1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

AZ (2) v Celtic (1)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JML67, Aug 21, 2021.

Discuss AZ (2) v Celtic (1) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Exactly how I see it being played out.

LectersLuncheon, vortex666 and JML67 like this.
  2. Dip 'n' Swerve

I hope we score first it will be a real marker for the game, if they score first it will be interesting to see how the team is in terms of being mentally strong.

This also goes for Sunday's game, if we keep tight on corners, don't make rash tackles in our own third (Ralston and starfelt) then hopefully we have enough to get the job done. I think 1-1 I would take but we will play positive and have a few chances to score - some lady luck fingers crossed. Havent seen much of how Ange sets up defending corners, does he like men on the post?

Big statement to get into the group stages, and with the developments this week we have a great chance to win on Sunday and bring in winter and a home fixture at the end of Dec. Be clinical on Thursday and take the first good chance a goal could sucker punch them - Aboukhlal us their danger man and Koopmeiners looked lively - I think Karlsson is back don't know much about him but he seems another threat.

We are riding on top of a wave at the minute, that reflects in the player's body language, they all want to be part of it, even Ajeti is smiling.

Massive 4 days coming up - get the job done into the group stages and a solid win on Sunday, we have nothing to fear!

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  3. Dip 'n' Swerve

that third goal we should have had last week could be vital - nonetheless play positive and take our chances

eire4 likes this.
  4. JamesM09

It's easy to say every game is massive at Celtic.

If we have to make a distinction, then I'll say this one is still a free hit.

It would be hard not to feel some disappointment given our 2-0 advantage and the way we played last week but really it would be a huge achievement to go through considering where we found ourselves a few short weeks ago and the problems we still have in the squad.

If it does go pear shaped on Thursday it's important not to let morale drop. We're heading in the right direction under Ange.

neilly1987, HTG, The Prof and 4 others like this.
  5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Totally get why people are nervous but I'm still looking forward to every game just now. So excited to see how the team improves under Ange and big tests like these next two games are what it's all about.

We rode our luck at times in the home game but it was still a very mature performance overall. Hart is massive addition to this side.

6. JamesM09

In terms of tactics I wouldn't sit deep and I wouldn't invite and pressure onto our team.

It's important to retain the ball as much as possible and string together passes. When Turnbull, Rogic or Christie spot an opportunity they will take it. We just need to keep the ball away from AZ as much as possible or we'll leak goals from the off.

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    We certainly did. There was one time they were breaking and there was an AZ player completely unmarked in the middle of our defence. If the guy with the ball played him through it would've been 1-on-1.

Having said that, we were the better side in the first leg and they rode their luck just as much as we did.

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    For sure that scramble late on when we could have got a third goal would have put the tie to bed I think. But in fairness they missed a couple of sitters too so 3-0 would have been harsh on them on the night. Not giving up an early goal is the first big key for me tomorrow if we are to progress. If we can at least be level mid way through the first half then I think we have a decent chance.

9. KevMan

Glad to hear Ange say our approach won’t change… can see us scoring, and hopefully that will prove too much for AZ.

10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Az are gonna throw the kitchen sink at us from the first whistle.

They simply have to.

Leaves them wide open for counter attacks but will also be a real test for this defence, which if we're honest, isn't even group stages Europa League level.

Can see this being a cricket score.

Let's just hope we have the edge after the 90.

11. Dip 'n' Swerve

I think with them 3 playing we don't know how to sit deep, the best form of defence is attack and defend from the striker. we will get chances just hope we are clinical and take them first one that comes along

SwissCelt, Mickmac and JamesM09 like this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This.

It would exceed my expectations if we qualify and knock this mob out which says everything about how much of a state Lennon left us in.

it is important no matter what happens by Monday of next week, that we continue to remain positive. No denying we are going in the right direction here and it will take time.

neilly1987 and JamesM09 like this.
  13. JamesM09

The Europa League Twitter had the Sparta Celtic Park goals against us from last season. It brought the memories rushing back. It’s night and day now, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

14. Paradise88

* up, Google

Attached Files:

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Period between games dragging in even though they’re in reality coming thick and fast - a complete change from the constant dread and apathy of last season.

Tomorrow night is intriguing, the psychology of the tie and the fact we won’t budge from our principles means it could be even more frantic than normal.

16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

we're the down underdogs :ange2:

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  17. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Said before this I was taking this as a bit of a free hit but now that we are 2-0 up at half time in the tie I’m desperate to get through. Not sure how its going to go it’s far from over but I think our attacking football will result in another 2 goals so that should be enough.

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Cant wait for this. How slows today going!!!

Dublin Celt and packybhoy like this.
  19. Mr Cleansheets

If we win tonight I'm having one of my testicles replaced with an Angeball.

Rydo1888*, neilly1987 and packybhoy like this.
  20. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    If we try to sit deep we'll just concede a couple of goals and are out of the EL :giggle1:

honda, The big Viduka and JamesM09 like this.