1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official GAA thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Gabriel, Dec 6, 2014.

Discuss The Official GAA thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Aidan O’Shea

Mayo for Sam.

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well if your going to beat Dublin this is your year I think. But right now Kerry have to be the clear favourites as much as neither you nor I like that.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I hope next year they introduce a reformed championship. I like the idea of the League forming the basis for the championship with the provincial series in between.

I liked the ideas in this article in terms of changing the format:
    Canning: Football summer can benefit from league link (rte.ie)

Gabriel likes this.
  4. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    The linking of league and championship is the only way to be honest. At least that way every county is guaranteed 7 games of summer football, and are given the chance to fill their stadiums etc. The fact a lad from Leitrim trains as hard and devoted as much time to training as a guy From Kerry or Devlin only to play 1 championship game (2 in a normal year) is a travesty.

I do think provincial championships should be maintained as stand alone competitions played in March, that way you do keep an element of tradition. But restructuring of the championship is absolutely necessary and the game as a whole would profit from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eire4 likes this.
  5. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    In order to make the provincial series more meaningful, the winners of each competition would be guaranteed two home games and top team status in the All-Ireland series. Here there would be four group of four teams, with the top two emerging to play in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

This I would have issue with. It pretty much guarantees Kerry, Dublin and Mayo this status as things have stood over the last decade while 4 Ulster team currently in division one for the 2nd year fight it out for one place.

No top team advantages and a totally open draw is the only fair way to go.

6. Aidan O’Shea

Mayo to beat Dublin and lose to Kerry in the final is a stick on :giggle1:

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I am shaking my head as that would be so harsh but it looks like the most likely out come right now.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I can see the point your making there. Not saying I agreed with the format in that article 100% but overall yes I do agree with it. If your going to keep the provincial championships ( and I would like to and think this is a good way to do so) you have to give some reward to the county that wins each one.

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Absolutely in agreement with you there and I liked overall the suggested format in this article. IMHO the league forming part of the Championship is a must how you keep and incorporate the provincial competitions is up for debate.

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    The league doesn't feel it needs an extra reward above the cup and medals so why should a provincial championship.

Before the advent of the back door it felt like a massive disadvantage for Ulster teams having to navigate the minefield of a provincial championship to make a semi final whereas the big guns from the other provinces had to prepare for one game and could afford to be coming to their peak for the semi.

Derry win an all Ireland and then get knocked out in the preliminary round of the Ulster Championship the following year.

Whereas as this new format will come as a breath of fresh for Ulster teams initially is is only a matter of time before we look at Kerry, Dublin and Mayo get an advantage while we have to share it out.

Before corona virus despite the prestige of winning the Ulster title it became secondary toward the easier path to winning an all Ireland. Losing and having an easier route through the backdoor was often seen as preferable to winning an Ulster title. You would regularly here people say they could build momentum in the qualifiers

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/back-door-winners-25903900.html

Doing a little research and came across the above. 4 of 7 teams are from Ulster and does not include Tyrone all Ireland back door win.

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In this format you are rewarded in terms of the championship by how you perform in the league
    If there is no reward for winning the provincial championship then you may as well stop playing them altogether or just turn them into pre-season friendly competitions like the O'Byrne Cup etc. For me I would like to find a way to keep them as part of the Championship. What the reward for winning a provincial championship would be is open to debate. Personally I would simply give them the reward of being one of the 2 seeded teams for the last 16 groups.

Gabriel likes this.
  12. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    This sounds more equitable than two home ties.

eire4 likes this.
  13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yes I think that is fair. As I mentioned I was not nailed on to the format in that article 100% but agreed with it overall. The key is the league been linked into the Championship directly. But I do like the idea of the old provincial championships been kept as part of the format albeit in a much reduced role with the only reward been you get to be a seeded team for the last 16 groups stages in terms of the draw for that. I think that is a very fair system.

Gabriel likes this.
  14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Question for the GAA experts on here. I had an American asking me about eligibility rules and I was explaining to him the community aspect of the GAA. How like for myself I grew up mostly in Stillorgan so I played for Kilmacud Crokes. I was born in Dublin so I played for Dublin as a minor etc. But I know it is possible to transfer in limited circumstances from a club standpoint but could not find anything that clearly explained that online and also is it possible to play for a county other then the one you were born in. I am guessing again there are only very limited circumstances where a player can play for a county other then the one they were born in but not sure how that works.

15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    A player can transfer club if he lives or works in the parish. As far as I know a player can only transfer county if he has first transferred to the club within that county.

For a while the GAA changed the rule to allow weaker counties poach players whose parents were born in that county. I am not sure of the specific rule but it allowed a dub called Darcy play for Leitrim.

Edit: Actually probably just live rather than live and work

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    eire4 likes this.
  16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Thanks for that.

Gabriel likes this.
  17. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  18. Aidan O’Shea

Monaghan win today would be ideal but I don’t see them having enough to beat Tyrone. Also think Kerry would flatten them.

19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    What an ulster championship we are having this year. If there’s another game that rivals any of the top three games in Ulster it will be a great year for the GAA

20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Cracking game, must be because its in Dublin..