1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ak1

Agreed

2. celtic warrior

His technical ability is limited and as fantastic as he has been lately, it's still evident when you see him receive thr ball or try and play quick passes or try and feed something through and play an attacking pass.

I don't see that improving and if we want a balance for our attack going forward on both flanks we need better, need a out and out LW and by early looks of things, a left footed Josip

Breathnach67 likes this.
  3. KG-Henrik

Everyone does. I don’t think I’m being that critical, the praise has just been a bit over the top for me.

I want better, and a player capable of playing in Europe/higher level.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  4. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

He has looked good in Europe this season.

5. AussieGreek

And how do you know he is not capable of playing in Europe/higher level? Every test thrown at him this season he has passed, and much more so then the majority of the squad.

I acknowledge I never followed Celtic before Ange, but it has been horrendous listening and reading comments about Ralston because since I've been watching him he's been solid. Then I did some background reading on him, and saw he's only played a handful of games for Celtic, mostly as a teenager! So I really don't get this perception everyone has attached to him of not being up to standard, because he's certainly shown he is.

I'm not saying there isn't better, of course there is, but he is nowhere near as bad as people are making him out.

6. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Saw the Ralston thread getting bumped and I thought that was him off to Barcelona for a medical

7. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

They can’t afford him as they are in the financial *. That’s why Messi has had to go I believe. Go on bite.

AussieGreek likes this.
  8. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    He's my favourite player at the moment and I hope he becomes a regular and keeps up the performances. It's refreshing to see a guy work as hard as Scott Brown or Kieran Tierney and we should all hope it continues.

9. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Surely he has to get called up for Scotland now that O’Donnell and Patterson are both out?

(Disgrace that he wasn’t ahead of them to begin with, mind.)

FairDinkumMate and AussieGreek like this.
  10. Cringer67

If we had signed him from any team for £6m , and he had performed as he has this season, we would be saying an absolute steal. The boy deserves so much credit.

Spring Time likes this.
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We really need to be opening contract discussions with him soon, even if he loses his spot as first choice he's good enough for back-up at worse, would be giving him a 2-3 year deal.

AussieGreek and Wee Baldy like this.
  12. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    We're light in midfield especially the defensive role. With juranovic the number 1 right back do people think Ralston could play the DM role.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Nah, don't think so, although his passing quality has surprised me..

muaythai postie likes this.
  14. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    I don't think he deserves to lose his place in the team but juranovic was bought to play right back. There's a DM role available in our team and I don't think soro is the answer and obviously McCarthy is out. It also would help get McGregor further forward.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't think McCarthy is out for long, for me it will be McCarthy and McGregor with Turnbull/Rogic ahead of them..

Ralston at DM is an interesting suggestion tho.. But don't think he's technically good enough and don't think we'll ever see him there.. But aye interesting..

muaythai postie likes this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Nah he'd killed us in there.

I actually have slight concerns over McCarthy in there, when it comes to playing out from the back. McGregor is perfect in that sense because of how composed and tidy he is on the ball. Ralston lacks in that part of the game. He'd give the ball away in dangerous positions too often.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I wouldn’t drop him from right back. If we had signed Juranovic last month and he had played as well as Ralston has this season, we would be saying we had sorted the right back issue.

Would play Juranovic ahead of Taylor at left back just now. Not ideal, but he’s not started the season particularly well.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

McCarthy is excellent on the ball, no?

Lack of pace is a worry.

19. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Get tae on the suggestions of putting him in DM, let the boy play his position don't * about with it, aye Juranovic has been signed now, good there's competition there but we've already seen that Juranovic could be played on the left so that may happen a fair bit or there will be rotation.

I'm as surprised and happy as everyone else about ralstons performances since the season started and I hope he keeps it up it'll be massive if he does and I think we should extend his contract now as it was a 1 year to cover anyway now needs a proper one, I'd get him a 3/4 on current form. Don't mess him about bumping positions, then you get the "square peg round hole" * that everyone hates and has not been effective for us.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I'm sure he's good on the ball aye, just don't know how good. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he's as comfortable and safe on the ball as McGregor.

JC Anton likes this.