1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. marty89

People might want to take into consideration that most of our team turned up to play a game of football not knowing that hearts and Bobby were there to right the wrongs of the cup final they deservedly lost. It's a stark contrast to Martindale getting to play against his childhood heroes with him and Gerard serenading each other in the papers.

Couldn't have had a harder opener imo and I personally I hoped for at least a point so a little disappointed with the outcome but not that surprised with the performance which improved from midweek.

Solidsnake likes this.
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think there’s a perception amongst our fans that we can simply sign our way out of this. Buy enough good players and we’ll be fine this season.

I’ve been saying this for close to a year and still think it stands - it’s just not going to be that simple. Building a good team is much more than just assembling a squad of good players, and imo we’ve already left it too late for this season. A season of transition is the best we can realistically hope for, but transition itself doesn’t just happen. The club, from boardroom down need to make the correct decisions to make it happen, and so far they’ve not shown that they’re capable of doing that.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    My opinion is you talk utter nonsense. In fact it’s not an opinion it’s fact.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  4. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    I feel for him. He has a footballing philosophy and by all accounts, it's the sort of philosophy that suits what the fans want to see I.e. Rodgers-esque.

The issue I have is that the players he has at his disposal are not suited to it. Surely it makes sense to gradually impose that style as opposed to going all out. Taylor and Ralston are not good enough for Motherwell never mind us. As far as I'm concerned, there is only so much a great coach can do with them. Bain and Barkas are terrible. Bitton is not a defender. The more I see, the more I'm worried that he will happily draw or lose games as long as they play the structure and way he wants to play regardless of how good the players are.

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Problem is he has no other style or plan b so it’s his plan A or nothing.

That’s going to cause major issues if he doesn’t have the players to carry out his instructions.

Artorias and littlekennie like this.
  6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Heard he’s now said forward players need to help out the defence a bit ... he’s the one telling them to go gung ho only way they can help out the defence is by not giving the ball away in my opinion ... still you look at the stats not having a keeper is costing us big time two chances on goal two goals any other game that doesn’t happen but it’s been happening to us recently because the keepers are * plain and simple their better goalies in English league one and in spfl compared to what we have ..... been happening since last season how anyone at the club didn’t think that goal keeper shouldn’t have been first signing is beyond me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honda, Leone Naka Fan and bhoy81 like this.
  7. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Take some comfort in the fact that there's going to be points lost by both sides against hearts hibs and Aberdeen. Just because its first game of the season and the midweek fiasco making it worse than the reality of the situation.

The state of the team on the park is also very real. Only a matter of time before we've blown the league if we do not improve the bodies in the team

marty89 likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That would be Nir Bitton. The guy playing infront of Welsh, who has been our best defender that Ange inexplicably dropped.

Artorias, honda and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Lennon, Lawwel, Desmond and the board have set this club back years.. it has literally been run to a stand still.. Celtics current model does not work, its broken.

If anyone thinks Ange or any other manager is going to fix this in a couple of weeks is off their head. Is Ange the man to do it long term? No idea yet but he has absolutely no chance under the current regime, I doubt anyone has..

Crilly likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was it his man aye?

Does not surprise me one single bit..

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Our biggest problem last season was how poor we were defensively, especially at set plays. Do we think Ange is doing anything to rectify this? Even with tall strong players like Duffy and Ajer we were losing simple goals and for me that is down to coaching and how we set up.

As far as I can tell this is not really a big part of how Ange operates as he's more interested in forward play. Which is all well and good, but this is Scotland. Teams are gonna flood our box and get a lot of success unless we sort it out.

Being honest, as positive as I usually try to be, I think we should be focusing our efforts on becoming hard to beat and I don't think Ange is the man to do it. Really fear for his time at Celtic.

littlekennie likes this.
  12. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Hearts away is usually a hard game but they are usually of better standard. You are right, they were pish, they still are. The biggest thing they usually have going for them, and part of what makes these games difficult, is the poisonous atmosphere created inside that shitehole. It was half empty last night.

Come on mate, there's no way that game was a harder prospect than a qualifier against a Danish side slightly ahead of us in terms of preparation and sitting top of their league.

Solidsnake and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  13. Sgt Neppers*

Ange's system is gonna take time to implement and there are signs of it at times. But it be better and work more quickly if he had his own staff around him. Certain players not fitting his system I get, but having JK and GS thrown at you after last seasons catastrofuck, they need booted out swiftly. This job is too much for Ange on his own.

thailandceltic likes this.
  14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    And there is our problem.. Welsh being described as our best defender. Welsh is average at best.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  15. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think beating a * hearts side can be classed as a miracle.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's definitely under early pressure..

His first 3 competitive game's have seen us draw a European qualifier we dominated
    Lose the return that we dominated for the most part
    Lose our first league game that we completely dominated

Midgetland were in freefall and a terrible outfit and the diets were hideously pish yesterday, camped in and shattered....yet still done us..

Early start and he needs time but, it's no good enough so far..

We can't finish our dinner and look atrocious defensively still..

Dropping the likes of Christie for Turnbull for fresher leg's was a terrible call. Turnbull was miles off it. Same with dropping Welsh for Bitton, who was again pish and had a hand in both goals..

He also left ringing any changes until almost 10 minute's to go, despite us having a gruelling 120 minute's in Denmark..

As I said, he needs time but that doesn't mean he should get a free pass. He won't for long if this continues..

Rydo1888*, TonyTim, Xatraps and 4 others like this.
  17. Mr Cleansheets

So the board better get the * some players ASAFP.

It's just mental the way the mood swings on here (and I've been here a long time now). When the clubs been as * over as it has the last few years it takes a massive reset to start rebuilding. That needs to be understood before anything else.

I'm not saying Ange is definitely the man for that rebuild but he's definitely capable of the rebuild given half a chance and a requisite minimum support from the board.

The fans turning on him won't help. The club needs Ange (or someone like Ange) and the sooner he gets chased without support, the longer it will take to convince any other manager with any sort of ability to come in.

18. Maestro 08

We are all agreed the board are a shambles and holding us back but whatever way you look at it AP isn't without blame...some of his tactical decisions and selections have been very poor. To bring that coward Bitton back in last night when Welsh has been our best defender was a disgrace and again he let us down for the goal.

Keep seeing people defending him by saying the players aren't good enough to play his system. Well if he can't see that or can and won't adjust then really he ain't cut out for this gig. Shaming the board into buying players for his system is another one I've been seeing. Well you're shafting the fans in the meantime. Another one way ticket to down under.

Artorias and King of Kings like this.
  19. Crilly Hakuhna matata

We don’t have the players yet though do we? That’s what I’m saying the players don’t suit the system.

20. Sgt Neppers*

Why is our fitness so bad. Been like this since Rodgers left. We look knackered come 70mins. Another reason why Ange system won't work currently. We physically can't do it for 90mins. Hearts looked fresher than us in the final 15mins. So many worrying things stemming from mismanagement from the top. Utter neglect and incompetence.