1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

I watched the game same as i do with most Ireland games, but * me that was tragic. Luxembourg at home and then Azerbaijan at home has just made a mockery of our team. Stephen kenny should never be in charge for another game. Sure we don’t have the players of old, but we definitely have the players there to beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan.

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Totally agree with you. The simple fact is over the last decade or so the fruits of the FAI for decades refusing to put in place proper pathways within Ireland for us to maximise the most talented youngest's abilities and bring them through so they can succeed when they do go abroad is coming home to roost now. Plus of course the fact that since the turn of the century with the ever increasing money and worldwide reach of the biggest academies in England meaning Irish players no longer get signed there the fact that we are not doing our job when the players are coming through in Ireland leaves us with lower level players. The level of the Irish squad has gradually fallen as the older players retired and the level of talent coming through due to the lack of proper structure in Ireland and lack of success at top epl academies has meant year by year the new players are at a lower level then before. Thus we are now left with the Ireland squad we have which talent wise is the worst since the early 70's.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Every Ireland game is a barny on my timeline these days :giggle1:

Don’t know the ins and outs of what’s gone wrong and how long it’ll take etc. But the arrogance from the people who support Kenny to anyone who criticises him is bizarre.

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Need Trappatoni back

He is the main man, Ireland’s greatest Italian

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No thanks. Stayed too long after he had done a good job the first few years. But time to move on from that out dated football approach for our long term prospects.

6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just to be clear I am not a big fan of Kenny as Ireland boss. He has done nothing at the top level to suggest he could be a success with a good Ireland team never mind one that is in fact the worst we have had from a talent perspective in 50 years. Having said that the idea that getting rid of him now will solve our ills is delusional. Nobody is on the horizon as manager to get us back to a top level just as the players are not there currently from a talent standpoint either. We need as a country to fix our own house internally in terms of our development pathway for our most talented youngsters and acknowledge we are a long way off being where we want to be and are realistically capable of being and I mean that we are years away IMHO at least a decade probably more.

Slaw likes this.
  7. oh bhoy

Goes to show how good a job Martin O'Neill was doing.it could be worse read somewhere Lennon is favourite to replace kenny

8. Celtic Bhoy 94

Get big Ange in about 10 years after he wins the champions league with celtic

9. ddub11

Media seem to be giving kenny an easy time as well,any other manager with that record would be getting slaughtered by the media but for some reason they seem to be going easy on him.

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I get that mate but I mean the arguments you see between the fans are bizarre. I don’t think people who want rid of him think it’ll answer everything.

It was more about the nutters who seem to think Kenny is some sort of managerial genius and that anyone who dare criticise him for losing to Luxembourg and drawing with Azerbaijan at home don’t have a scooby about fitba.

The people I’ve seen who want rid of Kenny actually seem to think that would only be the start of change and pretty much say what you say in regards to the changes needed long term.

eire4 likes this.
  11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Lennon being mentioned for the job now, haven’t the Irish fans suffered enough?

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Haha well for sure anybody who thinks Stephen Kenny is some kind of managerial genius is most definitely somewhere on the nutter scale thats for sure. As I said I am no fan of him as Ireland coach. My main arguments with people calling for his head has been fighting over who is Irelands head coach is treating the symptom so to speak and not the root causes of the disease to use a metaphor to describe Irish football and its current state. IMHO the most important issue in Irish football right now is creating the proper structures and development pathways within Ireland so that our best and most promising youngsters get the proper education in the game they need so that when they do move abroad at say 18-21 they can be successful and play at a top level. The fact is IMHO we have so neglected that aspect that we are a decade at least and probably more away from being able to play consistently and have a chance to be successful at the top level in international football. With success IMHO being measure by being able to qualify for a major finals and get out of a group at that level.

13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    It’s mostly off the back of Paddy Power making him favourite. I doubt if there is any real substance to this story.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That and him being in Dublin last weekend, 2 + 2 = 5 lazy journalism.

Gabriel likes this.
  15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In fairness to Stephen Kenny I think he is probably the right man in the wrong position. He really should never have been put in charge of the senior national team. But he does believe in IMHO in moving Ireland towards a more progressive modern possession based style of play which I firmly believe we as a country need to do. We should be pushing to start a national academy for say our top 40 odd 13-17 year old players to play and train in in a proper professional environment as one of the key planks of turning around Irish football from the ground up. He I think would be great to head that up and be the Ireland U17 national team head coach as part of that role. Just should never have been made the Ireland senior manager.

16. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Haven’t seen much of Ireland in recent years but looking at previous results on FlashScores the only competitive wins I can see are against minnows like Georgia and Gibraltar. Is it just a bad batch of players the now or the manager?

Seen the lad at St Mirren was playing tonight, hows he getting on?

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It is for the most part the lack of quality in our squad. I would say the current Ireland squad is the worst Ireland has had in about 50 years since the early 70's. Yes the lad Jamie McGrath started last night and against Portugal and overall did fairly well in the 2 games and obviously playing against genuinely top level opposition. Nothing stand out but very decent performances especially as they were just his second and third caps.

Luis1967 likes this.
  18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    So there is a worse goalie than Barkas:56:

20. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

I watched the Scotland game as we're already out but * me we actually won:56: