1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominic McKay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 29, 2021.

Discuss Dominic McKay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He will need to start building on the promises hes made about the restructuring etc.

I get that theres been a lot on the past month, but weve heard * all else about it since. Questions will start being asked and probably need to be asked now, as much as I wont put it all on him.

It is incredibly worrying. Again weve thrown a manager in without his own team, hes completely alone in there, without any of his own backroom staff whatsoever, no support from a higher level from someone who knows football etc.

Its a recipe for disaster when you write it all out. Madness and sheer incompetence.

Hammy89 likes this.
  2. saltire78

Yes, we do, but we don't need all 12 now. Doing that is the trap that will kill us - 12 bang average players who do little to nothing to improve us.

Get in 4 or preferably 5 good signings, to get us a functional team on the day - GK, RB, LW, ST possibly a LB and then solidify that until the January window. In that window we need to do the same again. Possibly need to do it again in the next summer window too... We need quality over quantity, as the bulk of our squad is still ok for Scotland if supplemented with good players.

I was actually impressed with our defence tonight given they had an average age of about 22ish, and they still burst a gut trying. Not finished product by any measure but deserving of development over next year, and probably good enough for lesser Scottish teams as squad players.

Building a complete squad is 2 seasons worth of work...

3. James Gold Member Gold Member

I'll say it time and time again I never understood why when were told we were going in a different direction he was brought in to shadow Lawwell. It's like painting a wall before you knock it down

Cena, Artorias, charlietully and 3 others like this.
  4. saltire78

Because that's how ALL businesses do it... Besides, even seeing how the previous guy does it so you can learn how NOT to do it is useful, if that's all you take from it.

It's far too early to guage McKay too, as well as Ange. Between the delays with the summer, the Euros, covid impacts and the sheer scale of work to grapple, I'm giving both the season for transition, so long as they don't do anything stupid. There's warning signs on both, but they're both going to have to effectively break it to fix it with the mess they've inherited...

I believe that with 2 good transfer windows we'll be competing for the league. Europe doesn't interest me this year, nor do the cups. It's all rebuild the structure and focus on the league for me.

5. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    It’s not actually. Most CEO’s are out the door(gardening leave etc) and the new CEO is supposed to be able to hit the ground running.

Hammy89 likes this.
  6. saltire78

That's for sackings/severance agreements... Normal retirements, barring health concerns or some hidden scandal, take months of transition with a new guy walked in to prevent loss of shareholder/customer confidence

7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Aye, all branches of John Lewis maybe. When you're running a club the size of Celtic your supposed to have the experience and understanding to come in and get on with the job.

It's obvious that McKay is just a middle management patter merchant whos been brought in to dazzle folk with buzzwords, while Desmond and his merry band of Tory chums play the world's shittest game of football manager with our once great club.

McKagan and Free the Adblock like this.
  8. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Who's that?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

NomDePlum likes this.
  9. saltire78

This entire thing smacks of the Ferguson retirement and Moyes hire at Man U. Ferguson burned the team to the ground on the way out and it feels like Lawell and Lennon did the same. No way the guys are fixing this in a month, and definitely not if we don't get more in over the rest of the window. Piling more * on them won't help, but may well make it all much worse... We don't want to be sheep, but we need to back those 2 as they restructure/rebuild. My anger is firmly with the upper echelons of the board

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    NomDePlum likes this.
  11. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Lawwell leaving when he did is half the problem. He should have gone when Lennon went, giving McKay a fresh start and seeing what was wrong with the club first hand, not through tainted specs.

Some of the top companies stagger CEO appointments to stop the rot(influence). Thats why people get sacked. That’s on the board for not getting him out the door earlier. To say that’s how ALL companies do it, it’s just not the case and is not an understanding of business.

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ryan Christie's idol

Artorias likes this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sorry that first bit is just pish @saltire78 . No way we can compare how Celtic is run against how Man Utd was run when Ferguson was there.

I do however, @saltire78 agree with the rest of what you are saying. Our current position is dire but really we are only up against one real opponent: SEVCO, and we are relatively well resourced. The only disparity between ourselves and anyone else in the Scottish Leagues is well within our control. Granted Europe is different.

Absolutely no one should be giving up on the league for us this year. If they do then they should go support someone else. There is nothing unfair or unfortunate about our position. It is self-inflicted. Sevco flatter to deceive. They are literally a team we laughed at 3 seasons ago, and beat in 3 competitions the season before last. How many good players have they added since then?

The difference for Sevco was their manager gaining confidence and understanding what he wants his players to do.

I may be mistaken but I already think we have a manager who has both those qualities and has more about him. If so, then domestically this season is ours for the taking. I know some are hoping for 6 - 8 new players yet but I do think our current manager maybe can do more with less. We've frequently regretted our purchases or left them on the bench without reward. Maybe even if we don't get those 6 or 8 additional signings we shouldn't lower our expectations too much?

saltire78 and JamesM09 like this.
  14. oh bhoy

'dom' is proving to be a modern and world class *!

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  15. Martybhoy53

How to peel an orange in his back pocket with a boxing glove on with the master Lawwell.

Sgt Neppers* and Artorias like this.
  16. JamesM09

Why did we hire someone that needed the shadow the previous failure anyway?

Here’s a radical concept: hire someone with experience that knows what they’re * doing.

craigtheceltic, Peej and oh bhoy like this.
  17. fourleafclover

Really needs to get a move on.

The back 5 last night would of been lucky to start for our reserve team in the past.

infact the likes of Aberdeen and hibs probably have a back 5 of similar standard or better .

The fact we have went with Murray a 18 year old CB nobody had heard of or seen(thought the young man did well) and never seen anything of the 2 new guys from sheff wed suggests to me they are not good enough and we won’t be seeing much of them this season .

They need to try and get as many quality players in as possible this window. I then would expect him to put the new structure in place before the jan transfer window.

Dof and a proper scouting system so we can properly start planning for the future.

This approach to transfers and team building can only be described as fire fighting and scattergun

18. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The one good thing that has come from the shambles we have been in is the excellent humour it has inspired.

19. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don’t think anyone in their right mind is suggesting he should have sorted all the problems out within 3 months but it clear as day we needed a new recruitment leader, that hasn’t happened. We needed new scouts, or more scouts, that hasn’t happened. We needed a team on the pitch that could at least compete, that hasn’t happened. He needed to back Ange, that hasn’t happened. He said he wanted to put his own mark on things, that hasn’t happened. The one thing he has done is shift in some deadwood and bring a little bit of cash in but all in? It’s not good enough and it means * all to us as supporters when the incompetence from the board is continuing all while a manager has called the same board, is it 3 times now for their lack of transfer signings to help the team? That defence we played last night is unforgivable. That’s down to the board and Dominic McKay. No one else. He’s the one hesitating on signings, he’s the one who told us what we wanted to hear when in reality, he’s done sweet * all. When was the last fan media? When they first came in? He’s a patter merchant.

Martybhoy53 and AdamRS like this.
  20. JamesM09

People need to some making up fantasies in their head about McKay being one of us or a forlorn White Knight desperately struggling on our behalf against the evil board.

Where does that * even come from?

He's their representative. He was hired by them solely to implement their will and how they want things run. Are people seriously suggesting the board hired a CEO that's the antithesis of everything they want?

He has no intention of modernising the club in any significant way. Even if he did, he probably has no * clue how to do it properly, being completely inexperienced. He just said what you wanted to hear, I honestly don't think it could be more obvious.

Free the Adblock likes this.