1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't even really think it's about planning in this case. With the benefit of hindsight last summer would have been the right time to sell him but as per Lennon's recent interviews we only actually received 1 bid for him and it was below our valuation.

We signed him on a 4 year deal, on the proviso that he'd likely be sold after 2 years at the club. It's a well-tread path with Dembele, Wanyama, Van Dijk etc. all doing similar before.

The problem being that a global pandemic hit just before the 2 year mark and strangled Football finances at many clubs.

He won't sign an extension, anyone still holding onto hope is kidding themselves on. It makes no financial or professional sense for him to do so. Let's say he's on £25k a week at the moment and we smashed our previous record and gave him £50k. Over the next year that's a difference of £1.3m which is about £650k after tax.

If he lets his contract run down he'll scoop many multiples of that on a signing-on fee (as a sweetener for them not paying for the transfer) and probably bag himself a healthy weekly wage too. He'll be able to do that all on his own terms too, no need for a club to meet our demands, no need to wait on other transfers further down the line to create liquidity in the market, just a straight up deal between 2 parties.

It's frustrating but we've just got to hope a bid comes in within the next week as who seriously trusts Eddie to knuckle down and be putting himself in harm's way if this title goes down to the wire? He'll have 1 eye on his next move and keeping himself injury free.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

As much as I don’t like it, if he is still here by the time his contract runs out, then technically both parties will have saw out what they originally agreed to when offered/signed the contract.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, had he given us 100% effort throughout his 4 years then no-one could grumble really. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes. We bagged Ledley from his boyhood club for heehaw when he refused to sign an extension for them. Swings and roundabouts.

The difference with Eddie is that he visibly downed tools last season and while he's looked better in pieces this season, we're still getting nowhere near what he's capable of. Just need to hold out hope someone stumps up the cash.

4. murphy88

If he doesn’t sign a new deal on 50k a week and breaks his leg halfway through the season, then he will not get a massive signing on fee and might struggle to match they wages. The contract is security for the player. Not for one second do I see us offering 50k a week though, so all this is purely hypothetical.

5. murphy88

It depends on what clause is in the contract in regards to PSG. If it’s a percentage of the fee then it might not be worthwhile us selling him. If it’s a percentage of profit then it’s a different story.

6. The Don

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    When you consider that he has been linked with better teams, I think he would be disappointed with Crystal Palace. Also they are a fairly defensive side and may struggle to create enough for Edouard to really stand out to a bigger club. I would be shocked if he left before the end of his contract as better teams will likely take a punt on him on a free and himself and his agent will get a nice signing fee.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, it's a calculated risk. But if it gets to April next season, we're neck and neck and he's asked to put himself in the way of rough treatment then you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be pulling out of challenges.

The Phoenix and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  8. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I’m thinking he will stay now and leave for free next summer to a lower end PL club. Probably have a similar season to last year with being very frustrating but chipping in with a few goals.

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Has he ever put in challenges even when he was flying? Its not part of his game in fairness...

I reckon he stays for the season, seems to be enjoying his football under Ange and walk for free to a club of his choice..

Signed a contract and will see it out and hopefully scores some goals this season on the way to the title..

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, he's never really done the chasing down but with Kyogo playing up there you see the difference that the high press gives us in winning back possession & hurting teams.

The more we win it up there the less we'll be caught out on the counter with teams going man for man against our CBs.

If Eddie doesn't want to press with intensity then teams will get out and at us. It really is a non-negotiable in Ange's system. I'm sure Ange will keep him off the pitch if that's his attitude though.

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Am sure l’equipe editor said it’s on profit over £9m

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    He’s a completely different player to Kyogo - apples and oranges.

Edouard still has so much that he brings to the table - a different skill set to Kyogo by all accounts.

Even Kyogo presses and runs more than Henke you know..

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Henrik pressed loads and was forever forcing mistakes. Anticipated loads as well with his pressing..

The Phoenix and Born green like this.
  14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Not meaning Henke was a slouch by any means.

But my honest take on it is that I’ve never seen a striker press as much as Kyogo in my puff..

It’s unbelievable how fit he is really

bagforlife, Hammy89 and McChiellini.. like this.
  15. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Again, why would he leave at the end of this season knowing fine well if we win the title we are in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. Unless he was going to a CL club but I heavily doubt that, unless he played a blinder of a season this year.

16. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Eddie is putting a bit more effort in since the start of the season but he doesn't suit how Ange wants to play. Eddie is still playing his own game were he just shuts down the angle for the opposing player rather than playing the high press that Ange wants. If we're backing Ange, we need to get Eddie sold & get another striker that can do the same as Kyogo but is a bit more physical.

We can already see the type Ange wants with the Greek & Henry being linked.

17. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    One of the worst celtic teams ever last season and apparently giving half arsed performances, still managed 22 goals.

He'd be a massive miss and personally I'd rather he stay and leave on a free as he'll undoubtedly play a huge part in going for the title. Ange will get the best out of him

18. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Needs to stay, two year contract, win the title, enjoy the CL next year, go in shop window, leave to a better club!

Strikers of his calibre cannot be easily replaced, I will make Kyogo the exception to the rule.

19. Foley1888

20. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

We really need him to either sign a new deal or be sold don't want to miss out on 15+ million