1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

Starfelt never played against Midjtylland are you meaning Jablonec? It was Barkas, Bitton, Taylor, Edouard (first game) and Forrest second missing sitters that done us there.

I completely agree he has had far too many mistakes but solely on last nights game, the own goal was a shambles but his second half performance wasn’t * by any means.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  2. Maestro 08

Aye you're right. It was Jablonec. He was * in that game as well

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Welsh and Starfelt don't look like a comfortable partnership as of yet.. Maybe they never will..

Hart too isn't that comfortable with ball at feet, even when Jullien is back he too has slack passes in him.

When teams press us the way AZ did last night we will definitely concede and lose games but it looks like we will also have some magic as sometimes we will pass all the way from back into the net.

Welsh is still learning though and it will be interesting to see what type of player Ange makes him.

Ball playing CBs, who are excellent at defending are quite rare.

4. Maestro 08

I think the type of CB that we specifically require are very hard to come by. We have so much possession domestically they need to be very good on the ball and then in Europe you need them to be solid defenders. You will pay multiple millions just to get anyone near that level nowadays. Starfelt at 4m and he's not even close to what we need. Duffy an established international and EPL player struggled badly. You prob have to go back to VVD and Denayer to when we last had it.

Its no surprise to me that Welsh is far more comfortable doing the ball carrying and distribution considering he's been used to this scenario in our youth set up. I see similar qualities in Murray and Hjelde. It might be that this is the route we have to keep going down in order to get the type of CB we need because I don't think those types are available to us on the market any more.

FranceCelt and JC Anton like this.
  5. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Could he have done better on the 1st goal,? Aye, would have been smarter to head it back up the park, was his error what caused the goal no, it went back to keeper with plenty time, the goals fault is on Hart, he should have been going to it and hitting it not waiting for it. Welsh's game otherwise was a solid enough game, he is a good player.

stew37 likes this.
  6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    100% correct.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    2nd half he was an incredible sitter away from * the bed again. He let them in, was just fortunate the young guy skied it from a yard out

8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * gibberish

9. scootz

Aye - fair do’s.

Was watching on my phone last night and thought he’d chested the ball on towards Hart - I’ve seen it again a short while ago on a big screen and now know that it took a (relatively lucky) bounce off his shoulder.

:50:

Callum McGregor and Double Dutch like this.
  10. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What do they always say? DON'T let the ball bounce. Should have been nowhere near Hart to begin with.

I love the wee * though so he gets a pass. This time.

scootz likes this.
  11. Foley1888

I might be wrong but was that not Montgomery who was marking Doku for that chance?

12. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
  13. stew37

It was Hart's fault, Welsh did enough in difficult circumstances to allow Hart just to do the simple thing and blooter it, danger gone, but he hesitated and then absolutely * it. Overall Hart and Welsh have both done very well so far this season, so mistakes can be forgiven as long as they're not continually repeated.

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Totally,

15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Thought it was harsh as * dropping him for CCV, unless it was for a rest.

He is much better than Starfelt and I'd love to see CCV and Welsh partnership.

16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was just about to search for this thread to say similar. Extremely harsh if he's been dropped, I'd go as far to say that if I was him I'd be battering the door down for a move ASAP if he's goanny be backup only. Poor from big Ange.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agree.

18. Maestro 08

Hope AP isn't forcing Starfelt in bcos he's a big signing. Welsh is miles better imo. Really disappointed he dropped him.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Second time he’s been unfairly dropped, honestly if this keeps up, and it’s very, very early doors… think we’d be in danger of losing him.

Juliens back soon, Carter-Vickers looks good, Ange wants Starfelt to be a player. Think he’ll end up being marginalised and honestly, he doesn’t deserve that based on performances alone.

Double Dutch likes this.
  20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    People have been going on about properly utilizing the squad to avoid injuries, and that's what happened yesterday imo.

Welsh has just came back from games on international duty, plus he's played a lot since the start of the season, at home to Ross County is where we should be making changes.

I think he'll be back in the team against Livingston, Ralston too.