1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yep, the state of that bench is deplorable. Couldn’t bring on anyone apart from McCarthy that he trusted. Having to start Soro in Europe is just laughable.

The Phoenix and BigDoggyWoofWoof like this.
  2. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

This was always a transitional season. Our decent start this season and making Europe with the squad we have has just got peoples hopes up.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The difference in how we approach game's is there for all to see. Real purpose and a style of play..

Unfortunately, like many before him, he can't seem to set us up to be hard to break down at all..

We're gonna be exciting but that game today was crying out for just holding what we had for a bit at 2 nil and keeping composed, tight til half time..

Was the most Celtic thing ever to no even be able to hold on to a 2 goal lead for 15 minute's or so..

The Phoenix likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Attacking wise no problems.

Defensively the issues are there but that also goes hand in hand with his style. To be unreal at both you'd need to have some squad of players.

However, we could definitely be more pragmatic and the players just need to cut out the silly *.

Still fully behind him, 4-3 tonight and we've seen better celtic sides chuck leads. Definite positives to take and I didn't even expect us to be here at this point.

Squad is still miles off where it needs to be. January will be massive.

5. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    For me the biggest change he could and should have done was getting soro off quicker. He was a passenger and after getting booked early on had to watch the game pass go by or he woulda been off.

No good having a defensive midfielder who can’t tackle, it just invites pressure on. As soon as McCarthy came on you could see the team change. But aye I’ve still got every faith in the big man :ange:

6. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Has it been a decent start though?

Points wise, we're worse off than what we were this time last season.

Two domestic away games, two defeats.

Out of the CL to that Danish mob.

I know the rebuild is huge, but I can never accept settling for 2nd best while the reward for winning this year's league title is automatic group stage CL participation.

That should have seen a substantial investment in the squad. Instead we came out of the summer window barely better than when we went in, and certainly worse in midfield.

7. Lewis Kerr

Same, it's as if it's ingrained into our DNA. I didn't feel comfortable at 2-0. When they scored 1 back I KNEW they would get another couple at least.

So, so * frustrating. No matter who the manager is it always happens.

Won't blame Ange too much tonight. Going into that game without Kyogo, Forrest, McGregor, Abada, losing Christie and Edouard who would have at least been options a few weeks ago, and scoring 3 goals and generally looking dangerous is some going. That team and bench was honestly pre season standard.

Our defending was idiotic but I blame the defenders individually for that more than anything. Some of it was basic. Ralston was * poor until the last 20 minutes.

I hate how he is playing Starfelt over Welsh though. I will criticise him for that, I don't get it at all. If he was Ange's signing he might feel pressured to be proven right with him, but that's stubborn and stupid at this point. Starfelt and Ange's constant inclusion of him is a massive worry.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  8. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    What would have been a success from a player in/out perspective for you dude?

I should add that I’m not against your opinion at all - said the same re transition season and no real belief realistically a league win was considered more than 30% by the board months ago - but a covid world revenue last year was horrific, ajer Christie and edouard didn’t want to be here, and a shitload of players - largely positive (starfelt) aside have come in. The majority of whom I believe are manager signings.

Turning round and saying he’s been let down though…..I’m 50/50 on that.

The speed of activity was poor, but you can’t say he’s not been supported financially surely?

kyogo
    Starfelt(don’t believe anything but a panic signing - not Ange)
    Abada
    Juranoviv
    Giakoumakis
    Hart
    McCarthy
    Jota

that’s 7/8 of a starting 11 that have come in since he joined.

It’s really not bad backing is it?

The jullien injury continues to be the * of existence. Coupled with a disgraceful (as it looks) spend on starfelt and on our budget that’s 12 million quid on centre defence who are currently bringing * all.

Again my argument goes back to scouting - starfelt looks a terrible piece of business. Panic. Sheer * panic.

THAT I do put at the board.
    But it’s not financial lack of support - it’s * scouting

9. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I've no problem with optimism and giving them a go, because it clearly works. But at 2 up away in Seville, we no longer need to be playing attacking football. Everyone can see that it's unsustainable with that squad, it just seems like *-mindedness when there's nothing to be gained from it.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye he needs to be pragmatic at that point.

Just settle for 15 mins and counter. Get in for half time.

11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think the problem is that, whilst we definitely brought in a lot of players, we just didn't bring in enough.

We sold Frimpong, Edouard, Elhamed, Christie, Hendry, Bayo, Shved and only spent around half of the money we got from those sales.

We knew Christie was leaving, so to go without a replacement was negligence.

Lewis Kerr and The Phoenix like this.
  12. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    McCarthy, Hart and Jota have cost us nothing in terms of fees. The other 5 cost less than the sale of Ajer alone.

Then there's the 9m for Frimpong, 3m for Klimala and 15m for Edouard.

I love Kyogo and think Hart has been a massive upgrade on what we have. But for me we're still far too weak and far too lacking in quality and there's no financial reason why we couldn't have brought in more players. How can it be acceptable to be worse off in midfield than we were before the window opened.

It seems the board would rather bank a profit from the transfer window than go all out to secure CL money. That kind of conservative strategy hasn't served us well at all.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  13. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    agree re Christie 100%

half year accounts in feb (this is the “good” half of the year) showed a 6 million loss. Covid was a * killer - I genuinely was surprised we spent what we did tbh.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Managers that have longevity and consistent success (outwith those that can sign the very best players in the World) are all pragmatists.

It's great having a set style and we're definitely playing with a greater purpose and conviction but you can't be 2-0 up away in Europe and cede the game so easily.

We were in a dream position and we should have a plan B to turn to that allows us to be more compact, more solid and see out games without hearts in mouths.

This air hockey style of football where we have a go, then the opponent has a go is brilliant for the neutral but we'll come unstuck again & again against sides with better quality.

15. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    The next couple of accounts may or may not tell us a lot - I think they will be par at best, after a 6m deficit reported in feb.

16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Kyogo
    CalMac
    Abada
    Bitton
    Johnston
    Karamoko
    Jullien
    Forrest
    Taylor
    Giakoumakis

That's a lot of key players missing tbf

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The midfield is really unbalanced atm too.

We desperately need a DM with pace and strength for games in Europe. I'd then even play someone like that alongside a fit Mccarthy and just tell them to sit and let mcgregor off the leash further forward.

Atm it's just too slow and not enough cover for the defence. Which I don't think helps.

The centre half will take the brunt of the blame most of the time but they've got zero protection.

18. scootz

At 0-2 the game is there FOR ANGE to win it.

He blew the opportunity.

He needs to understand that sometimes it’s not just ok to park the bus… it’s essential!

19. James Gold Member Gold Member

What decent start ? Not even trying to be a * but genuinely ?

20. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I love home Angeball.
    Away Angeball I'm not so keen on.