1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RiquelmeCSC

I genuinely don’t think anyone wants him. He will stay for the year, possibly a move in January if he scores a few but right now I’m convinced there are no clubs teally looking at him.

honda likes this.
  2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah, Dembele only scored 16 in his second season. I honestly think people are forgetting Eddy's 2nd and 3rd season. He was absolutely fantastic, high amount of assists and goals.

Mr Shelby, Ciaran_67 and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    My thinking exactly. I thought there was something wrong with me that I couldn't see this superstar that everyone else could see. I remember thinking that kind of money was a huge risk for someone who wasn't anywhere near the quality the money should have been spent on. Fans got swept up on him being Celtics next big hope and for a huge transfer fee further down the line. Even in the face of his obvious failure to live up to expectations folk kept making excuses for him and as for him his ego became too big for his actual ability. He probably believes that he's not performing because of where he's playing. He was a different player for the French under 21's but not everyone who's good at that level makes it.

Born green and charlietully like this.
  4. Dip 'n' Swerve

he is on the downward curve in the last 12 months - guilty of missing clear cut chances - he isn't a ruthless clinical striker and that is what will cost him a move to a so called big club - not influential in games and a shocking first touch with more times than enough he tries to dribble through players - very frustrating to watch lately.

id take 10 million for him no problem.

5. saltire78

Cannot understand people slating our best striker. He's not deteriorated, just became disheartened by his time here - his persistent performance for French U21 show he can perform when happy with the setup. Lennon, covid and the promise of a transfer that didn't happen have demoralised him, and we should move him on in best interests of both parties, but it should be with a bit of sadness we say we didn't see his 100%, not anger, as we handled pretty badly for last 2 seasons too

Ozzie Hoop and honda like this.
  6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

When he pumps in 3 goals next week he will crack a little smile, hear his songs from the fans, sign a 5 year extension and go onto score 50 this season in all competitions.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

saltire78 likes this.
  8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Best striker we’ve had since Larsson, for me. No one can take away what he has done for us in previous seasons.

9. JamesM09

This. This exactly.

:56:

Chieftain likes this.
  10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Apparently Viera is wanting him at Palace

11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Was he not rumoured to be interested in Christie too? They could save on taxis here.

12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Aye, I'm sure he liked Christie after his performance against Rennes a couple of years ago. The Eddy link comes from the new dvelopment coach at Palace. Apparently worked with Eddy at the PSG academy and is a big fan. Palace need a striker as well and Eddy would suit them to a tee.

NomDePlum likes this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

His ability has never been in doubt.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This is a mad post.

He wasn't at his best last season but to disregard all his his other efforts for us is daft, particularly as you're using a season which was a shocker for literally every player in the side barring one or two. There's so many influencing factors for a players form last season and we as fans can only use assumptions.

Your previous post on Dembele as well, his second season was worse than Edouards last year.

If you don't want us signing players like edouard in future then prepare for further mediocrity.

Celtic_Daft1888 likes this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Folk will still want him punted cos he's French and doesn't smile enough, probably.

Liam Scales and honda like this.
  16. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I believe he has been more loyal and committed than what’s made out too.

I mentioned this before, but he has actually stayed with us longer than most, if not all (?), of our big money sales.

His stats alone last year demonstrate he still brings his ability to the table and shows his commitment even when things were going * up.

The thing with Edouard is that his languid style of play and Lassiez-faire movement about the pitch has always been the case. It’s just that it’s reframed depending on how the team is doing as a whole. When we were winning everything right, left and centre everyone loved how ‘cool, calm and collected’ Eddy is. But when the * hits the fan at the club he becomes ‘lazy, not committed’ etc.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The debate has been done to death to be honest mate.

Personally I find it incredible how anyone can look at him during a game and think he's committed.

18. Born green

I literally said I'm basing it on previous seasons. Not only the last. I'm not a typically fickle football fan. I look at the big picture. Which is why I'd be more forgiving of the likes of Christie and Brown, because they have cash in the bank from previous seasons. Eddy was particularly bad last season, but I saw all of his flaws long before last year. Plus, I'm not disregarding his efforts, I just don't think he has contributed enough to be heralded as the best striker since Larsson.

Wasn't Dembele plagued with injury his last season? I may be misremembering though.

I'm generally in favour of our signing policy. Edouard was not part of that model. £9m for a 19(?) year old was insane. I'd happily buy more players in the same mould, but we got absolutely shafted in that deal. No way had he already proven he was worth £9m by then.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Starting to think our fans need a wee smile to perk themselves up every now and again, it seems to be a bone of contention.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The argument of whether or not he's the best striker is probably based on what someone classes as a good striker. Is he the best striker we have had since Larsson in my opinion? I would probably say so, yes. I actually think Craig Bellamy is probably the best striker we have had since Larsson but he wasn't here long enough. I don't think there is any doubt that Edouard is the most complete striker since Larsson. Whether he's the best striker or not will depend on what you like as a striker. Some like their strikers to be penalty box predators like Hooper and some like them strong in the air, like Moussa. I think Edouard has the best all round game for a striker since Larsson.