1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AussieGreek

Let's agree that can only be determined when he has HIS team and some weeks to gel them.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    To be fair, Bielsa would have walked out on the club within 48hrs after seeing the absolute * show we are as a club.

Leone Naka Fan and murphy88 like this.
  3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    His problem is that he came to a club where the board offer zero support to managers, but happily scapegoat them when failure becomes terminal. So, your "when" is not a when, not an if, but never. He will insist on playing the brand of football he likes, but that will just cement his failure. I just hope he can redirect it against our board.

4. Maestro 08

It's a simple one for me. Every game you go in to you should be giving yourself the best chance to win that game. This should be based on the tools at your disposal i.e your players capabilities. Right now with the way he is setting us up I don't think he's giving himself the best chance to win those games. He seems more concerned with exacting his system than anything else.

TonyTim and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  5. AussieGreek

Ange wouldn't have made demands, he would've made his terms.

Why would he just accept a job if the club and manager weren't of the same vision? You do realise how ridiculous that sounds IF you're saying they didn't have discussions on their common vision for the club?

Ange and Dom even said that they were of the same vision. Ange has been clear on his vision and is trying to deliver it. Dom was also clear on his vision, and is yet to back it up.

OziBeerMan and Ozzie Hoop like this.
  6. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Welcome to Celtic bro. Same vision!

For the record i'm a big fan of Ange, but he's on to plums here i fear

7. murphy88

Maybe if the board hadn't * about for so long before appointing a manager, then maybe Postecoglou would have the players understanding and playing the system he wants better than we are now.

Literally all of this mess is down to the board. Bringing in a manager roughly 3 weeks before our first competitive game needing 6 starting players to be brought in is nothing short of a disgrace.

Ozzie Hoop likes this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    But tactically, he has to at least adapt it a little bit till he get those players.
    Or are we to accept getting beat every week till this time next season? Because that won't last and if you honestly think he deserves or would get that sort of time, you are far from understanding the difference in circumstances here.

I said it before, got shot down for looking at stats, but the leagues in Japan and Australia are wildly different to that in Europe, specially in leagues where there are expected winners every season.

In Japan and Australia, it seems like literally any club can win those leagues each season - much the same in MLS as well - where in the last 20 years I think about 8 or so different clubs have won each of those two leagues.
    So the expectations/acceptance of failure is completely different to what we demand in Europe.

Managing a club of this size, specially in a league like ours where it is so unbalanced in our favour, any defeat at all is a massive issue and is rightly going to be scrutinised.
    Ange and his ideas sound wonderful and he does deserve time, but in that time he needs to be winning games as well. Fans will accept the odd defeat here and there, but the expectation is still that we should be beating 10 of the other 11 teams with relative ease.
    The fact we struggled so badly the other night is what is causing the fear. That Ange seemed unable to do simple changes that we could all see was needed - Forrest to the right wing, subs, tell the FullBacks to stop coming in central - I get it goes against some of his idealogy, but if he wants to survive past September, he is going to either have to buy another 6 world class players to hit the ground running, or adapt his approach while he gets in his players.

It can not just be that we accept * football and defeats, because we wait for him to make the team his own.

Maestro 08 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  9. murphy88

To be fair, if history has told us anything, it is that managers get plenty time here, sometimes far too much.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sorry this ends up seeming like we are all ganging up - not meant that way at all bud - but Rodgers (and others) have been sold the same vision malark before, it is all empty words from this board/club. Ange is no different to other managers who will have been given assurances, but then they never materialise and/or any old excuse is peddled out to try and pretend it was out of their control.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  11. murphy88

Then when said manager leaves after not being properly backed, they are then called a rat.

G40B, Gurru 991 and Peej like this.
  12. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    “High Ra Kay”

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    At this stage supporters have no other choice but to back the manager, there is an understanding of the position he is in, but he needs to start winning games, dosen't help when the Board are taking an age to get new players thru the door.

Noskeil likes this.
  14. GavCFC1

Back the manager and not blaming him for results thus far. Needs his players in and time to gel. But * me, we need results as well. This place is toxic when we get beat and it’s going to be a long season if things don’t pick up. Man needs backed with money and time

Noskeil likes this.
  15. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If he doesn't get the correct players to fit his system and the players we have can't adapt then we are pretty much *, unless he changes the system.

:39:

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not guaranteed but selecting a guy who isn’t good defensively, who has already majorly let him down infront of the guy who’s been the best defender he’s had so far, and then that guy who’s already let him down loses his man for the losing goal. Like pretty much everycunt was predicting beforehand just because he’s a decent passer of the ball falls on his head.

GavCFC1 likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    If he fails at us he’d struggle to. They never gave him a chance beforehand.

I don’t disagree with what’s he’s trying to achieve, think he just needs to drip feed the approach and make sure you get wins on the board first of all.

Peej likes this.
  18. GavCFC1

Aye that’s the only thing I’ll pin the blame on Ange for. Was a head scratching decision starting Bitton ahead of Welsh.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Im hoping with the new government rules on EU/US visitors not having to quarantine if vaccinated might bring in players faster. I know it’s to allow tourists in but have a sneaky suspicion of English FA influence on the decision.

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Ange made demands ? Haha aye right. He knows he'* the jackpot, Deila style. Hence dumb and dumber staying on.

celticdaft238 likes this.