1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    For me, it’s not too much to turn down just now. Particularly because we had the entirely unexpected sale of Frimpong which provided us with extensive funds for a player not worth anywhere near the value we received for him. That was a very significant sale considering we will only receive £13/14m for Edouard based on the current figures.

And yet, we are in a position where we sold Frimpong for £10 million and still don’t have a right back in place for our first CL qualifiers.

If our top players wish to stay here (yes it’s a big if), then I have no understanding why folk would want to sell any of them. It is completely and utterly futile. Selling our very best players (unless unhappy) for any money derives no benefit to the Celtic fans IMO.

If anyone thinks we will reinvest any sizeable portion of the money received for Edouard then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.

As it stands, I have a feeling Edouard would be happy to stay with us but I can’t substantiate that any more than the information that we all already know and that is already out there.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I noted in the above article it said PSG had a 40% sell on clause. There is no way I can believe Lawwell broke Celtic's transfer record paying 9m for Edouard and agreed a 40% sell on clause. Not a chance that was agreed to. There probably is a sell on clause that is related to a percentage of the sell on profits but more like in the 5% to at most 15% range I just cannot believe its anything even close to 40%.

Peej and MickeyyMack like this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You seriously think Eddie would be happy to stay here?

Boyata was allowed to run down his contract after being offered £9m with 10 months left. The Board will not let it happen again, particularly in a pandemic when our revenue has taken a hit.

They could keep Eddie and he could get a Julien style injury that ruled him out for the season. £20m transfer fee + £1.5m in wages straight down the pan. It's not going to happen. It's best for all parties if he moves on this summer. It's then down to the club to support Ange with an adequate replacement. They're not going to be anywhere near his quality at peak but we should hopefully be able to find someone that can do the business and develop at us.

thailandceltic likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The actual clause is 40% of the profit above £9m.

So for a £20m they'd bank 40% of £11m = £4.4m. Sizeable still but not the £8m that the MSM would have you believe.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    20m is a fair price so off ye go Eddy. At least 8-10 of that needs spending on his replacement (We will probs spend 3m on some * dud) and then the other 10 reinvested in a LB & Gk while we deal with another CM and another RB with other cash we should have stored up.

Wullywanbaw likes this.
  6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    OK that makes much more sense. So if we are selling Edouard for a guaranteed 18.5m then its 40% of that 9.5m so a little under 4m rising to about 4.5m if we get the add ons from Brighton. Bottom line given Edouard only has a year left on his deal getting about 14.5m for sure right now and maybe a bit more with add ons is decent.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  7. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Brighton have been calling bullshit on this story all along. Even as recently as the weekend

But who am I to argue with the 'official bid' DR exclusive...

8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I’m not looking at this from a board perspective mostly - I’m looking at it from a fan and Ange/players perspective. Of course the board will be rubbing their hands looking at the potential for £20m to add to the coffers and fall into the proverbial black hole.

My belief was that we kept Boyata to try and contend on all fronts on that season including CL. The similarity in his situation is that we sold Dembele and Armstrong for a combined ~£26m around the time we were getting offers. Likewise this year we have sold Ajer and Frimpong for a combined £23m + all the other deadwood like Hendry and El Hamed.

The board will see dollar signs with an Edouard sale but if they had any speculate to accumulate acumen about them then they would look at him as our best shot at UCL qualification this season and auto qualification for next season. Potentially worth far more than the £14m we would sell him for.

The injury situation you alluded to could happen to any player at any time so don’t see that as a justification.

Yeah I think he would prefer to stay in an attempt to get a better club than Brighton when his time comes - he is well above that level of club. Also think he is happy because Bolingoli is back. Also he has been in and involved in the team during most of the close season unlike our unhappy players like Ajer and Ntcham or the likes of Tierney, Hooper and Van Dijk in previous seasons. I think he has looked quite sharp in his games this season too.

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Eddy out and Diego in...:ange2:

seanm likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Imagine wanting away from a club like Celtic to go to * Brighton

Smithy, scuzzy, Hammy89 and 2 others like this.
  12. seanm

Nice beach lol HH

MickeyyMack likes this.
  13. john2061

He's thinking when playing the man city and United and Chelsea that someone might come in for him the following season just like van * when he went to Liverpool .

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Unfortunately, Brighton run their club in a much more elite manner than we currently do business..

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. Bonobhoy

Couldn't give a * where this scumbag goes..as long as he does and get money back at least.

16. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aw * up

King of Kings and JC Anton like this.
  17. Bonobhoy

You * up tough guy.

18. CelticBoabie

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Anybody want to buy a I wanna be Edouard T-shirt?

MickeyyMack and Bonobhoy like this.
  19. Bonobhoy

Ill take,since my supermarket ran out of * paper

20. Al Bootyerbaws

Not sure why folk get annoyed at players leaving us for the likes of Southampton, Brentford, Brighton etc. They know fine well they aren't joining a bigger team, it's the league and the wages that is the deal breaker or else they would just stay here. Get Eddie punted and get the money invested back into the playing squad pronto.