1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The Board wrote off last season, by the looks of things they have the same plans for this season.

Massive re-build in a small time frame was always a recipe for disaster, 24hrs away from the start of the new season and we're scrambling around for players, already out of the CL, it's desperate.

2. horseshoe

We need a lot more than two or three obviously, but if we get 3 that walk straight into the starting lineup, including starfelt, kyogo and abada, possibly bulk out the squad with a loan or two on top of the younger guys coming through, that's a decent amount of movement in one window. The scale of the rebuild we're looking at, I'd expect it to take more than one to sort everything out properly tbh.

3. Dip 'n' Swerve

Any competent manager and coach would know we need a new striker, goalkeeper and full backs! and a box to box centre half - we carry too many passengers - rogic, Christie, turnbull etc all cut from the same cloth.

Has ntcham been frozen out, I would have took him midweek even to come off the bench - a good coach might tap into his head there is a player in there somewhere.

Daunting task - need need to win at the weekend and make it a handy win - 1-0 down and we will struggle.

4. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    A club of our size should never be relying on loans, the notion of such gives me the dry boak. Look at our loans over the last few years, for every 10 you get you get one player that’s worth it. There is usually a reason why players go on loan, they’re not ready for first team with their own club or they’re not good enough for their own club.

Duffy, Kenny and Laxault last year sums up that. Waste of money on fees I’d rather just sign someone * and make money on selling them on if they don’t work out.

The reason loans are happening more and more are due to all the super wealthy clubs dredging every bit of talent, bloating their squads and shipping them out. FIFA need to put limits because it’s completely hampering other clubs progressing.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  5. Dip 'n' Swerve

a win midweek guaranteed 6 Europa games and the attraction of bringing players in, we now make the task extra harder with 4 x tough games (more chances of injuries etc) - we have zero luck in the last 12 months - injuries, covid, bad coaching, bad incoming players ( I would love to know the last 80% of players we bough in the last 3 years, how many actually have been a hit or sold on for profit etc).

The whole thing stinks and I knew it was bad when lennon got the job in the changing rooms.

I reckon howe was clearly told about the club and for him it was too big a risk to take.

the only chance is a good win tomorrow and mid-week try to shake away some of the skeletons, my worry is the back line and keeper - crosses and freekicks into the box I watch with both eyes closes - little horror show!

Wee Baldy likes this.
  6. Gurru 991

The Celtic board have a world wide reputation for being *. It's no secret !
    Lots of articles in reputable newspapers talking about Celtic.
    I'm sure Ange has contacts in the UK & would have had more than a rough idea about the club.

7. Dip 'n' Swerve

in a CL game in extra time with less than 5 mins to go, im sorry even the most pep Guardiola coach would change it up and throw the kitchen sink... bain had a goalkick and the chance to get up the pitch for a flick on but he passed it to the edge of the box and we lost possession. mind boggles. chance to get 2 x defenders up for a flick on and hope for some lady luck.

A coach who cannot adopt within the game will never progress.

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We are 2 or 3 away from having an 11 we are comfortable with.

Thats not including Hart for me, 2 or 3 after him if the deal is close.

But we need cover in a lot more areas.

9. DonnyCelt

If its only 2 or 3 more in then we're * this season. A few injuries and we'll literally be playing the kids.

10. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  11. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Maybe when he said "2 or 3 more" he was just talking about right backs...?

craigtheceltic and NomDePlum like this.
  12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Really i'd say we need

First choice goalkeeper
    First choice right-back
    Back-up right-back
    First choice left-back
    Back-up centre-back
    First choice defensive midfielder
    First choice striker

Itakura or whatever he's called from Man City would cover 2 positions being able to play in defence and midfield. He might take over from Soro as the starter or could play at the back when needed.

So we need 6/7 players.

Enabling us to sell or loan out Barkas, Ralston, Murray, Bolingoli, Ntcham and Edouard.

luboagain and The Phoenix like this.
  13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The difference being that when Lennon said it, it was true. The team and squad he inherited just needed a little tweaking as time went on.

It's just a shame that the players Lennon, Lawwell et al decided to recruit were not the 2-3 that we actually needed added over the past couple of summers - or the 1-2 that each January might've augmented. Nevermind being pisspoor coaching and strategist to not get the most of those that are at the club or brought in.

Do this over the course of effectively 2 seasons and that adds up to the 7-8 etc that we have fallen short of, and why we are in such deperate need of a massive revolution and overhaul, instead of it being a case of evolution to maintain where we were.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

2 or 3 is almost as bad a gauge as 17.

A goalkeeper and 2 full backs are absolute bare minimum needs, not wants.

It’s then about options at holding mid and striker and a numbers game at centre half. Not accounting for more departures.

Taz and JamesM09 like this.
  16. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    He said 2 or 3 significant additions. I took that to mean, 2 or 3 players of proven quality who'll probably cost a bit of money, as opposed to other signings where we'll get promising youth players and loans or whatever.

17. AussieGreek

Yes, I took it as 2 or 3 Starfelt and Kyogo level signings.

People are loopy in here.

GreenLeanMean likes this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    GK, CB, fullbacks, another striker, midfielder, we need at the very least 6 new players of good quality in the door.

You look at our team we don't have any leaders or a physical presence, every good team needs a spine.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  19. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

It's a reasonable quote, I think the likes of Abada would even fall in to the latter category of players we'd look to develop.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

2-3? Need to be quality if that’s all we are bringing in. RB, LB, ST I would say. Bring that in then we won’t be to far away. Think we will be no bad at CB when Starfelt comes in and Julien is back but one more won’t hurt.