1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

My point wasn’t about them or the fact they’d taken 3 years to rebuild.

It was about mediocre players adapting to a system which is what we will need Ralston and Taylor to do at times. A new LB and RB aren’t going to play 38 games. We need players that can fit straight into the system like they’ve got.

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think the attacking football thing is a bit overblown.

Every coach/manager in the world would like to build a team that plays attacking, attractive, fast paced, and most importantly successful, football.

Implementing it is the hard bit.

3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think everyone wants to set up attacking football. It is the preferred style amongst fans, though.

4. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Indeed.

A pragmatic approach is what is needed at the moment. Ange needs to adapt, and fast.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  5. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I think most fans have blown the Hearts game out of complete proportion, we * dominated them for 90% of the game. They scored due to calamitous defending for the first goal (mostly being a player that had been thrown into the team, probably not by choice but by not having any other choice), the second goal was absolutely trash goal keeping. Funnily enough the exact same issues we had last season. I really don’t see what some folk are moaning about, expecting a manager to come in and instantly start playing like Real Madrid. It takes time, 4 weeks isn’t time, 4 weeks is a settling in period. Saying fitness should be up etc, obviously people have never played football before. If the standards of fitness was that bad before he come in, that’s not going to change within 4 * weeks, then implementing his tactics and approach that will take months not days, that’s up to the players to buy into not the manager.

I get the anger and I know for a fact I’ll get pulled over the coals by some on here, but tbh some folks ideas of how football works is so far off the mark you’d think half of the forum is full of preteens or someone that’s never kicked a ball before in their lives.

Ange wasn’t my first choice, never even heard of him but blaming him for the mess the clubs in is about as much his fault as it is Neil Armstrong’s. The toxicity, the mess, the infighting caused by the board. They employed someone that’s ruined our club, they’re responsible, they’re accountable don’t blame someone that comes in with a new philosophy and it doesn’t gel in 4 weeks, the notion of that is * insanity, especially when the guys not been backed in terms of staff, players or by the board/CEO that * literally disappeared into the woodwork, say what you want about Lawwell but at least he didn’t just hide from the fans or press, * got disaster written all over him.

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Im talking about a hypothetical situation where results are equal - there can’t be many coaches who would rather win a league paying ultra defensive football than win a league while playing like peak Barcelona.

Basically, and this goes for any coach, saying you want to play attacking football is the east part. Implementing it and winning while playing it is the difficult thing.

7. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    OK fair enough.

I get your point about players, even mediocre players adapting to the system.

But what I would say about the Huns is that their mediocre players tend to be guys like Arfield, Jack, or even their CBs who I'm not overly convinced by.

Their full backs tend to be their better players, important to their system, but capable of adapting. So it wasn't as big an adjustment for those particular players in those particular areas.

I don't think you can ask the same of guys like Taylor or Ralston. They just don't have the attributes. While Tavenier was on the end of several hidings during the Rodgers era, he did at least have the ability to get forward and put a decent ball in.

I see none of that in our dismal lot.

We desperately need a competent LB and an equally competent RB. Taylor and Ralston will never adapt in my view.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, if we had a better out and out defender he could have been dropped for the same reason mate. It was a ridiculous decision.

9. SuperZidane

I agree. Attacking full backs are a real core component of the way Ange sets his teams up and Ralston, Taylor or Bolongoli just don't have the attributes. Ralston was a squad filler for the season - personally I would like to see one of Taylor or Bolongoli sold. I'm realistic enough to know that we won't get the required number of players in before August 31.

Defensively, we must at least bring in a RB, LB and GK. My GK preference would be Marshall but I could live with Hart (unless he's demanding an unrealistic wage). On his worst day - he's a much better goalkeeper that either Bain or Barkas.

The Phoenix likes this.
  10. murphy88

Although I don’t think Bolingoli is good enough, he is the best option for Postecoglou’s system in my opinion.

littlekennie and McKagan like this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's much, much better option than Taylor but his positional sense has been suspect at left back, nevermind as an inverted left back/centre mid..

He'd be all over the place there :giggle1:

murphy88 likes this.
  12. murphy88

At least he is faster than Taylor so would have a better chance of getting back at his man when he gets caught out of position :giggle1:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  13. Mr Cleansheets

So what you're saying is... Ange isn't really at Celtic Park at all. He's actually running the show from a studio in the Nevada Desert!

14. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    BBC News - Celtic: Seismic month as issues come to head for Scottish Premiership club
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58049234

For once, I agree with Tom English. Not just in general. I agree with every word written here. Somebody hold me.

15. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Aye man that’s exactly what I said.

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  16. Big C

He’s spot on!!! Unfortunately.

Sydneysider likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That the same Tom English that called Celtic fans bed wetters a matter of weeks ago or a different one?

Flows with the tide same as them all. Nothing but spineless shitebags in the SMSM.

Rydo1888*, Taz, Hammy89 and 3 others like this.
  18. Kiro Kompiro

Just one question- if the opposition keeper didn't pull off two world class saves at the death there, would it still be the managers fault?

19. Sydneysider

None of this is our new managers fault, he must be thinking ..* have I got into here...Now I know why no-one wanted this job... I just hope he doesnt pull the pin.

English might be a "shitebag" but here he is is spot-on, a bloated squad with a core of has-beens, all fireproof bludgers on a million a year plus long term contracts and who dont GAF and dont even try to disguise it.

Our "stars" who want to get away ( one "asset" gone at our expense : Ntcham ) who also dont give a * about the Club or the fans, and a third rate second string.

On the credit side we have Calmac and about five players who actually show some fight and with the new signings and a decent goalkeeper we can survive the season without further humiliation.

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s been here a month and we’ve played 3 competitive games ffs.

Lennon had literally no identity his second time round. We just hoped we’d get a breakthrough in games.

OziBeerMan and Taz like this.