1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

That makes it worse. If he knows we don't have defenders who can play CM, then maybe don't play them there.
    Trying to make Ralston and Taylor play like Phillip Lahm, it gives me the fear.

Crilly likes this.
  2. Maestro 08

Prob the best way to beat this is to get wide and get decent balls in to the box. Then we need players that can attack these crosses. I'm sorry but we'll be lucky if edouard will score one header a season and generally isn't interested in being aggressive and attacking balls and in general we have very few players that like to do that I.e be aggressive and get their head on things. On top of that the quality coming from our fullbacks is hit and miss to say the least and our wingers that can actually beat a man and deliver are permanently injured.

We've always had success against packed defences doing this. If you go back to the O'Neill era we had guys bullying backlines and quality delivery. Then Lennon had similar first time around. Mulgrew whipping balls in to Hooper, Wanyama etc then Rodgers even had it for a while with Tierney doing the same for Dembele. Another huge part of defeating teams like this is being good off set pieces, we rarely score from corners etc now.

And hate to say it but this is a big part of the Hun success right now. 2 fullbacks with good deliveries and an aggressive striker and midfielders flooding the box and then being extremely proficient off set plays.

Would love us to try and go with two up top first off all and preferably two guys that aren't shy in attacking crosses. They don't need to be monsters then we need pace and quality from wide positions.

New Fullbacks and new striker badly needed.

3. murphy88

I agree with most of this, but the part about his own backroom staff I have no sympathy whatsoever. That was down to him to tell the board he wasn't taking the job unless he got to bring his own team with him. The problem is, he probably then wouldn't have gotten the job. He has meant to have "assessed" Kennedy and Strachan within about a week of arriving and was happy for them to stay. Some fans are actually buying that as well.

Free the Adblock and Mr Shelby like this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree tbh. I don't know the ins and outs...either way I find it ridiculous he doesn't have anyone.

Said it at the time, the two of them were part of the previous regime so shouldn't be here. No other club in the world would operate like this.

murphy88 likes this.
  5. murphy88

The board would have known how he wants to play, it was then down to them to give him the players to carry it out. The fact he has been left starting the league campaign with the only available right back as Anthony Ralston is an absolute disgrace.

6. murphy88

100%. Both should have been out the same time as Lennon was. They were all culpable for last season. It is farcical that these two are still clinging on. No shame whatsoever.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. Mr Diggler

Bottom line is that until there is a proper structure in place- a head of recruitment and Director of Football in particular with Ange bringing in his own assistants and technical team and substantial backing in the transfer market we are going nowhere. We have literally changed the manager and CEO, kept all assistants and technical team from last season and spent very little. Is it any wonder we are in the position we find ourselves?

Peej and murphy88 like this.
  8. Maestro 08

Take a look at the goals conceded column for each of his 3 seasons at Yokohama. Often one of the worst in the league and even when he won it I think they didn't have a great defensive record. For example the 2020 season he finished 9th of 18 teams but had the 4th worst defensive record of those 18 teams needless to say the other 3 teams worse than them finished in the bottom 4. Yet in the same season they had the 2nd highest goals for yet finished 9th!

He's either very attacking or really * at defending or both.

9. oh bhoy

I don't think that has ever been edouards game but I agree with all that ,a carsten jancker type to rough up defences

Maestro 08 likes this.
  10. joemc

I think our club have added a new slant to dof some1 who will remain and carry the same fundamentals while the manager changes ,we've made the coaches the persons who will stay and keep things the same .

11. Ozzie Hoop

Have a quick look at the table from the first full season he took over at Brisbane, least goals conceded in the league.
    While he is certainly a manager that likes to play attacking football it’s nothing at the expense of all else.
    He expects his teams to work hard at the press from the striker all the way back to win the ball back.

12. murphy88

Correct. Simply bringing in a new manager and not backing him just isn't enough to turn us around. Who knew eh.

Peej likes this.
  13. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Everyone was pretty clear after last week that they weren’t blaming him for the CL exit. After Saturday a few are turning already, Im still behind him but he has to start winning games or it will get pretty messy. We’ve got a coupon of decent home leagues coming up and we have to get max points.

14. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

If Bielsa had come to Celtic instead of Leeds half of this board would have had him sacked before the end of the first preseason, I swear :giggle1: It's a process, we need to give it time and he needs the players for it to work. It might work, it might not but it's months too early to make a call either way for me.

OziBeerMan and Ozzie Hoop like this.
  15. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Worrying.
    Teams with fast players will run riot against us I fear, they're pretty much given a free run towards our box. Beat a CB and you're in.

littlekennie and Maestro 08 like this.
  16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

No quite, Bielsa is literally known as one of the best managers in the world/ever. Massive name in football and hugely respected, so he would have gotten as much time as he needs.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Always interested to read your comments.

Noskeil likes this.
  18. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

I'm exagerrating a bit but my point is more that the style can make it look like suicidal football at times that'll lead to a ton of goals conceded but Leeds ultimately won the Championship with the best defense in the league. Playing attacking football can actually benefit you defensively if you have the right players who know the system inside out.

saltire78 and Ozzie Hoop like this.
  19. Ozzie Hoop

B
    Yep, he’s absolutely brilliant!

Even for him it took time for the Leeds players to adapt to his style of pass and move, high energy, high press…..yet he stuck to his philosophy

20. Ozzie Hoop

This!

seanm likes this.