1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
  2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Love it.. he * hates the press and will be taking no * from them..:ange2:

Rydo1888*, cat123 and Wee Baldy like this.
  3. jj81

Viduka left early 2000s mate

4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

:56::56:

kinglenny likes this.
  5. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    That's class the Scottish press will hate he's not playing there pishy game lol.

6. phreeky

haha I'm not sure the Scottish press will give him anything worse than he has been through before. He copped some brutal treatment as the Australian NT youth and then later senior manager.

The public have, for the most part, always treated him quite well though - if * goes downhill then I expect the fan/public treatment will be a new experience for him.

cat123 likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BEING Ange Postecoglou’s career adviser must have been a relatively straightforward job. The Celtic manager is singularly focused on his role in life as a football coach, and is only too happy to tell you the occupations he has no interest in.

When asked, for instance, how long goalkeeper Vasilis Barkas may be out of action after dislocating a finger in the warm-up before the recent friendly against Bristol City, a withering response came back in his broad Aussie drawl: “I’m not a doctor mate.”

So, when he was asked if he was concerned that an early European exit might impact Celtic’s financial situation, and thus hamper his rebuild plans for his squad, the answer may have been easy to predict.

“I’m not an accountant mate,” he said. “I’m a football manager.”

It doesn’t feel though that Postecoglou is being evasive or dismissive when using this form of retort, but rather that he genuinely couldn’t care less.

“When people start talking to me about finances they miss the essence of what I’m about,” he said.

“I’m not interested. I want to win games, I want to win trophies, I want to bring special nights to here.

“The finances are for other people.”

It is easy to see why fans at Postecoglou’s previous clubs, and seemingly the entire Australian football fraternity, have such disciple-like devotion to the cult of ‘Ange-ball’.

Scottish football can at times - you may have noticed - be something of a negative environment. Postecoglou may rather deflate when confronted by the minutiae of his role, but even at 55, when he talks football he does so with the wide-eyed enthusiasm of a child.

That, along with an encouraging performance against Midtjylland on the whole, may explain why at least some members of a sceptical Celtic support seem to be warming to the Australian. The huge ovation he and his team received from the 9000 fans inside Celtic Park was certainly appreciated.

“It was brilliant,” said Postecoglou. “It was a special night for me because to walk out the tunnel as Celtic manager in a Champions League game, the response was very special.

“I guess that's why I love the game. You talk about finances, that’s the last thing on my mind when you get a response like that from people who love this football club. That's what motivates me.

“They saw enough to encourage them to get right behind this group of players. Age alone, look at the line-up we had [on Tuesday night], we had inexperience and having a crowd behind

them makes an enormous difference.

“I hope they left with a little bit more optimism about where they are heading.”

Postecoglou mentions the inexperience of his team on Tuesday night, but he is keen to stress that there was enough quality within it not to be considered as patchwork.

"I think that is a bit disrespectful to be fair,” he said. “There [were] internationals out there and some young kids who are doing everything for this club.

“I thought we created more chances and limited them to maybe a couple of shots on goal. In general, I thought we played some decent football.

“We had to play a large part of the game with 10 men until their player got sent off, and we had two very young centre-halfs, so there is frustration at the result, but not the performance. The players put in a tremendous shift.

“The guys who are given the responsibility of wearing a pretty heavy shirt in a Champions League tie, they gave everything they possibly could.”

The same group of players will be asked to go the well again next Wednesday as Celtic travel to Herning for the second leg against Midtjylland, but with the away goals rule abolished by UEFA, Postecoglou doesn’t concede that the Danes are now favourites to progress after the score draw in Glasgow.

“It’s half-time in a game and I don’t think anyone has an advantage or a disadvantage,” he said.

“From our perspective, we’ve just got to go over there and perform as we did [on Tuesday night].

“We weren’t well prepared for [Tuesday], we’ve had so many disruptions in pre-season for a number of reasons, and we literally had one training session with this group of players.

“For them to put in the effort they did...there were quite a number who weren’t ready for 90 minutes, but they found something extra.

“There are eight days between [the first leg] and the next fixture, and I think we’ll be better prepared for the next game.”

OziBeerMan, Rydo1888*, Crilly and 7 others like this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Love this guy. I'm turning into an ausie fan boy :56:

Rydo1888*, Crilly and Wee Baldy like this.
  9. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Same he’s a very likeable guy

10. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I like that response…

Rodgers would have rambled for 10mins trying to sound smart constantly saying “like I say”.

Lennon would have raged like a mad man.

Only thing I’d add is he should have called the journo a drongo * at the end.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Rydo1888*, Crilly, Wee Baldy and 3 others like this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Another good interview.

He's very much aware of the fans feelings, for sure.
    And he appreciates the fans and I reckon he fully knows the fans are on his side here as well.

A good start, better than any of us expected.

On to next week, let's see it continue.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Wee Baldy likes this.
  12. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Love Ange already lol, just pray it turns out well for him and us of course.

Rydo1888*, Wee Baldy and Artorias like this.
  13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I approve of him not giving a * about finances. The club as a whole should think less about player value in monetary terms, and more in footballing terms.

cat123 likes this.
  14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Hahahahahahahaha, that's a belter. Absolutely brushes off any pish talk from reporters and I * love it.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  15. jambo_cfc

I think we may see a different media than we are used to , i think they will suck up his * to try and get more out him but hes not daft. Lennon they knew no matter what he would speak , rodgers would also speak because of his ego

Wee Baldy and cat123 like this.
  16. Mr Cleansheets

Interesting observation.

Why do you think that? (Apart from the fact that Aussies are notoriously gifted in a swedge...)

17. jambo_cfc

the media want a story and so far they ate not getting much out of him , so i think if results are decent and performances are good then the media might play them up a lot more than usualt to hopefully get ange in side and maybe get a bit more from him in the hope that he will trip up at a point

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  18. Mr Cleansheets

OK, story checks out...

JamesM09 likes this.
  19. horseshoe

Didn't the tabloids try to pal it up with Deila for a wee while when he first arrived? It won't last, be knives out in no time, negative headlines sell more papers and get more clicks.

martin_d and The big Viduka like this.
  20. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Ange ball at Olympics. Australia 1 v Argentina 0 half time. Surely not? Argentina 10 men.
    Arzani on fire as is Soutter