1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Trequartista

Provides the much needed experience and know-how of playing in front of the defence. He wouldn’t have been my first choice but for * all, it’s a good bit of business. The four year deal is a bit of a strange one for us but at this stage, I’m just glad we’ve signed someone proven.

2. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    26 starts 2756 minutes played in total. Can't remember off the top of my head how many of those 26 he played the full 90, take it your not happy with the signing ?

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Delighted with this signing, suddenly the squad has some experience and quality in it and more importantly the rebuild is building some momentum.

The made of glass and crock nonsense can be stuck in the bin, it’s the laziest possible criticism of a guy that’s missed 3 games with a hammy since recovering from a leg break years ago.

4. Mike B MikeyBhoyy

Just delighted to have someone with a bit of character, experience and dig in this side. We are lacking that massively. Yes the contract may be a bit long but time will tell. Id much rather have him that not have him.

charlietully likes this.
  5. Lennon1888

Hopefully cracks on well.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Just piggybacking on this comment
    D6A244C8-D073-4FC6-AF77-7638B292A14C.png

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Was a just a genuine question. As you mentioned games played I thought you might have had additional info. I'm indifferent about it, but I am skeptical about how he's going to be for us given his past with serious injuries and hammy problems.

Just didn't think this would be the direction we'd be going under Ange. I suspect its only because of the no quarantine condition and gets bodies in right now but that doesn't explain the 4 year deal aspect to someone in his age and possible condition.

Stevie6767 likes this.
  8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    My point is is it stupid *? McGregor is easily the best keeper in the league and Davis has played at a considerable high standard for such a long time. To suggest McCarthy couldn't is unfounded.

charlietully likes this.
  9. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    Don't get me wrong, I know its not Paul Pogba we've signed, but still think getting a guy who has proven himself in the EPL over the years is not the worst bit of business, especially given how much we're lacking a bit of leadership (and quality in the middle of the park) Don't disagree that there is a bit of risk, given his injury problems, but getting him on a free balances that out I think.

I'm guessing the length of contract is what was needed to get him here, pretty sure he would have had bigger offers from England just for less years, as I say, given the position he plays, I don't think its the most ridiculous route to take, and anything that shows this board is acting differently from previous years, has to be a good a thing, even if you don't agree its the correct decision!

craigtheceltic and eire4 like this.
  10. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A 4 year deal for someone with his injury record seems like madness

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I was surprised the deal was 4 years not just because of McCarthy's injury record but also his age. He is 30. Having said that if McCarthy can stay fit he should be a very good signing as the quality is for sure there. It is a gamble based on his injury record but not a gamble base on his ability IMHO.

12. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm delighted with this. Plenty of experience, and a fan too.

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    You might be right about the length of contract been the key to getting McCarthy to sign given there is no doubt he could have got better wages somewhere else in the epl most likely or even the championship. Personally I am happier with this signing. I think Soro is a decent player but I am just not convinced he is ready to be the every day starter in the 6 role for us. Now with McCarthy on board we have someone of the proven quality but with Soro there as well he can get some starts and allow us to not be dependent on McCarthy needing to play every single game.

Stevie6767 likes this.
  14. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    100% agree, Soro looks very raw, and don't think we can rely on him well in week out, rotating with McCarthy and learning from him in training can only be a good thing.

SuperZidane and eire4 like this.
  15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    There will be no lack of commitment from McCarthy, he knows what it means to play for Celtic.

[​IMG]

16. DonnyCelt

He said he'd play for us one day. That day has come.

Keep him fit and we've got a player here. Welcome James.

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Lets hope it turns out to be 4 great years he plays for us.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  18. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Very long deal for a player of that age, and (to me) suggests Soro isn’t rated.

Could be a great signing, and no doubt whatsoever it will have manager approval given budget impact and fact it’s a name planned to be among first on team sheet.

All hinges on long-term fitness and availability. There’s no signing devoid of risk, but the risk profile of this one commercially is high so we hope it comes off and for a few years too.

A concern of mine was calmac having to be pushed back given the Soro situation. That’s another question answered, and answered positively.

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    My thoughts exactly. Training day in day out alongside McCarthy can only help Soro and now we can have Soro eased into the team playing time wise with some starts during those periods when we have a crazy number of games in a short period. We easily play enough games where Soro can get a decent number of starts while McCarthy plays the most say two thirds to one third.

craigtheceltic and Stevie6767 like this.
  20. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    4 years seems a bit much.

But its a free transfer. If we get 2.5 good years out of him I'll be delighted.

We've brought in Hart and McCarthy for total of 1m quid. That's almost 600 premier league appearances and 120 international caps.

The value and advice these guys give a young squad off the pitch too is huge. Their presence in the changing room etc.