd Rogic over him just for now but Turnbull is a very big player for us still and as you say, don't think he's been anywhere near his best...plus has lot's more development in him..

I'd be playing both tomorrow..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You're attacking an argument I haven't made. No-one is doubting Rogic's brilliance but if he was consistently contributing like his peach of an assist against Alkmaar then it would bear out in the stats.

We need a strong squad so I'm glad we have both as options and we can pick & choose depending on the opponent but in the main I'd be picking Turnbull.

He can at times but other games can pass him by as well, particularly against teams with a little bit of pace/that operate a high press.

Turnbull dominated Lille (eventual French Champions) who had the excellent Soumare (just moved to Leicester for £18m) and Xeka who is very tidy. Bagged a goal and an assist that game.

I've yet to see Big Tam have that level of performance against such good opposition. Maybe going back to 16/17 v Man City at home.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'm actually debating in my head here but a prime Rogic for an hour say is more likely to dominate a game away at the sheep and Hibs etc than Turnbull..

Turnbull I think over the course of the season will end up more of the mainstay out the 2 though..

It's a tough one. I just wise 1 of them were mobile and we wouldn't even need to discuss this..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’d argue that the other night from Tam as well, maybe not at Lille’s level though.

That City performance from Rogic is better than anything Turnbull’s produced as yet though, if we didn’t bring Armstrong on for him we’d have * won that.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:ange:

Geez both.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, I think Tam's feet will get the better of virtually every opponent when he's at his best. Literally like vecro feet.

Against better opposition though they recover at pace and him going by a guy won't always lead to a clear cut chance. Domestically it generally will though. His technique and ability to beat a guy is superior to Turnbull though, no questions asked.

With Turnbull's ability from distance and late breaking into the box though, he bags you more goals than Tam.

He was excellent going forward but we were absolutely wide open in defence. That's the difference between Turnbull v Lille, he still mucked in to press opponents and help defensively.

It's definitely a big flaw to his game that he can't keep up his levels over a 90 min game but arguably he might not be at us if he could.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Against City or Betis we talking wide open in defence? Or both? :56: