1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liel Abada

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Jul 14, 2021.

Discuss Liel Abada in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This is absolutely * spot on

JamesM09 likes this.
  2. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Is that the right back we tried to sign?

It's always the same people on this forum tbh. No surprise at some of the posters

3. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    It's a pain in the * but it should be respected and allowed

76mark, The_Bhoy, Wllm and 4 others like this.
  4. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Sorry, hold on: how was I ‘gushing’? Just talking the basics of employment law and civil rights.

I’m not Catholic either; I’m actually a Baptist minister. The ‘our’ was a reference to those who consider themselves Christian, of which I’m one, as are a fair few here. Honestly wasn’t intending anything else by it.

I was only pointing out the solemnity of the holiday to explain Abada’s seemingly high priority of it. I can’t agree that it’s ‘poor’, unless there were grounds for thinking he was just at it, and I don’t think the rest of his traits so far imply that.

As for the board, scouting and/or personal conversations between staff and prospective player should pick up things like how likely someone would be to need extra time off. That would only constitute discrimination if you didn’t sign them on that basis. Not signing someone else for extra depth as well is just being imprudent.

Edit: I also never said I was any happier with it than anyone else. I agree with you that it’s an annoying necessity, but I’d put more stress on the player’s rights. Just annoys me when some folk on here (obvs not you) don’t acknowledge basic employment law.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  5. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I can't believe that people are so ignorant on employment law when it comes to discrimination.

There's a reason why religion and schools attended are no longer asked on job application forms, it leaves companies wide open to complaints of discrimination.

Many of you will have no doubt heard of the trouble that your parents/ grandparents had finding jobs in years gone by, one of the first questions asked...." What school did you go to?" was the kibosh to many an enquiry of employment.

LTPS, Scotia, snails67 and 3 others like this.
  6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

When my dad was a player (*/junior level) back in the late 60s and early 70s, he remembers the Rangers scouts would always get a player list and jot down the schools they attended. Don't need to tell you which players were scored off that list. Not a surprise but it just shows how endemic it was.

Its crazy that we as a fan base would be ignorant toward any religion, given the history.

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Okay, firstly, cool off. Lol.

Yes "docking" wages is not going to happen. I and maybe others merely used the phrase as a way to express the frustration that he is not doing what he is paid to do.

As for the "respect his religion" line that's being blasted about. I would be shocked if ANY Celtic fan were not respectful of the kids religious beliefs and culture.

But theres an element of overkill which is what I see here. As another poster said, "where does it end?". Is he going to miss more games? Do other players of belief have the same leeway when it comes to taking days of work, do they want to?

If biton pulled this people would ask * he's playing at. Maybe he still will, now that this can of worms is open.

Given all the handwringing going in in here, I feel it's only right to point out that EVERY player started having the same attitude to strict observance to their faith, we wouldn't be able to put a * team out, nevermind fill a massive hole that ONE player is leaving us in.

I highly doubt that many on here would be quite so accommodating.

If it's written into his contract than that's on us.

But this is not a country where Judaism is the dominant religion or indeed the driving force behind the organisation and ethos of our society. Yom Kippur is not a nationally recognised holiday. And the player is employed by a club in a a country that doesn't publicly observe it.

For the past four years I've worked on Christmas Eve, Christmas day, Easter Sunday, and although horrible, even as an observant Catholic, I understand that I made the choice to live and work in Country where these "holidays" are not observed, and thus it's my professional responsibility to work on those days.

But guess what. I wasn't kicked out of Catholicism, and a dark hole didn't open up and swallow me. Neither would happen to Abada.

No one is saying he can't chose religion over football. But the club should be able to chose the best, and most professional performers in order to repay the support with a product in the park.

Abada taking time off and missing a game is not that.

If his preference is a religious holiday over a European game for his employers and fans who pay his salary, fine. But our preference should be to players who demonstrate commitment to their profession.

Okay I'm done.

Happy Yom Kippur!

StevieBhoooy! and Dan Breen like this.
  8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Apologies for talking out my *.. I’ve had a terrible week

Callum McGregor and martin_d like this.
  9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Absolute nonsense

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Some of the comments in here are embarrassing.

This place really is mental these days.

Rydo1888*, Ewang83, Mr Shelby and 4 others like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou insists he had no qualms about allowing star winger Liel Abada to miss the vital Europa League opener in Spain because the match coincides with one of the most important dates in the Jewish calendar.

The Celtic manager believes it is right the 19-year-old can observe Yom Kippur and the young Israeli will join a host of big names on the unavailable list as the Hoops try to secure a result against Real Betis in Seville

Abada will be joined on the sidelines by captain Callum McGregor, Kyogo Furuhashi, Georgios Giakoumaukis, James Forrest, Nir Bitton and Greg Taylor.

It makes the challenge for Postecoglou to try and become the first Celtic manager to win in Spain even more difficult, but the Aussie said he had no hesitation in giving Abada the night off.

Postecoglou said: “It’s a fairly significant. It’s his religion and rightly so. He’s not able to participate tomorrow night.

Yom Kippur is a fairly significant day in the holy calendar for them. It’s a day where you’re not allowed to participate in events, a day of reflection for them.

It’s not the first time it’s happened in my career, where a player’s religious beliefs have meant that football doesn’t take the priority we all think it should maybe sometimes in life. That’s the case for Liel tomorrow night and we’re very respectful of that.

As soon as the fixtures came out, we kind of knew.”

12. TimFloyd Gold Member

I really don't see what the issue with it is?

Its a big deal to them, * you can't even switch off light switches or wash your hands past your fingers or it's deemed breaking the fast lol

Its a bit mad but hey ho.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  13. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Perfectly put.... now they just look you up on Facebook or the likes

Marie likes this.
  14. celtic warrior

Some real backwater * who support this club.

Swear it feels like it's getting worse too

15. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Great post and needed to be said!

JamesM09 likes this.
  16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Mate, I’ve done it myself, back when I worked in social care (albeit only once; had worked the previous 3 years). I’m now a minister: this is kind of my area.

17. celtic warrior

Some * right howlers in here.

Surely some of it is treading a very fine line towards being anti semitic

martin_d likes this.
  18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them

Sorry mate, but that's complete nonsense.

No one has said anything even approaching antisemitic, nor would the mods allow it. As neither would fellow supporters and posters on here.

If you're of the opinion that differs from others that's fine. We all celebrate that fact. That's why we're here.

But put the antisemitic card back in the deck. It's not needed here on a football forum.

Dan Breen likes this.
  19. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Theres a really funny episode of Entourage were Ari Gold is running around LA in a kippah trying to get a deal done, and his wife and synagogue elders are going bucko at him. There's also this oul fella who sneaks into the dining room and starts stuffing his face before sundown :56:

Come to think of it I remember my oul one going nuts at me because I ate a slice of ham out if the fridge on Good Friday lol

20. celtic warrior

I mean people were talking a out docking wages simply because a Jewish person is observing his religious holiday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.