1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

AZ (2) v Celtic (1)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JML67, Aug 21, 2021.

Discuss AZ (2) v Celtic (1) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. James Gold Member Gold Member

BTW who the * started calling them Ahh Zed when did that become a thing. I've just got over Ajax becoming Aye Axe now this :nonono:

seanm and Forestbhoy66 like this.
  2. Scubaroo

I haven't watched the full game yet, just highlights.
    shocking goals to give up, at the same time they were our goals we gave up so they are things we can fix easily.

AussieGreek likes this.
  3. MAP

I thought you might have taken at least a few more minutes to bask in the glow of progression before we all inevitably pick over the bones of the game.

As to Kyogo, I have absolutely no doubt the board are imagining the $$ they can make in a couple of years time from selling him and the likes of Abada (I have to admit it's crossed my mind how much they might be worth with a couple of solid seasons behind them - might be an opening on the board for me!).

Sydneysider likes this.
  4. PiotreQ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
  5. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Stressful night. Tremendous outcome.

Didn't half make it hard for ourselves.

Although credit to AZ, they were more than prepared. Not encounter many teams in Scotland who will be willing to take the game and pressure us like they did tonight. By far the best opponent we have faced so far and arguably this season. Aside from maybe the one instance the whole game, which led to Kyogo's goal. They absolutely smothered us trying to play out, akin to what we have done to Hearts and Dundee in recent weeks. They constantly set traps and pounced on the slack passing. Forced the play central and forced the mistakes, and as result started their attacks from about 30 yards out from our goal. Played on our weaknesses and exploited them with great regularity. The inverted fullbacks in Taylor and Ralston looked even less comfortable than normal. Forced Starfelt and Welsh into passes which they couldn't play. And when they did try, they were positioned to either intercept or apply the pressure on the receiver. At one point, McGregor took the ball 10 yards outside the box and he had nowhere to turn.

When they did have possession, they also used our pressing against us in order to progress the play and create chances. For our part, I don't think we were good in our own press. We seemed just a bit hesitant at times, individuals reacting to a team-mate, as opposed to in unison. And AZ was using it to their advantage, in particular in the full-back areas. Most prominently through Karlsson down the right. As Ralston stepped on, his vacated space was immediately filled by an AZ jersey. As the rest of the Celtic back-lined shuffled over, the space was left for Sugawara on numerous occasions to attack the box. They also went back to the direct ball over the top and into Pavlidis, similar to earlier parts of the 1st leg. And finally, the deeper switch mainly from Koopmeiners, again a lot of the time aimed towards Ralston. Real variety in the play. Although the subbing on of the centre-half to play upfront with 20 mins to go, was a weird one.

Our game was really sloppy. Loose passes, poor decisions not only in defence but in and around the AZ area in attacks.It's hard to be critical, given the growth in this side from the start of the season. But at times, a few habits of old appeared in our play. It never really worked at all for Rogic and Turnbull in the middle, both these guys are at their best in the opposition half and a lot of the time they were a good 60 yards away from that area. Abada really struggled, despite his magnificent assist. Christie was so-so, with plenty of effort and running. But some poor choices in good attacking areas. McGregor was constantly closed down and didn't have many options or much time. Montgomery came on for Taylor and looked solid. Eddie came on and gave us some valuable rest, got us a bit of time on the ball(a couple of sloppy passes and one almost brilliant pass for Kyogo)

The goals that were lost were farcical.

Welsh should have done better, looked like he was trying to let the ball run out or run across his body. If it was the latter, then he wasn't aware of the eventual AZ goalscorers position. The ball hit his shoulder and rolled towards Hart. He compounded the situation with even more indecision and gave Aboukhal a tap in, which for some reason he chipped high but low enough to find the net. Starfelt, feeling left out. Joined in with an equally farcical OG. I am still not sure how it went in. Looked like a fresh air swipe and in off his standing leg. 3 really poor decisions and 2 goals conceded from nothing situations. Starfelt looks so uncomfortable under pressure and his passing is so loose, even in less pressurised situations. In the last 2 games, he and Welsh have swapped sides. Early days, but unconvincing. In fairness to all 3, they contributed towards seeing out the tie. Hart had a couple of good saves on either side of halftime. Starfelt and Welsh dug deep and defended the box well in the last 15 mins or so.

Those that pass as alleged Football Media on the BBC, claimed tonight was a "coming back to earth". I assume they've never watched AZ at all, or even last week. I may be wrong on this, but I have seen on here and with people I have spoken with, that we knew how difficult a tie this was. And so it proved.

Ultimately, we got through the tie and can look forward to tomorrow's draw. And a point for this board. This team needs more quality and depth to it. We cannot go through the full season, with this schedule and all the other goings-on, expecting Ange and the players to pull it out of the bag. You've had a couple of weeks patting yourself on the back for doing some transfers. Give the manager and the rest of the squad the help they need.

6. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Its not luck after winning first leg 2 -0

craigtheceltic and Sydneysider like this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

Wow.

I've just read through this whole thread with the luxury of already knowing the score. Can imagine how nerve wracking it must have been. Some of these posts are like reading something scratched with finger nails onto an asylum wall.

Love you guys!

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    An impressive thing about knocking them out is they are a decent team and they probably done a lot of preparation for us since they postponed a League game, might even have watched our weekend games and had plenty of knowledge on us and how we play especially for tonights game after having played us last week yet we still knocked them out.

We've not really got the luxury to get to into detail about our opponents since we're playing and travelling every few days.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  9. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    AZ are a good side we should appreciate that, a shaky first half with potential nerves and experience but we composed ourselves 2nd half and saw the game out against a good team.

I really liked the Japanese RB they have and that Carlson.

Sydneysider likes this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Koopmeiners will go on to play for a top side.

Classy player. They have pace and height up top, good full backs, just a well rounded side.

Good test for us. Thank * we got through it.

charlietully and Callum McGregor like this.
  11. Kiro Kompiro

I'll be Captain Obvious here, but these ties are played over two legs because there is such a thing as home ground advantage.

Celtic scored away when AZ couldn't and arguably could have been going in 3-0 in to this leg and the tie would have been done. AZ playing at home still couldn't score without the help of two team-spirit killing defensive errors.

So on the balance of the two legs, the result is a true account of the tie as a whole. Celtic deserved this.

People also saw this as one of two matches that will show where the team is at. Well we know know, (not that we didn't before: 1. Postecoglou will not deviate from his philosophy. 2. Better defenders are needed.

12. Couscous

It's great Celtic are through. But don't kid yourself. AZ winning would also have been a fair and deserved result.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Can’t get much more obvious than that.

seanm likes this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If they had scored enough goals aye. We did deserve to go through.

AussieGreek and Sydneysider like this.
  15. Kiro Kompiro

How so? AZ failed to score a single goal that wasn't catastrophic error gifted to them? Again Caotain obvious- the object of the game is to score more goals than the opposition.

We can play AZ "coulda, woulda, shoulda", and we could do that for Celtic after the first leg too.

Over the two legs Celtic were better.

The big Viduka and Sydneysider like this.
  16. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Still in the draw, can't complain.

Callum McGregor and Sydneysider like this.
  17. oh bhoy

on reflection but for the ridiculous goals we were the far better side over two games and they were strong opponents .games and victories over a team like that will stand us on much better stead as opposed to pumping some pub team

Marky1967 likes this.
  18. AussieGreek

they created only one clear cut chance yesterday that they should’ve scored and we gifted them two goals.

19. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Don’t think I’ve ever cheered so hard before for every off side, missed shot, tackle made, defensive header, refs whistle and generally anything that meant AZ didn’t score in that last 15.
    * I love Football.

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  20. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song

Brilliant post