1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

A patsy for the board?

How long have you had these strong views?

Aaah, since Saturday.

Enjoy the forum.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Think the board’s been on the patsies…

Mr Shelby likes this.
  3. G40B

Views about Postecoglou, or the club?

If it’s the latter, probably since 2004 when Martin O’Neill was warning the support that we were heading for ‘life in the slow lane’.

It is baffling that sections of the support still believe we are a professionally run club.

Gordon Strachan’s other son (not the one with the iPad) is a senior scout at the club. Prior to this role he was managing a golf club bar. That’s beyond parody.

There is a reason Eddie Howe knocked us back, and it wasn’t because he didn’t fancy Glasgow - he took one look at the way the club is run and bolted.

Maybe I’ve got Postecoglou wrong and he is kicking up an almighty fuss behind closed doors. However, I don’t see it - this board is wounded and cowardly, they wouldn’t risk him walking out and them being forced to sit before the fans and a press who would make a circus of it.

HenriksRightBoot likes this.
  4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    If that happens in the first part then Ange will either walk or he will be sacked.

John Kennedy will then step up and take the job. This will be DD and the rest of the boards fall back plan.

5. MAP

Am I the only person still basking in the no-Lennon afterglow?
    I've got no doubt Ange wont be going soon in terms of being given the boot. This is partly fortified by the length of time Lennon was given to hang around + everyone knowing what Ange was going to attempt to do - which would be a lengthy process (I am completely bemused by the people on here with unrealistic timeframes; Rome wasn't built in a day).

In part I think you answer your own question; Ange can't be quickly gotten rid of, otherwise we experience groundhog day ... going looking for another manager, who then comes in with none of the players his own etc etc. Not to mention, it makes the club (Board) look like they made a mistake hot on the heels of the Howe debacle. As for installing Kennedy, if that were the Boards (and Dom's) intent, they'd have done it at the outset (before hiring Ange).

That said, the time it is taking to get new players in is killing me. It just makes winning games in the immediate future just that much harder.

Sgt Neppers* and Ozzie Hoop like this.
  6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Good post.

7. Mr Cleansheets

So how on earth does that make Ange the board's patsy?

Other way round from the way you express it.

OziBeerMan and The big Viduka like this.
  8. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Incredible. Makes it even clearer why Strachan Sr is the board's mouthpiece to the press.

G40B likes this.
  9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Disagree with this idea that deviating from his philosophy would be seen as weak. Stubbornly attaching yourself to a philosophy or specific way of playing just makes no sense to me (not saying Ange necessarily does that).

The way I see it - he’s arrived into a team that is ill-equipped to play in the manner he would like to. He’s then faced with a decision on wether to adapt his style, accommodate the players we do have, and gradually implement his plans over time as we get better players, or……stick to his style outright, hope that the players eventually learn to adapt to it, and accept substandard results in the meantime.

I hope he’s chosen the former. Momentum is so important in this job, and although he’s got the fans on his side just now, that wouldn’t survive a Europa league exit alongside more points dropped domestically and a defeat at ibrox.

The Phoenix and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc

Hoped this wasn’t true, but a quick look online seems to confirm it. Football experience entirely limited to ‘Celtic scout’ :giggle1::52:

I know Gordon was a success with us, but there’s something really weird about our relationship with the Strachan family. You shouldn’t be employed here in any capacity simply by way of association, and both the Strachan brothers simply look like leeches, enjoying a very comfortable, well paid position they’re under-qualified for.

The big Viduka, McKagan, Slaw and 3 others like this.
  11. Mr Cleansheets

I took Dom at his word when he said he'd followed Ange for years and wanted to bring the Ange process and system to Celtic. Can you imagine the conversations those two must be having?

Dom: Yuv goat tae stay strong Ange. The fan's are behind ye tae work yer magic.

Ange: Yeah mate, but you promised me players. I'm not a * miracle worker.

Dom: Course ye are...it's why yer here.

Ange: I dunno mate. I can't make a silk purse out of Ralston's ear. I need fullbacks that can defend but can also get forward at pace and knock crosses over. I also need them to understand the system as we get forward, so what the *'s happened with Baldock?

Dom: The windaes still open Big Man. We'll get ye players.

Ange: We've got a Europa qualifier on Thursday.

Dom: Aye, but there were problems wi Baldock... We might be able to get one of Wee Gordan's nephews in for the next round...in the Conference.

Ange: * that...I'll have to change the system. Five, four, one and hope for penalties.

Dom: Ye cannae do that Ange! Ah've staked ma reputation on Angeball. The board want ye tae play Angeball!

Ange: (suspicious) They do?

Dom: Aye.

Ange: So the more I attempt the impossible with the useless players at my disposal...shipping goals and going out of Europe...sliding down the SPL ladder...the more the board will like it?

Dom: Aye.

Ange: It almost sounds like the board have deliberately set me up as a human shield to protect them from the wrath of the fans...

Dom: ...Almost?

12. Kiro Kompiro

Spot on. Defensively for Australia in 2014 WC, we shipped 9 goals in 3 games. He was excused, little time, young squad, attacking football. OK. For the 2018 WCQ's I always felt we could concede on the counter. Syria had a free kick that beat the keeper and hit the post with just about the last kick of the match. If it went in we would not have qualified. A disaster for Australian football. He can't coach a defense, as confirmed by his defensive record in Japan. Anyone objective can see it.

13. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I don’t know how he can expect to bring in any first team ready players after Hart tbh..

Just can’t see us making any further signings. We just can’t afford it for some reason.

Don’t know if we’ll ever find out that reason.

I wonder if in another 20 years time we will still have our circa 25k wage cap and have spent more on transfers in the year 2003. Obviously economic and football inflation doesn’t apply to Glasgow Celtic.

14. Dip 'n' Swerve

he knocked it back as he couldn't bring Jason Tindall in as his assistant - fact from genuine source.
    the club is being run in cloak and dagger stuff
    the gun is being held to ange's head there is no way he would want to sign scales, mc carthy etc who is calling these shots?!!

hart I can deal with he can command the area, organise his defence and brings a wealth of big game experience and is a quick fix for this season should he stay injury free. before the rangers took mc gregor he was injured a lot at hull, last season he pretty much won them the title. lubo signed at 34. start him on Thursday!!

buta - scares me defensively speaking great on the attack but he may be exposed when we need to keep it tight in games

mc carthy - doesn't play enough games a season to make an impact so is he worthwhile?

scales - again not an impact signing and have we not learned from lee o 'connor.

enough with future projects - ange isn't worried out the future if the next 5 games don't go his way he could be out the door and not his own making!!

bring back wee dembele the new hero!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    seanm likes this.
  15. AussieGreek

No, it's not a lot of assumptions. It's based on seeing how he's always approached new jobs for the 20+ years I have been following his career.

16. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Lots of people on here who seem to be privy to the private discussions between Ange and the board.
    Your talent is wasted.

The big Viduka likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And the way we would have approached it is to tell him exactly what’s expected and how we operate and if he can handle it and it’s a good match. That requires a bit of flexibility on both sides. If neither can do that it won’t work.

18. G40B

They're wounded because the Celtic support finally woke up and realised how ludicrously we’re run, not because Postecoglou is ranting to a Glasgow Live reporter.

As I keep saying, actions speak louder than words - he’s accepted Kennedy & Strachan, has none of his own guys in, and hasn't rebuilt the squad.

On current evidence he’s basically a less polite version of Ronny Deila.

OziBeerMan, seanm and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Ronny signed some decent young guys. Hopefully he does too then. So alteast out next manager can come in and use that force built by ronny and win 4trebles in a row

NomDePlum and Ewang83 like this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You were involved in the discussions he had with the board then? Sorry mate, but they’re assumptions, like so many opinions on here.

The big Viduka and Cena like this.