1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I don't think there's any chance he signs a new deal to be honest. If an offer comes or there's interest from down south he will be away. The money he will get alone dwarfs anything he gets here. And as much as it pains me it's a far better league to develop in.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Ange is doing everything he can to make him rethink. I bet he's having some sort of think tonight of the damage and excitement he could have to his game this season under this set-up..

May no be enough to sway him, but he'll be weighing it up, whereas last season he was gone..

Aye, said loads that I wanted him out last year but no one can deny he's a big player for us when on it. Ball carrier. Presses. All action. Creates and scores goals..

Wee Baldy and Seán Mac D like this.
  3. Foley1888

He was excellent today one of his best games in a Celtic shirt and definitely his best in over a season. His passing, work rate, decision making and crossing were all great.

I think the wide left position suits Christie as there is space to receive the ball, he has the energy to go up and down all day and gets enough time when receiving the ball as his first touch isn’t always the best when he’s in the 10 position.

I think this will come down to money though if an EPL team are willing to throw a big weekly wage at him on a 4 year deal he will be gone. If our offer matched McGregors wage then we can’t offer much else.

At the end of last year I wasn’t that bothered if he left but now would be keen to keep him.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  4. D'Ecosse

I thought he was really excellent today - and I'm far from his biggest fan (based on earlier prima donna stuff - but he was magnificent today, tireless work rate and amazing skill)

If I was McKay, here's what I'd offer him - ask to commit for new 2 year deal (ending July 2023) with a 'good' wage plus guarantee to let him go in next summer window with £'x' price.
    It's no loser really, even if we pay him 20 -25 grand a week to be able to recoup some fee next year vs walking in 6 months for nothing or a token fee now if he accepts a pre-contract with another team
    That's a win-win for Christie too - teams have not been banging the door down, but with a year based on today's quality vs last year, he'll have GOOD teams lining up for him, good money in the meantime (a Million in the bank for another year essentially) and a chance to enjoy football playing in a great system.

celticdaft238 and Wee Baldy like this.
  5. Jeffrey

One of last years scapegoats.

At the very minimum he’s busting a gut, workrate is never in question. When he’s on his game, he’s got everything Turnbull has and more. Hope he stays.

6. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    He was the best player on the pitch today for me.

7. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Brilliant today. Hope he signs a new deal, but we should get good money if he continues to play like that, so win/win.

8. celtic20

Didn't know it was the same agent as Armstrong. That guy is a class A *. Likely off then.

9. DonnyCelt

Where has that player been? If he wants to sign a new deal.and play the way he did today then he can certainly stay.

Was immense today.

10. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Give him anything he wants to get an extension

11. Damnati

If he really does want the riches down south I think we should be trying to agree an extension with a buyout clause and agreement to sell him next year. Put it to him that he'll shine in this system and his stock will be much higher next Summer.

Getting a year out of him in current form and even a paltry £8m or so would be great business at this point.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The Sun saying he wants to stay supposedly..

craigtheceltic likes this.
  13. Maestro 08

Signing a new deal doesn't harm his chances of a move at all so I don't see why he would be against it. I can't see us selling this summer and if the worst was to happen and he picked up a bad injury he could be out on his ear with zero money coming in 5 months from now.

A new contract gives him immediate security and if he continues his form English clubs will happily pay for him next year. Let's be honest they ain't short on cash.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  14. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    This sort of situation is where I think our board have to be savvy. We need to have a proper wage structure which rewards loyalty.

Simply put, if Christie is on £12k a week then tripling his wages would cost us an additional £5m over the course of a 4 year contract. It seems a lot for us on the face of it, but could we replace his energy, goals and assists with a £5m signing? Probably not (and that’s before we pay that signing’s wages). On top of that, we’d more than recoup that £5m in a transfer fee at any point over the course of that contract.

If Ange wants him then make it happen.

15. Maestro 08

Our salary cap seems to be widely accepted amongst the support. I think it seriously needs looked at and a bit of flexibility is required. I genuinely think that in today's market and for a club of our size it is holding us back.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If ever there was a player you could point to that proves the lack of professionalism and general direction from the previous manager it’s Christie.

Guy was a * dumplin’ last season and now he’s playing 40 yard no look passes through the eye of a needle like prime * Iniesta. Mental.

craigtheceltic and Noskeil like this.
  17. Maestro 08

I would counter that and say he was playing plenty of these previously just never had as willing a runner as Kyogo.

Swap Kyogo for Edouard and I think there's a case for saying he only gets one assist today.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The assist for Rogic’s goal he wasn’t making last season. If he had a thousand attempts at it. Even if his touch took him inside he’d have took the shot on.

JC Anton and Maestro 08 like this.
  19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Today was the best I've seen him play. Hope he stays.

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Offer him a 5 year £25k a week deal with a £2m signing fee.