1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Georgios Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Aug 17, 2021.

Discuss Georgios Giakoumakis in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Uses his hands as much

The Phoenix likes this.
  2. DannyBhoy_1990

This will be an amazing bit of business if we get it over the line. Amazed, especially after seeing the quality of AZ Alkmaar, that there isn't more excitement about getting the top goal scorer from Eredivise into the team. Looks like a composed, natural finisher with a bit of pace and good in the air. Fully expect this boy to come in slot right into Angeball and score a barrel load of goals. :50:

Maestro 08, Slater67 and The Don like this.
  3. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Don’t know enough about him, but it signals a likelihood that Griffiths or edouard won’t be in the squad at end of window.

if edouard replacement, real concerns. Given the importance of the league win this season, better the devil you know.

If Griffiths away then this guy will bring more to the table even by being available.

I fear it’s the former - and edouard away, along with ajer, will be funding project restart and we are 1 injury away from CF options that are ropey (ajeti) or not at all like kyogo which completely throws chaos in to the mix.

Alternatively seems to be an “option b in case we need a different game plan” signing unless the plan is edouard goes and kyogo moves from a central position predominantly - which I disagree with conceptually.

4. Foley1888

The thing that gives me confidence is that it sounds like Ange has been heavily involved in this deal. So he must have seen something from watching highlights of him to say your the type of striker I want.

Also it was encouraging to hear how Onaiwu bigged up the role Ange had in him becoming a better striker at Yokohama. I know it doesn’t always work out this way but hopefully putting Giakoumakis in a team playing the way we are just now should mean goals.

He looks handy in the air and a composed finisher of either foot, pretty strong and lively in the box to get on the end of things which until Kyogo showed up we haven’t had for a while.

5. AussieGreek

I'm glad this is done. Great signing and bargain price. He's gonna score a lot.

Some media in Greece saying he turned down much higher wages in Qatar to come to Celtic, which probably explains why he was asking for a boost from Celtic in his wage packet.

6. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    qatar and a team in 2nd division German football doesn’t scream to me that decent level European clubs have seen much in him, even after an incredible (on paper) return last season.

To me, that’s a worry.

Glass half full though. If he joins, he gets the same from me as any player who joins the club - a blank canvas and my best hopes and wishes. I don’t know enough of him to be too critical - at all.

Is very strange though that his season didn’t garner more interest beyond 2 million

Belgian_lad likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Don't know anything about the player, but i trust Ange, if he wants him that's good enough for me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  9. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Saw that and thought “wow”

here’s hoping we have got a steal tbh.

To be fair, we have missed a dominant CF in the box for years, so for that alone good stuff.

As prof says - correctly - if an Ange signing and a target he is 100% behind then he has earned my trust in the signing if it happens. And I think we should all agree / be on board with that.

Videos can be deceiving though, and I still am baffled that no other * in a decent league fancied him for buttons in today’s money and given the season he had.

very strange

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    McChiellini.. and The Prof like this.
  10. G40B

There’s been a lot of cases of mediocre players dominating that league’s scoring chart over the years.

This guy has only had one prolific season, the rest have been beyond pathetic.

11. Sentinel

It is bizarre the top scorer in Eredevisie for a relegated team is getting so little traction..

Our board will definitely have him as our Edouard replacement the * * that they are.

Here's hoping he's good. * the board.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The Dutch punter on here earlier said he wanted him for AZ and he is a player..

His highlight reel is quite good. Surprised some think it's pish..

As mentioned, a different option and player's that can play the system. The Juranovic ball's in for the Greek will be a perfect fit..

Tommy25 and Hammy89 like this.
  13. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Alfonso Alves for example. Was rubbish at Middlesbrough but ripped it up in the Eredivisie

14. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    agreed dude - looks like an option b or (my fear) moving kyogo out wide where he is less effective

McChiellini.. likes this.
  15. DannyBhoy_1990

Yeah just checked Eredivise top goal scorers over the year and mediocre wasn't the first word that jumped to mind. Tadic, De Jong, Depay in recent years and going back to Suarez and even our man big Pierre back in the day. Streets ahead of Scottish football in terms of overall standard. The fact he's looking like a late bloomer and still has plenty to prove is the only reason we are in with a chance of getting him. Fundamentally though he has more than enough pedigree to say this is a guy who will come in and do the business.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Play the first 60 minutes like prime Barca, sub Kyogo for the Greek and play like prime Stoke City with Abada and Juranovic crossing high balls in from everywhere.

Hammy89 and McChiellini.. like this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Hopefully the former..

Aye and we can't forget that he's done it with a relegated side. I'd love to know how many Eredivisie striker's have topped the scoring charts and got relegated in the same season..

18. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    I totally agree - the whole process from the start has had me thinking 50% hard on, 50% why on earth is he not going to bundesliga for 10-15 million.

Thsnkfully for every football team in the world I’m not a scout. But it just doesn’t add up - if he signs, the both of us are going to have a laugh on here one way or the other

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Belgian_lad

Of my head i can think of two: him and a Belgian who played for Nec back then Vleminkx. But in the past 10 years there were more one hit wonders: Dessers, v Janssens, Jahanbaksh, finbogason…

thats not too say Giakoumakis will be one. His season was tremendous. He reminds me of His country man Theofanis Gekas when he was with Bochum and was topscorer in 2006/7, same type. So if his career goes on like Gekas his career did, we should be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.