1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominic McKay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 29, 2021.

Discuss Dominic McKay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Big C

Personally I’m gutted he’s left. I thought this was the massive step to modernising us as a club. I’d accepted it would take a couple of years but if we were informed of what was happening, then I was happy to go with it.
    It seems like we have a potentially really good manager but he will be curtailed by the board….yet again.
    DD must have known the type of person McKay was before he employed him therefore, he must have known what he would try to do. If the board stopped him trying to progress the club, DD should have stepped in and fired those objecting to change. It really feels like a missed opportunity.

martin_d likes this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Exactly! We are basically back to the old family days but run as a PLC. I’m sure it’s all for the good of the football side of things.

martin_d, MagicBallBhoy and JC Anton like this.
  3. oh bhoy

what kind of massive balls up must mckay have made to put himself in a position to jump before he was pushed (if that is to be believed).not asking lawwell for help was pushed as part of this story i wonder what transfer/s caused the problem.
    did he forget to put a sell on fee in the edouard deal or something.personally i think the mc carthy 4 year deal is insane but the number of 20 somethings we have signed seemed like a real departure from the projects which was a welcome surprise .i aint satisfied with that window but i dont think it was a complete disaster enough to force mckay out.
    gordon strachan as a consultant instead of a proper d.o.f. may have been the straw that broke the camel's back after mckay publicly saying he wasnt getting a job.its hard to know if dom was clueless or the board dont want change but its maybe both and the truth is somewhere inbetween

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  4. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Now we may have an inclination as to why so many ex players are willing to put the boot into Celtic.

The club treats everyone including staff to supporters like *.

And still the season books get sold... what's not to like !

5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I would love to know what it would actually take for the support as a whole to do something about the situation. It's blatantly obvious that the board are not operating in the best interests of the club and it needs to be rectified.

Will it happen though? Absolutely not. It's a * disgrace to be honest.

Twisty, cidermaster, Artorias and 2 others like this.
  6. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    What about a mass walk out during a game seem this done in England a few times. Might at least let the powers upstairs start taking notice.

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Won't do * all mate.
    The board know exactly how the fans feel. They aren't mugs.
    But they know enough of the fans are still mugs and are buying season tickets and shirts without a second thought.

Funny how season ticket money 3 kits launched and the Europa tickets sold out...then they push Dom out.

They've got what they want from the fans for another year.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Artorias, Noskeil, murphy88 and 3 others like this.
  8. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Exactly this.

It´s not rocket science. The fact that season ticket sales are through the roof is the board´s evidence that their operation is accepted. That approach is cynical in the extreme, but it is what it is.

The club is on a sound footing financially. We´re in the Europa League. Will most likely push for the league title.

My take is that the shadows of Lawwell and Strachan still looms large over the club. Sooner or later, the club MUST move on. The present set-up badly needs modernizing (i.e. new chief executive, the Director of Football with full control over footballing matters). Will it happen in the short- to midterm? I´m sceptical.

Peej likes this.
  9. Bratfurdbhoy1

Hey guys been a few years since I was last on here. Anyway not sure what to make of the MCKay situ. Maybe he had to pass a 3 month probation . Just felt weird appointing an egg ball man to start with.

packybhoy and Rendog like this.
  10. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Welcome back mate, stick around. Quite a few were asking after you. Jail??

packybhoy likes this.
  11. Belgian_lad

The bench on Saturday showed the true form of Mckay's transfer period. We sold three attacking players on deadline day. Since then our main striker is injured his backup signing was dragged for almost a week(reports of a deal agreed were already on Thursday before deadline day, why wait? The lad could have been training and be with the team earlier) just so we fans are pacified on the inevitable selling of some players come deadline day. We are forced to play with a striker who doesnt suit our system, whilst one is still weeks from being matchfit and the other injured for weeks. We could have signed Henry for that bit more who scored in Italy and assisted in his first full game, but after the initial contact no more contact was made by us to Leuven. Our situation on the winger positions isnt better, MJ and JF are so injury prone we cant rely on them. Another key position is signing Starfelt for that money, whilst we had the choice of Vuskovic who now plays for HSV and was cheaper then Starfelt, but seems a big talent. Ofcourse the judge is still out on Starfelt, but he hasnt shown much to be confident about. Clearly that goes on Mckay. Cause it can be done in one window, Antwerp in Belgium signed and sold almost 35 players this window on a similar budget to ours.

BUt he isnt the only person to blame though, if you dont get the backing, what can you do? We came from a position of total control in sporting and financial ways to being second best, whoever wins the league this season has a lottery jackpot . How can we still be lacking in so many key positions within the club midway through september?

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Personally iv been impressed with each and every signing we have made. Strikers are a hard thing to get right aswel, an actual top class one can set you back £70m these days and personally kyogo is everybit as good as them.
    One "miss" out of all those signings would be a massive success imo.

The strikers that don't fit out system will be the ones thatll make the difference in Europe.

Time will tell but we have the bare bone foundations of a really good team now.

johnboy19 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  13. Belgian_lad

I am usually more confidant, maybe it is last year that makes me feel like that. I thought we did a good job, but history showed it was anything but good lol.

Impressive signings: Kyogo and Abada
    Good signings: Hart, Juranovic
    Jury still out: Starfelt, Jota, Giakoumakis(the chance of being a one season wonder, and i follow Dutch football since many years and seen enough of their top scorers fail somewhere else), Scales, McCarthy(cause his injury record, normally id say brillant signing to him).

We lost: Ajer, Eddy, Ntcham, Brown, Griffiths, Christie, Mo El. Some I am happy to see go, but overall I dont feel we replaced the quality we lost. Which is ofcourse never easy and we need to be given time. However the board doesnt even provide a professional setup for the team to operate in.

14. Foley1888

A lot of good points, but I think the fundamental one is in the last paragraph, how can our club actually operate properly with the amount of gaps in our staff that we have?

We have no Head of Football Operations or DoF type which Hammond was doing before he got sacked; we have no chief scout as we punted Penrice; we had a new CEO who hadn’t worked in football before, a thread bare inexperienced coaching staff to support a new manager who arrived late.

You can now see the true damage the Lawwell, I will just do it with no expertise for the job has done to Celtic. We have got rid of or lost so many people at the club and just not replaced them. Even now Nicholson steps up to acting CEO, whose doing his old role?

The footballing director should have been appointed back in March 21 at the latest, they done their so called “review” last winter and that should have been the outcome, they even sounded out candidates and hired a recruitment company.

If they had brought that person in and then allowed them to appoint a chief scout and sort out the recruitment side of the house, we could have dealt with the Eddie Howe fiasco and still made a decent fist of supporting Ange properly, even scouted players he may have been interested in as a plan B.

See the stuff about not targeting the J league until January from Ange, where there is an element of truth in that I suspect it was more driven by he would have wanted the time to properly consider who could make an impact.

Even now we still have no head of sport science since Naylor left for Leipzig in the summer. If we are successful this season it will be totally down to Ange and the players as they are operating with hands tied behind their back.

The Antwerp example is an interesting one, I saw they did a lot of business and don’t know much about them but I would guess they didn’t work the full window without a compliment of recruitment staff or any sporting director.

The one thing that was said was it was Ange that wanted a more experienced CB than Vuskovic hence the move for Starfelt. Not sure if Starfelt was one he scouted, probably not, more likely one of a list where he thought he could work.

HenriksRightBoot and Belgian_lad like this.
  15. Belgian_lad

The funny bit about Antwerp is, they too had to replace their main tranfer guy midway in the preparation to the new season, strong man d’Onofrio was replaced somewhere mid may.

What i dont understand about Starfelt is though, he clearly isnt the type of defender that is comfortable with playing ball. So was there any scouting done at all? Cause we clearly need strong ball playing defenders and till now i just dont see that to be his strong point.

About us as an organisation, you are totally right with your points! Do we even have an organisation charts, where all the key positions are highlighted and in our case left blank.in 2021 working without head of sportscience is not only neglect, its threatening peoples sporting career. Who checks bloods levels on fatigue, malnourishment etc? Decent approach to injuries and treatments? I myself am an heart patient, but i am under supervision of a good doctor and can sport pretty heavily because of that. Thanks to the follow up and guidance. I see the improvement i make, how can a professional club not see the importance of finding a replacement asap? It always amazes me how much money is in football and how much on * level a lot of clubs are run… @Foley1888

16. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The couldn't give a * at that point, the tickets are already sold and the moneys already in the bank.

Unless it's hitting them financially THEY DONT CARE.

Peej, Twisty, murphy88 and 2 others like this.
  17. JamesM09

A mass walk out is an excellent idea at the moment because it's a clear indicator that the support is united and prepared to miss Celtic playing to sort out the serious problems at our club.

It's a clear threat: Get to * or we will not be here next season.

I think these types of actions are necessary otherwise we will continue to be Desmond's wee toy.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  18. scootz

Surely this warrants a Sonic Attack!?

19. JamesM09

Sonic Attack is your answer to everything.

It only works in knockout European games! Okay? You got that?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  20. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The issue is if your not someone else will, gave up my ST this season, seat was taken within 3 days. That's what your up against, too many unwilling to give up their seat, so take the corporate * * every season without fail. (I don't blame fans for not wanting to give up their seat, but you can't complain if your willing to feed the machine, that constantly takes)

Peej likes this.