1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

New Signings: Rate their potential.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Sep 1, 2021.

Discuss New Signings: Rate their potential. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the new signings.

Specifically how much potential they have to make an impact in the next two years or so. Not necessarily how good they are, but how good a job they can actually do for us. How well they'll fit in with the system, the club, how much they might feature etc.

Filipe Jota: 8/10. Honestly think there's massive potential for this kid to be a real star for us. Highly regarded in youth circles, but there appears to question marks over his ability to adapt to senior football. Imo sometimes players just need the right club to make that step up. For instance, I think if Paddy Roberts had of stayed here he would have moved on for very good fee by now. Moving on disrupted his mojo. C'est la vie.

James McCarthy: 5/10. Can't see him really making the impact he himself would like. At 30 years old it's arguable his peak days are right now, given his position. But I just can't see him making it in Ange's system. Will be a decent spl battler though, if he stays fit that is.

Liam Scales: 5/10. Highly rated and highly sought after, Scales is a bit of mystery. He previously knocked back moves to England in order to continue playing first team football to cultivate the right move, so it's clear he hasn't come here to sit in his *. Whether he gets his wish is another matter altogether. Could go either way imo. We've either got a first team defender on our hands or a new and improved bench warmer for the next year or two.

Osaze Urhoghide: 3/10. Beast unit. But raw as *. Can't see him featuring steadily unless we get hit with a big injury crisis at the back. Oh...wait...

Liam Shaw: 3/10. Same as above. Young and highly rated, but still a big reach to see him making an impact this year, or maybe next year too for that matter. I am excited about him though. Very well thought of.

Joe Hart: 9/10. Despite the doubters and a few early brain farts, the highly experienced keeper had done something that very few keepers in the past decade have been able to do... Make the spot HIS. There's zero doubt that he's a considerable upgrade on Bain, and we won't even mention a comparison with Barkas. He's our no 1 for the foreseeable.

Georgios Giakoumskis: 2/10. Sorry. I just don't see it. All the noise about him being the top scorer in Dutch top flight last season seems like filler to me. His goal rate is impressive on face value, but how many of them were penalties and how many came in just a handful of games? Was it like 11;goals in wongames and 10 penalities or something? In fact, over the whole season he only managed a single goal against teams at the top of the table. One goal against Ajax. Before last season he was pretty much a non entity, and one swallow doesn't make a summer, or in his case, one good season doesn't make a stunner. Fully expect him to be warming the bench for the majority of his stay here, and a new striker brought in after Christmas.

Kyogo Furuhashi: 10/10. Nothing to consider. The wee man has almost singlehandedly transformed how we look and play as a team. I remember a certain Swedish striker doing something similar right after he signed. He's gonna be massive player for us this year, and could be the difference in a title or second place.

Carl Starfelt: 4/10. Will feature until big Chris returns and will be a supporting act thereafter. His early form has been patchy, and at times, a little haphazard. Seems to be improving little by little each game, and does seem solid in the air, but can't see him being relied upon. He just doesn't look comfortable with the ball at all.

Cameron Carter Vickers: 8/10. I think him and Julien will be the settled CB's. He's no VVD, Christ he isn't even an Ajer, but he appears to be solid enough, comfortable on the ball, young enough to develop but experienced enough to make the position his own. I'm actually quite happy with this one.

Josip Juranovic: 5/10. If you had have asked me weeks ago I'd have given him a much higher rating. But Ralston has been completely transformed under Ange and looks like he's ready to run through a brick wall covered in bees just to keep his place. But I don't see Ange letting Juranovic warm the bench. Oddly, I can see the two players being rotated at RB, on a needs must and opposition based basis. I hope that anyway.

Liel Abada: 9/10. What a steal. I was a little bit annoyed (ok, well * off) with his showing against the mutants, but that doesn't negate the absolute bags of potential this kid has. Fast, tricky, hungry and great technique, this kids a keeper. By Christmas he's gonna be like Toledo in CM 03/04; bought for a snip, blows everyone away.

Thoughts?

Belgian_lad and Peej like this.
  2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Buzzing for Jota, still can’t believe we’ve signed him even if its loan to buy.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They are all 10/10.

Look at Ralston. If they buy into the system and they work hard they can be as good as they want to be.

Im definitely not putting any * down with a 2/10. Mental from your own fans.

4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    They all get a 0/10 from me.

If they win the league this year they'll go up to 1/10, and so on.

Slaw and MacEwan like this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Technically they all have potential which is high, in terms of being able to perform for us.

I disagree with Giakoumakis being as low. Aye, I share your concerns over his previous goal record but he may just have found his feet as a goalscorer and is coming here as top goalscorer in the Eredivisie, no matter how you break it down. Good strikers still score penalties, I never understand why folk want to detract that when over the years we have had so many * pen takers.

Juranovic 5 out of 10 I think is low too. This is a guy with 10 caps for Croatia and in the prime of his career. He will come into the team soon, I hope. Delivery is miles ahead of Ralston's from what I have seen.

Mccarthy I also disagree on. He's 30. Davis is running their midfield still at 37. We need to get him fit though as we desperately need someone like him in there, dont care what anyone says. Midfield needs to be strengthened in January.

Jota I am excited about but his shooting/end product looks like it needs a * of a lot of work.

charlietully and LectersLuncheon like this.
  6. AussieGreek

The state of this forum.

2/10 for Giakoumakis because of a 10 second peep on Wikipedia, lol.

Did anyone even bother to check that half of his appearances in Greece were coming off the bench unlike his time at VVV-Venlo where he was Starting XI?

Nah, let's not take things like that and many other things into consideration.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s a * mental place.

AussieGreek likes this.
  8. saltire78

As far as I know Scales would have been long gone to England by now, but stayed where he was so he could finish college. Trying to assess him on anything other than what he does going forward is moot. Personally, I think he'll do well for us, possibly even a new Ajer type development in a year or two...

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  9. oh bhoy

i guess they all have the potential to be brilliant or atrocious ,in terms of gut feeling alone i think scales will be good maybe thats because hes up against greg taylor or hes irish i dont know

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

They’ll either be called * diddy’s or the next best thing after 1 game.

Xatraps, LectersLuncheon and Sentinel like this.
  11. AussieGreek

one game? You’re being generous.

Kyogo already got called a dud by some based off his 15 minutes against Hearts after he met (with limited English) the manager and team for the first time 3 hours earlier.

CookieMonster, rickyroma25 and Slaw like this.
  12. Sentinel

You mean 15 minutes..

I myself am guilty of that. I am trying to be better. As long as the players are giving their all, that's what matters.

We've shifted bad eggs from the dressing room. That alone is fantastic.

In regards to the potential, of all the players we've signed it's got to be Kyogo.

13. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I don't like to judge the ones I've not seen in a Celtic strip yet. I do think Starfelt can improve and has to keep calm. Kyogo looks class and will do well for us. The two boys from Sheffield Wednesday look ok but it's telling they haven't featured much since pre-season. Juranovic looks the part considering he played out of position in the derby he looked decent. Abada looks decent although he wasn't at his best against Sevco. Joe Hart looks like an improvement without being amazing.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not going to go through and rate them individually. I think the majority of them, on the face of it, look like good singings. A few like Kyogo, Abada and Juranovic look like fantastic buys.

If we're only looking at first team signings then the only ones I'll need convinced by are Starfelt and Giakoumakis. The former has been a disappointment so far and the latter, I just have no idea what to expect from him.

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

@AussieGreek stop getting your knickers in a twist man the guy is just making his prediction on now he thinks they will do he’s not condemning them to failure

* it why not.

Jota 8/10
    A bag of tricks and Celtic seems like the perfect place for him to strut his stuff. Extremely highly rated for years and the LW spot is his to lose. Show us what ya got wee man.

McCarthy 6/10
    I struggle with this one. I think he could be a beast for us but I can’t deny there’s a chance he will never make an impact here. I think he will probably play 20-25 games for us this season and put in some quality performances along the way.

Scales 3/10
    I just don’t get the feeling he will make the step up. I’m actually excited to see what he’s got to offer and his height is certainly a bonus. Would be great if he makes LB his own as we need to improve at set pieces as we all know. As I say, not condemning him to failure, I just don’t think he will succeed here.

Urhoghide 2/10
    A donkey on the ball by all accounts and I don’t really see that as fixable at this stage. Absolute unit of a guy and comes highly rated through youth teams etc but it can be easy to stand out when you’re that much of a physical presence in youth set-ups. Hope we see some of him soon.

Shaw 7/10
    Probably not this season but I reckon this guy will break through and leave his mark. Funnily enough this is based solely on reading people’s comments on him during pre season as I didn’t see him play at all myself.

Hart 8/10
    A match made in heaven. He’s going to have a few mistakes in him hence no 9 or 10 rating but he’s exactly what we needed and has already made plenty of big saves.

Giakoumakis 9/10
    The Greek Sensation. Really like the look of this fella based on nothing other than YouTube highlights. Last season seems like the only time in his career he was given a proper run of games and boy did he take advantage. Won’t be easy for him to earn a starting berth here but I see him making a lasting impact. Gives us so many more options in terms of playing two up top or changing style of play.

Kyogo 10/10
    What a player. Keep him through the middle Ange.

Starfelt 3/10
    Not the worst defender we’ve ever signed but his body language scares the * out of me and I’ve not been one bit impressed with him. Bullied in the air constantly at home to AZ and * the ball away a few times against the huns. Absolutely delighted we signed Carter-Vickers.

Carter-Vickers 8/10
    A brick shithouse who by all accounts is good in the tackle and is composed and able to pick a pass. He’s an international to boot and knows our keeper well I assume. I think he’s going to be class for us. Straight into the team for me alongside Welsh.

Juranovic 9/10
    Thought he looked a proper footballer at Ibrox and I heard he played class against Scotland in the Summer. Ralston won’t be easy to oust and they will share the duties for a while but I can’t see Tony keeping him out of the team. Absolutely delighted to have a back-up as good as Tony though.

Abada 9/10
    Has gone missing once or twice but overall he has been absolutely class and you can’t expect a winger to show up every game. They’re going to have hot and cold spells and it’s been a scorcher for Liel so far. 19 and a 5 year deal? Love ya x

charlietully and LectersLuncheon like this.
  16. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    Too early to tell on all of them (including the ones that have been here a little while already). They’ve all got potential but let’s see how we’re doing come December before handing out ratings.

Need to use the next week and half to get everyone bedded in as much as possible and hopefully get McCarthy & Forrest back.

At least we’ve got a relatively straight forward home game after the break which could give the new guys a chance of a good start with us.

17. Roskopicachu

A very nice attempt to suggest we only signed development level players.
    Aye let's not bother rating potential based on just now, but maybe two years or so into the future.
    All are here for the right now. A low score might be a five or a six.
    If you rate them so low, might be better supporting a different team.

18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Good thread to go back and pull people up on their * predictions in 2 years time when the guys are proven superstars/flops :crazy3:

Slaw and AussieGreek like this.
  19. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I always put my hands up! LOL

I'm was wrong about Griff (kind of...ended up proving me right in the end)

And I was wrong about Gordon, well, for a season at least. *.

And Ralston has made all of us look stupid, in terms of most people didn't even think he was an adequate back up for RB.

There's nothing better than being proven wrong by a player in your teams strip. I'll be * delighted if the Greek bangs them in, although, that sweepy arm goal celebration has to go, * looks like he's spreading his fart about.

But this is just a bit if craic. I'm on 24 hour lockdown with a * up sleep pattern. Indulge me ffs.

@AussieGreek, chill out you ffs

JML67 and Slaw like this.
  20. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Pretty much agreee with all of this bar Starfelt. Actually think he is improving slowly but surely and is quite decent in the air. The rest I agree and high hopes for most...

Slaw likes this.