1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Thought he was excellent last night, needs to watch the tackling on the ground though but that hopefully will come with experience. Mind you some of the tackles were delicious, love seeing a defender do that from time to time.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Honestly, he never done that last season I think it’s an Ange thing.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Don’t get me wrong mate, I do love a meaty tackle (ooh err :46:) he just needs to pick his spots. Opposition Players facing away from goal aren’t a huge threat at that moment in time. That being said there was a tackle in the first half I think that was reminiscent of Jozos on Kenny Miller, love that *.

NomDePlum and Liam Scales like this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Don't understand the talk of a loan or replacing. The boy got into the team through hard work and taking his chance when we needed him to step up, he doesn't look to be easing up on that either.

Think he will develop nicely if given the chance this season. Julien has been injury prone and we know nothing of Starfelt or Uroghide over a season yet.

5. celtic warrior

Hardly put a foot wrong last season, had to play with Duffy at times in a back 3 and as an individual still looked solid and composed in defence.

Now he is continuing where he left off and getting game time and he's really kicking on. Deserves every bit of praise he receives.

Dan Breen likes this.
  6. Dip 'n' Swerve

are we putting this young lad into the fire to become a starter every week.
    from the games I have seen he does 75-80% of the things well but always seems to make a few rash decisions - which of course can be amended through training and playing with an experienced head - my worry is his pace on the turn

in the big league games we cannot afford players to make rash mistakes as they cost us massively - did he need to make that tackle during mid week? same with laxalt and Kenny last season etc - silly free kicks from dangerous areas and we crumble and concede.

7. Dip 'n' Swerve

a wise head to look upon would be great talk of this man city player in loan in Holland - he seems to highly thought of be nice to get him in even on loan shore up a patched defence - never want to see bitton in the team again.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just reckon this guy doesn't get the credit he deserves. Sure, he has made the odd mistake, all part of a learning process. But if we were after paying 3 or 4M for him, every * would be creaming themselves.
    I have absolute 100% faith in the boy, get him the right partner-hopefully the Swedish guy- and that's center of defense a long way towards sorted.

9. Maestro 08

Can't help but feel if he was performing the exact same way but he was bought in from some Croatian team for a few mill then he would be getting lauded, especially at his age.

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He would, people have been really harsh on him when look at the players he had to work with last season; Brown, Barkas, Bain, Duffy, Taylor and Kenny.
    Put him on loan? Why are people suggesting it, because we now have Starfelt? You can't play a season with Jullien and Starfelt. Welsh will get plenty of games this season as we will likely play 50 odd games. I also think learning to play with the pressure from Celtic and its fans is something you can't get from a loan at Aberdeen or Dundee.

11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    It’s mad to see people saying about making that tackle etc but * me, he won the ball, the ref was absolutely shocking. Any other ref that’s a throw in for them end of.

Welsh has no control over a poor ref or T-Rex hands letting in the goal.

He was excellent the tackle was fine, it wasn’t a foul but a very poor ref decision at the end of the day.

I’ve seen again people talking about pace? Really he had no issues the other night covering and mopping up catch up to players and his reading of the game is excellent.

Maybe it’s because he is Scottish people are so critical I think at his age he is miles ahead of Ajer when he was 20 and nearly as good as him now.

I hope we play him more this season and gets loads of minutes, he is one to watch for the future and possible future captain in my eyes.

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No way should the goalie not be able to handle a direct shot from that angle. It was laughable the attempt Barkas made.

Foul or not, having a goalie that doesn't make that as an easy save is a real issue.

13. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    100% agree.

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. Jeffrey

I think he’s a player, but then again, I thought O’Connell was decent for us as well.

We will know this season what he’s really made of!

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

O’Donnell makes Welsh look like Maldini.

He was * awful. Quite a number of fans seemed to be disappointed we sold him as well, which was baffling. He was never good enough for us.

Welsh might not be a first choice for us but he’s a decent defender.

martin_d likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’ve been impressed by Welsh in a lot of his first team outings and his performances this season will go a long way to proving what his ceiling is.

martin_d and Rydo1888* like this.
  17. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I know you know mean O'connell, but this still works :67:

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:ange2:

HTG likes this.
  19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed a big season for Welsh in terms of his long term future at Celtic and Tuesday night was a positive start I felt. At the very least given the large quantity of games we play every season we need 4 senior center backs we can count on and Welsh certainly has at least got himself into that 3rd or 4th spot for us if everyone is fit. Although I must admit at this point he has not convinced me he can be a starter for us yet at the level we need.

20. gerry_bhoy

Will get a lot of game time this season. We need 3-4 capable CBs.