1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Backs in Central Areas

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Jul 24, 2021.

Discuss Full Backs in Central Areas in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

This is one thing I'm not quite sure I understand the benefits of tactically. We've seen Taylor in particular receiving the ball from the centre backs in a central area. Clearly tactical.

Anyone shed light on the benefits of this?

Jo-Jo-Buffon and Celtic Bhoy 94 like this.
  2. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/a-glimpse-of-ange-ball/

Touches on it here - allowing the midfield to play higher up when we build. Can see the sense in it with Lahm/Cancelo. Taylor/Ralston - not so much.

Let's hope the board back Ange to get the players he needs as I think we have the potential to be a scary prospect going forward.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think the theory is that it pulls other opposition players into midfield or commits them to staying on the wings. Either way that is supposed to mean either the full backs or the wingers get more space.

If its the wingers with more space the CBs are supposed to play it straight to them. If the full backs are in space in a central area means they can take a pass and then are in a position to push on or play it to another player further up the pitch. So we get further up the pitch quicker which should help a pressing game.

Definitely didn't work today although think there has been glimpses of it working in other pre-season days.

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Regardless of formation or tactics, if you don't have the players it's pointless, you look at the game today we were cut right opened time after time, massive gaping holes in our defence.

The high press is all well and good but put's the defence under extra pressure, if you play against a team with a bit of guile and quality they will play thru the press and exploit our weak back-line.

5. horseshoe

Reading that it does sound good on paper, if you've got the players for it, but yeah ralston and taylor trying to play like that has us humped.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think the purpose is to have options in midfield to open teams up, it works quite well in attack so far. Against them midweek we were getting really good openings the 10-15 minutes before Bitton went off and then the tactics went out the window really.

Same again today, first half hour we played through them well a good few times getting in behind their midfield and space out wide. Enables 1-2s and quicker passing and lay-offs and movement through the park quickly as everyones always in a certain area so you (once you are used to it) can play more flowing football.

We're not seeing the best of it through as Ralston is useless at it and Taylor is ok but once we have new guys in who suit it, it should work better.

I think it will actually work really well in the League, Europe it will be dangerous though against good teams as if we lose the ball when playing out theres plenty of space.

7. CountyDownFaithful

Like the concept of it but it doesn’t look pretty with the players we currently have.

8. James Gold Member Gold Member

Genuinely If he's going to play this system we would be as well playing McGregor and Christie at full back for the time being as they won't be playing full back anyway

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We just simply don't have the player's for it..

I think it'll work well for us this season as we'll play through side's domestically and have real overloads in the middle..

Has to be really quick full back's who can come in and out and also be extremely comfortable on the ball, particularly when pressed..

No easy to find..

Sometimes better having actual quick centre mids as the fullbacks..

10. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He wants to implement a style and is trying to get the players used to it. There's no point in him changing our formation to fit the players he has at his disposal because we seen the same group struggle last season playing 3 at the back, 4 at the back and whatever other formation. He has to stick to his guns and hope the board back him in bringing in players that suit the way he wants to play. It might not look pretty just now but in the long run, it's for the best.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    As has been said, it's a great concept but for me there's perhaps a reason why only peps Bayern and City sides have employed it.

I can't think of another side which has? Domestically we will get away with it but even WITH better fullbacks I can see us getting mullered in Europe tbh.

I hope there's a balance. It makes it so easy to counter if we make even a slight mistake, which is always going to happen in a game with poorer players against top quality opposition who press well.

Again, even if we do bring in better full backs, they aren't going to be Phillip Lahm or Kyle Walker.

My conclusion on it would be:

- domestically it will see us open up sides easier and score more goals
    - probably lose a few more but over the piece against the type of sides we play, should be OK
    - Europe, against better sides who will punish you, I'm worried.

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think it could be very beneficial. You need the players to make it happen though and you need to be pragmatic enough to change it up if it’s not working.

To be honest, against Midtjylland when we went down to ten I thought the manager showed some pragmatism without completely abandoning his attacking philosophy. The problem actually came when Midtjylland went down to ten themselves and we didn’t counter this.

I don’t know what happened today. I keep telling myself that Griffiths sideshow affected the whole club in the second half. Why the * did he get on the park? Not guilty of a crime? Fine. No grounds to sack him? Fair enough.

Why the * is he getting on the park?

The67Sound likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think it was our first pre season game and Barkas was in the right back position and passed it along the 18 yard line to Bitton who was 16 yards out right between the posts. Every other player was halfway line or further forward. :giggle1:

My ticker cannot take too much of that.

The67Sound and Mr Shelby like this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Game against Midjytlaand on about 3 mins, Taylor gor the ball in CM and tripped over it giving it away letting them counter, my 65 year old da rose from his seat, spat out a portion of his beer and screamed "* IS THE FULLBACK DAIN AT CENTRE MID WHITS GAWN OAN".

Think there will be a much higher risk of heart failure amongst the celtic da brigade under Postecoglu tbh:giggle1:

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

With fullbacks comfortable passing and moving it could be devastating. How do you mark full backs who come inside, midfielders who become inverted wingers, wingers who become strikers and centre backs who become full backs. Oh and a goalkeeper who becomes a DM :giggle1:

Genuinely think we will take 10 off somebody this season when it clicks.

I also think we could lose 10 when it doesn’t.

16. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The idea is that it moves us up the park, pushing our centre midfielders higher and therefore our front line higher and the opposition midfield deeper. What it requires though is full backs who are good on the ball and we have absolutely none of them.

Buy proper fullbacks or give up on that system, it’s practically that simple.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Let the CB’s defend instead of stepping up and having the fullbacks as the last line. Much prefer it.

18. BigDoggyWoofWoof

With two inexperienced centre halves and a rotten keeper, I can't see how we're not going to get carved upon by a long ball on the counter on a somewhat regular basis. Even with better personnel, our central defence has been characterised by poor positioning and decision-making. The strategy seems to place the most pressure on the area of the pitch equipped to deal with it least.

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Ange seems to live or die by his belief that this system will yield more goals than it loses.

It didn’t today.

He believes it will.

It’s going to be * interesting if nothing else. I honestly don’t think he gives a monkeys if we lose 6 goals as long as we score 7. Mad * :giggle1:

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  20. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I was more concerned about where the full backs were defensively always seemed like they were miles out of position when we defended.