1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

I agree up to a point and he badly needs the players in so that he can hopefully be successful with his desired system but first and foremost until those reinforcements arrive we badly need results. Currently, I think asking some players to carry out jobs they aren't capable of is a wee bit naive.

2. James Gold Member Gold Member

The board are 100% accountable but that squad had more than enough to beat newly promoted Hearts you could probably say Midtjyland as well based off what we seen. It is possible to support the manager and agree the board have hung him out to dry but also point out where he has went wrong.

3. murphy88

Or walk if you aren't getting backed and given a fair chance to succeed. Managers do have to be flexible and adapt to different situations. However, I don't think he should be forced to change just because the board aren't giving him the players to be able to play the way he wants. They will have known what we needed when they gave him the job. So if he is being stubborn to prove a point, I think he is well within his rights at this stage.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  4. AussieGreek

At the same time, this is his biggest gig ever, one he has dreamed of. Perhaps from his perspective, if it all goes balls up and he leaves the club, he would rather showcase to future clubs the style of football he's trying to achieve rather than try and scrape out ugly results with no guarantees of winning with the donkey's he has as players for now.

5. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    The man can't do his job without the proper tools - no manager could.

6. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

You're right. The 6 goal pumping from West Ham, at home, didn't happen. Did not happen.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Wingers and full backs who stay wide to stretch defences who constantly play narrow and regularly play 6 across the back to stifle us. Only one full back up the park at a time and not having every midfielder up the park and being asked to play intricate one and two touch passing that they struggle with, give the ball away and we are then horribly exposed at the back with the simplest ball over the top.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Silly statement, no wins are guaranteed. What’s clear is that we have a good enough squad to win these games, it’s his job to get the result and so far it isn’t working. Intelligent managers aim to get the best out of the players at their disposal, rather than the square pegs in round holes approach currently being employed.

9. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Got a link / source to back that up? Would be interesting to hear what those guarantees amount to.

Because if they are in fact not met, Ange walks? He doesn't adapt, under any circumstances?

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I doubt he’s being stubborn to prove a point but if he was that would be pretty daft considering he’s judged on results.

11. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

:56: you didn't have a clue about Celtic until Ange came. You still don't tbf.
    Apart from a brier spell, in one game, we have looked bang average going forward.

This * philosophy again :56:

Mate. Managers talk a good game, tell me ones that don't ? Ronny Deila was class when talking about the game and how it should be played etc. Gies peace with the philosophy Angeball pish, it's brutal.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  12. AussieGreek

We're going back in circles. As I said, Ange would've made it clear the style he's going to play and what he needs to achieve it. That was his job and what would've been agreed. The agreement wasn't to get a squad that was weaker then last season and scrape out results.

This is fundamental and needs to be remembered.

As I said before: "Perhaps from his perspective, if it all goes balls up and he leaves the club, he would rather showcase to future clubs the style of football he's trying to achieve rather than try and scrape out ugly results with no guarantees of winning with the donkey's he has as players for now."
    I've watched several matches at Celtic Park, but yeah, okay Big Jessie.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Hearts defender actually had a defensive header the other night, right up the middle of the park. A straight as an arrow defensive header right down the middle and we were in alsorts of bother by it. It was utterly terrifying how easy it put us under pressure.

The Phoenix likes this.
  14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In football, only results matter. He's not going to get jobs in Europe if his footballing style ends up achieving nothing. That being said, quitting the job if he is not backed (and publicly stating his reasons) would be a way to preserve his reputation without having to compromise his tactical ideals.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It is a concern of mine I wont lie, the system. We do look incredibly narrow and open at the back and that isn't something which will go away even with better fullbacks, unless they can teleport.

It was before he came, as he has, before now, employed it in 2 very very different domestic leagues. As celtic manager you do have to be adaptable so I hope he can be, for his sake.

If it clicks, then domestically it should be fine for the most part, but we will be torn to bits in Europe IMO. More often than not.

The Phoenix likes this.
  16. AussieGreek

The pish on this forum :giggle1::giggle1::giggle1:

I would bet my left * that he would have a job offer from one of the top club's in Greece by the end of his stint at Celtic, no matter how long or short it might.

17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This will be verified or disproven easily. I respect him for his bravery in front of the press. He has every right to demand the board's financial backing. But his tactical ideas are simply the wrong choices when dealing with SPFL teams.

18. Ozzie Hoop

The fact you’re counting a friendly to try and make your argument is laughable. Add the fact you’re only counting ONE of them because the others don’t suit your narrative just makes it even funnier.

19. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    No it isn't and no it doesn't, cos it didn't happen - Ange wasn't in a position to make any demands, we told him the score and he took the job. No manager with any stock would've touched this job under these conditions.

20. murphy88

I think there is every chance he could be doing to to prove a point. He may well be doing it to show the board just how desperate this situation really is, because they don't seem to know. He has already said he hasn't done a good enough job of convincing the board that the squad needs reinforcements, how else can he do it.